Old 30-08-2005, 02:30 AM
mg

Default HELP - Blooming Maxilaria tenufolia

When I got this plant a couple of years ago it was at the end of being
in bloom, so I know it is possible for it to be happy. Then my wife got
a cat who ate it down to a nub. The plant came back strong in
semi-hydro. Now it has filled the pot, has bulbs growing on top of
bulbs, and has such a strong root system that the flexible plastic
semi-hydro container is now rigid and not quite round - the roots
pushing the walls of the pot from the inside. But still it will not
bloom. I've tried my sunniest southern window with flourescent
supplement and my western window. It seems to thrive in almost any
light conditions but still will not bloom.

Anyone have experience with this who can offer advice?

-mg

Old 30-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Rob

mg wrote:
When I got this plant a couple of years ago it was at the end of being
in bloom, so I know it is possible for it to be happy. Then my wife got
a cat who ate it down to a nub. The plant came back strong in
semi-hydro. Now it has filled the pot, has bulbs growing on top of
bulbs, and has such a strong root system that the flexible plastic
semi-hydro container is now rigid and not quite round - the roots
pushing the walls of the pot from the inside. But still it will not
bloom. I've tried my sunniest southern window with flourescent
supplement and my western window. It seems to thrive in almost any
light conditions but still will not bloom.

Anyone have experience with this who can offer advice?

-mg

Try putting it outside until it gets a bit chilly. Like 10-15 degrees
above freezing, perhaps, for several nights. That should do it...
Scare it to bloom, if nothing else.

I can't remember the trick to blooming this species. I have it, and it
blooms, so I don't need to. *grin* It is also possible that it is
daylength sensitive, but I'd go with the temperature thing first.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 30-08-2005, 04:38 PM
?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:30:47 GMT in mg wrote:

Anyone have experience with this who can offer advice?

No experience, but you might want to read through
http://forum.theorchidsource.com/cgi...c;f=4;t=000320

Do you think you have the rambler or the clumper?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 30-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Edmond Cormier

After five years, I finally bloomed mine by giving it very high light, hot
temp. low water and food.
Ed Cormier

Old 30-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Ray

Mine blooms with the same care as all of my other plants, but I agree with
Ed on the high light.

As to the rambler or clumper question, I divided a plant and put half in a
basket, the other half in S/H. The first is a rambler, the second a
clumper, which makes me thing rambling is looking for water.

rg...

Old 31-08-2005, 01:47 AM
mg

hmmm, I think it's both a rambler and a clumper. In the sense that it
fills the pot all the way round with pseudobulbs, but also produces
pseudobulbs on top of pseudobulbs, climbing up. As to size, the
pseudobulbs are small. In SH it sucks up a lot of water.

I've had it under less light for a few weeks. Maybe I'll try giving it
more and see what happens. Sounds like I want to treat it like Onc.
Sharry Baby.

Thanks for the help,
-mg