Old 14-08-2005, 01:45 AM
Al

Default OGRES, have you guys seen this yet?

http://iloveorchidvendors.com/

Old 14-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Kenni Judd

Subject, of course, to learning the new rules, I'm pleased to see a
come-back. I thought the OGRES site was a valuable resource for orchid
buyers, and always provided a link to it from our site.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 15-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Robert Bedard

Since Al spilled the beans, people who are serious about helping
determining policy at the new version of OGRES should go to the
iloveorchidvendors.com site, and contact the advisor_inquiry e mail id
to get information about participating.

No promises, do not want too many people; but could use a few more.

rob't
Robert Bedard
iloveorchidvendors.com

Old 15-08-2005, 02:45 AM
Al

Well...the website was up there for everybody to see.... I am sorry if I
did something bad.

You could search the archives of this group to find the many discussions
about OGRES over the years.

Old 15-08-2005, 03:15 AM
tennis maynard

Al wrote:
http://iloveorchidvendors.com/

Darn! Just when it seemed to be gone for good, someone
has to go and restart a bad idea. Hopefully it won't
get off the ground!

Old 15-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Robert Bedard

If you aren't being facetious, you could join the advisory group and try
to shoot it down ...

;-)

Old 15-08-2005, 03:58 PM
?

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:16:53 -0700 in Robert Bedard wrote:

If you aren't being facetious, you could join the advisory group and try
to shoot it down ...

;-)

The whole thing seems to be designed to attract trolls.

Bad puns aside, having notes from the advisory group available
from the stub website may be nice. I don't want to know past history
on OGRES. I do have a more than healthy amount of cynicism on rating
systems in general and am curious if I need to turn the dial back slightly.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 15-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Dewitt

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:58:10 GMT, ?
wrote:

The whole thing seems to be designed to attract trolls.

It really didn't seem to before. Like any rating system, the user
needs to apply some intelligence to the responses and filter out
obvious trolls and malcontents. I thought the previous version worked
pretty well and provided useful information.

deg
Old 15-08-2005, 05:36 PM
tennis maynard

Robert Bedard wrote:

If you aren't being facetious, you could join the advisory group and try
to shoot it down ...

;-)

I'm not being facetious, but I don't think that's an
option; as presented the advisory board is just setting
policy, not deciding on the fate of the project.

Since the sponsor and others who may get involved are
obviously watching this list, I felt my best option was
to post here, and hopefully elicit similar replies.

Old 15-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Al

I was pointing out to Mr. Bedard that OGRES had been a subject of discussion
in this newsgroup many times before, if he didn't know that already. If he
was interested in seeing previous comments on the topic there are archive on
the internet.

Trolls attract trolls. They follow me around like so much unwashed family.

rg...

Old 15-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Robert Bedard

I happen to be the person that is attempting to ressurect OGRES.

I can assure you that the offer to help determine future policy is
genuine. It is not easy to come up with a system that is really fair.

It is also quite possible that it will not be ressurected if enough
people do not show interest.

I was not the one that originally posted about it here, and somebody
else brought it to my attention. I do not generally hang out here, but
as there seemed to be some interest, I thought it would be smart to pay
attention.

rob't

Old 16-08-2005, 02:45 AM
L_B_F

So, pray tell, what makes it a bad idea? Do you have any well thought
reasons or are you just slamming? Do you read resturant reviews?
Movie reviews? Those are OK, but not this?

lbf

Old 16-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Susan Erickson

On 15 Aug 2005 18:45:48 -0700, "L_B_F"
wrote:

So, pray tell, what makes it a bad idea? Do you have any well thought
reasons or are you just slamming? Do you read resturant reviews?
Movie reviews? Those are OK, but not this?

lbf

We did not use the site often. We had our faithful vendors and
did not venture into the unknown. But I thought it was useful
and generally truthful.

Opinion is opinion, and must always be taken with a look to the
speaker as well as to the subject. Do I generally agree with
what is being said by this person? Are they normally all hot
air? A grain of salt is always a good assist.

In some ways E-bay has it right. The buyer as well as the seller
collects feedback and the buyer is required to score or comment
on the seller.
SuE
Old 16-08-2005, 07:22 AM
tennis maynard

wrote:

So, pray tell, what makes it a bad idea? Do you have any well thought
reasons or are you just slamming? Do you read resturant reviews?
Movie reviews? Those are OK, but not this?

lbf

Anonymity. Lack of reciprocity, reliability.
Definitions (what constitutes a 'bad' plant? What's
blooming size? What about the person who complains
about the plant, advertised as a 5" seedling, that
"it will take years to bloom, because it's 36" tall at
maturity", when the plant received (cost $5) was
actually LARGER than advertised, at 6"??? Yet all you
see is the complaint about the plant being 'too small
and years from blooming'[actual case history]?????
We've had all this before, my reasons are the same as
last time.

I dealt with vendors panned on OGRES who were great,
and unfortunately with some wildly praised who were
absolutely, frighteningly horrible.

Better to ask friends or groups if you have questions
about a vendor.

I work in a service industry, and 90% of our
complaints are unfounded, exaggerated, or outright
lies. My opinion of people has dropped sharply since
this and I think many, if not most, are scammers,
people who feel they are always entitled to 'more' no
matter what they get.

OGRES or anything like it is just an invitation to
scammers, perpetual whiners, and people who are just
unrealistic.

Back to 'what's blooming size'. Well, phals usually
bloom for me at about a 4" leafspan. Is that blooming
size?? I recently traded a plant which had bloomed
twice (cattleya, 9 growths), two years in a row; the
recipient complained that it was 'not yet even
blooming size' despite the presence of two previous
trimmed dried flower spikes!!!

It's an invitation to abuse and extortion. Bad idea
all around.

Don't pooh-pooh by opining 'oh, well, that will be a
rare exception'. Don't fool yourselves. It will be the
norm.

We did not use the site often. We had our faithful vendors and
did not venture into the unknown. But I thought it was useful
and generally truthful.

Opinion is opinion, and must always be taken with a look to the
speaker as well as to the subject. Do I generally agree with
what is being said by this person? Are they normally all hot
air? A grain of salt is always a good assist.

In some ways E-bay has it right. The buyer as well as the seller
collects feedback and the buyer is required to score or comment
on the seller.
SuE

Boy, have I missed you guys! Diana Kulaga Orchids 9 03-02-2005 05:38 PM
Ogres is history Wendy Orchids 12 31-07-2004 01:07 AM
Ogres is history - another alternative Dayton Orchids 0 28-07-2004 10:02 AM
Ogres is history Wendy Orchids 13 24-07-2004 03:02 PM
You guys have to watch new show on ESPN2 ... "Caught Ya!" Maxcapac45 Gardening 1 16-02-2004 09:34 PM