Old 01-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Rob

Default Hurricane relief and a plant to boot

After spending most of the last few days not sleeping, I came up with a
no doubt mind addled idea this morning. So, from now until I say
otherwise, 50% of selected plant purchases from my website will go to
Hurricane Katrina relief. Maybe more than 50%. It was going to be
100%, but I'd like to be able to restock if this proves to be a useful
way of raising donations. No limits while supplies last. I am planning
on giving the proceeds to the American Red Cross, and possibly other
organizations if there is enough to go around.

Even if you don't want a plant, please consider donating to an
appropriate charity, even a local organization or food bank. Something
that often gets overlooked in these kinds of situations is that
charities which aren't involved in hurricane relief are going to need
donations. A lot of the money and items they would normally receive will
instead be given for relief efforts. I've already given blood, and you
probably should too, if you can.

Feel free to come up with your own hare-brained scheme for relief
efforts. My thought on this was that people who might not have the
energy or impetus to donate on their own might like an orchid. Perhaps
that will help.

http://www.redcross.org
http://littlefrogfarm.com/shop

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 01-09-2005, 03:57 PM
K Barrett

"Rob" wrote in message
[...]

Good idea Rob! I applaud you!

I read a mystery newgroup and someone there posted this site, too

"and the McCormick/Tribune Foundation will match 50 cents on the dollar if
you donate here..
https://mccormicktribune.org/donatio...?campaignid=67
And the foundation covers all administrative costs. "

And there is always http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

The mind boggles at this disaster. I was going to mail a Home Depot gift
card to my friend who lives in Diamondhead Mississippi, then realized the
mail probably *ain't* going thru. Which reminded me that this is the 1st of
the month, & I'm sure people who get their social security checks by mail
are kicking themselves. And I wondered today what happened to everyone's
pets? (again the mystery group came through and provided a link to the
ASPCA)(yeah, they're an odd bunch there, *S*)

K Barrett

Old 01-09-2005, 05:56 PM
danny

That's a good idea.

I just looked at your site, and the pages are a bit wide for those of us
still using 17" monitors at 1024x768. It took me a while to even find the
plant listings. (I'm using Firefox if that makes any difference).

-danny

Old 01-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Rob

danny wrote:
That's a good idea.

I just looked at your site, and the pages are a bit wide for those of us
still using 17" monitors at 1024x768. It took me a while to even find the
plant listings. (I'm using Firefox if that makes any difference).

-danny

You know, my wife just said the same thing... I haven't found a problem
with firefox or mozilla. But I guess I'll tinker with it.

Last time I tinkered with it I killed the whole site... *grin*

Rob

Old 01-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:02:59 -0400, Rob
wrote:

danny wrote:
That's a good idea.

I just looked at your site, and the pages are a bit wide for those of us
still using 17" monitors at 1024x768. It took me a while to even find the
plant listings. (I'm using Firefox if that makes any difference).

-danny

You know, my wife just said the same thing... I haven't found a problem
with firefox or mozilla. But I guess I'll tinker with it.

Last time I tinkered with it I killed the whole site... *grin*

Rob

At least it displays across the screen not like AOS that looks
like a fist in the middle of my 17" screen. I get the whole
width - but they have my text size cranked down so that my
complaint was going to be the size of your photos. G you can
not win.
SuE

Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Diana Kulaga

This is one of those times when everyone who can help in any way should do
so without a second thought. We've already donated. I think you'll find
numerouslocal efforts all over the country, many with little or no
administrative costs associated with them, too.

Those poor people. I know people who lost everything here last year when we
had our storms. But at least the cities were basically intact, and there
were other people and places to which the victims could turn.

Diana

Old 07-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Dave Fouchey

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 14:52:26 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

This is one of those times when everyone who can help in any way should do
so without a second thought. We've already donated. I think you'll find
numerouslocal efforts all over the country, many with little or no
administrative costs associated with them, too.

Those poor people. I know people who lost everything here last year when we
had our storms. But at least the cities were basically intact, and there
were other people and places to which the victims could turn.

Diana

Diana don't look now but Ophelia is knockin on the door, and I have to
drive to Jacksonville tomorrow...hope she fizzles out.

Dave
Old 07-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Rob

wrote:

This is one of those times when everyone who can help in any way should do
so without a second thought. We've already donated. I think you'll find
numerouslocal efforts all over the country, many with little or no
administrative costs associated with them, too.

Those poor people. I know people who lost everything here last year when we
had our storms. But at least the cities were basically intact, and there
were other people and places to which the victims could turn.

Diana

Diana don't look now but Ophelia is knockin on the door, and I have to
drive to Jacksonville tomorrow...hope she fizzles out.

Dave

And Nate looks like he might make a turn back as well, threatening the
Bahamas now.

I don't know that I've seen so many scary things at once in the Atlantic
basin, and I watch the weather channel a lot. I've heard the record is
five simultaneous tropical depressions/storms/hurricanes. But I don't
want to see it.

Hey people, the hurricane special is still going on... I need people to
buy plants to justify doing this for the next catastrophe. And I have a
feeling there will be another... *sigh*

Old 12-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Diana Kulaga

I had not been back to this thread in a while. By now, Nate is history and
Ophelia (who is the sick individual who named THAT one??) is a tropical
storm near the Carolinas, though that could change again.

'Nuff already....

Diana

Old 12-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Rob

Diana Kulaga wrote:
I had not been back to this thread in a while. By now, Nate is history and
Ophelia (who is the sick individual who named THAT one??) is a tropical
storm near the Carolinas, though that could change again.

'Nuff already....

Diana

Well, if the ocean temperatures continue to go up, you will see Ophelia
again in 6 years when they recycle the hurricane name list. It is on a
6 year rotation, I think. They drop 'significant' storms, so they
aren't going to be using Katrina again, which might save my daughter
some psychological damage someday. I'm just hoping we don't hit
hurricane Omega.