Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 AM
PhalGuy

Default Solution anyone!

Hello everyone!

We are having an exceptional summer here in montreal but we also having heat
wave.
I`m growing under fluorescent and sometimes, the temperature is over 35 C. I
have a fan in front of the phal but it only pushes hot air. I was wondering
what would be the best solution to cool down my plants ! I was thinking
closing the fluorescent light ! Is a couple of days without bright light
would be ok ? Is this a good idea!

I already lost some plants because of a nasty heat wave in july and I want
to stop this!

Any idea?

--
Claude

www.picturetrail.com/phalguy

Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old 04-08-2005, 02:26 AM
Ray

35°C is certainly not too high for phals, and the heat generated by a
fluorescent fixture is probably not a significant factor. Air movement -
even warm air movement - is a plus, as is early-in-the-day misting.

I have heard of folks putting a tray of ice in front of the fan, but I
cannot estimate how effective that might be.

news:1123115420.b8bbe6c68ec0a25fadd5022f5b23d7d6@t eranews...

Old 04-08-2005, 02:42 AM
PhalGuy

thanks Ray !

Old 04-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Niek Hanckmann

Hello PhalGuy,

I asume that you are not growing your Phals in a greenhouse, in that
case you wouldnt need tubelighting during such an exceptional summer.
When you are growing indoors and not at the windows-sill, I wouldn't cut
on the light if I were you. Since temperatures are high, the plant will
expect more intense light in stead of less.
The best solution to save your plants is to realize a high air-humidity.
This means regular misting (up to several times a day) and keeping the
trays, tabel or the floor wet. Keep your fan on and the doors and
windows closed, that also helps to keep humidity high.

Succes, keep cool!

Grtz. Niek

Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 PM
dusty

"PhalGuy" wrote in
news:1123115420.b8bbe6c68ec0a25fadd5022f5b23d7d6@t eranews:

Hello everyone!

We are having an exceptional summer here in montreal but we also
having heat wave.
I`m growing under fluorescent and sometimes, the temperature is over
35 C. I have a fan in front of the phal but it only pushes hot air. I
was wondering what would be the best solution to cool down my plants !
I was thinking closing the fluorescent light ! Is a couple of days
without bright light would be ok ? Is this a good idea!

I already lost some plants because of a nasty heat wave in july and I
want to stop this!

Any idea?

I have a few phals in my greenhouse and last week it was 40 C to 42 C in
there and it hasn't bothered them but I do have fans running any time the
temp goes above 23 C I do water more often but that doesn't help to cool
things down as our cold water is now running 24 to 26 C

can't wait for the promised cool down.
Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty
Old 04-08-2005, 04:15 PM
?

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:30:15 -0400 in 1123115420.b8bbe6c68ec0a25fadd5022f5b23d7d6@teran ews PhalGuy wrote:
Hello everyone!

We are having an exceptional summer here in montreal but we also having heat
wave.

Since you're that far north, you probably already have a humidifier
or few for comfort during the winter. Try sticking a cool mist or
ultrasonic one between the fan and the phals.
You might get a slight swamp cooler effect, plus I think it would
be more effective for humidity than the frequent misting.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 04-08-2005, 04:41 PM
PhalGuy

Thanks everyone!

Claude

rg...

Old 09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
keith ;-\)

Hi Claude, Someone in my orchid society(news letter article) recommended a
Shallow water mini fogger for increasing humidity.They have these at maplin
if you know of this company? I have included a link so you get a idea what
they are.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...35215&doy=9m8D
They also use them in terrariums for reptiles
http://www.wormman.com/pd_mini_fogger.cfm
Higher the temperature the higher humidity you will need.
Thanks Keith

"PhalGuy" wrote in message
news:1123170073.2be19cc2c1ebf4c3ad182d907a72f971@t eranews...
Thanks everyone!

Claude

rg...

Old 10-08-2005, 01:23 AM
?

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:41:29 GMT in keith ;-) wrote:
Hi Claude, Someone in my orchid society(news letter article) recommended a
Shallow water mini fogger for increasing humidity.They have these at maplin
if you know of this company? I have included a link so you get a idea what
they are.

Uggg, trim thy quotes...

For those of you in the US
http://www.mainlandmart.com/fogger1.html

Those with side businesses, the wholesale page is
http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggerwholesales.html

Since there are mechanically inclined types around here,
I'd be curious as to what could be designed around the
10 mister unit for greenhouse use.
But I suspect that a traditional disk humidfier would be
cheaper if less spectacular :-).

Mosquito solution anyone? dgk Lawns 0 03-06-2008 01:13 PM
Has anyone tried planting sprouted seeds in a starch solution? Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 1 30-06-2003 11:13 PM
Skimmer Solution BenignVanilla Ponds 0 03-06-2003 08:32 PM
watering solution needed Valkyrie Gardening 11 20-05-2003 03:20 PM
anyone got a solution for brown coastal ants? kyte Australia 3 09-04-2003 12:56 PM