Old 13-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Registered User

Default 25%, 35%, or 50% SHADENET FOR VANDAS?

I would like to know what would be the "best" percentage of shade net or cloth to use for vanda strap-leafed to obtain the most blooming? BTW, I live in the tropics.
Old 13-09-2005, 04:39 PM
K Barrett

That's an interesting question and one I'd like to hear an answer for.
David Grove in his book on vandas & ascoscendas says that the commerical
areas in Chang Mai, Thailand growers use 50% shade cloth, however they may
be deeper in the tropics than you may be. Please look at a globe and see
how Chang Mai's latitude relates to yours. He goes on to state that none of
the plants in the comm'l ghs he visited were growing in over 6000ft-cans of
light. Plus, some were at 2000-2500 and some at 3500-4500. None over 6000.

K Barrett

--
blass

Old 13-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Kenni Judd

If there is no other shade around your growing area (e.g., trees that might
block morning or afternoon sun), then I would go with the 50%. We tried
growing brighter than that, here in South Florida, and ended up having to
add another of layer of shade.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 13-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Ray

Noticing that the original query was posted from a UK server, and suspecting
that that indicates the British Isles (I could be wrong), I would have to
say "none at all."

(And now I'll admit I saw this early today and missed the sender's
server....)

Old 14-09-2005, 12:34 AM
K Barrett

But he said he was in the tropics. Or I thought he said he was in the
tropics..... Lord knows I wish I was in the tropics, cool breezes, clear
water, catamaran, umbrella drink, cabana boy.... Note: in this fantasy I
look like Angelina Jolie. [sigh] OK, back to reality.

K Barrett

Old 14-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Ray

Damn. I told you it was early.

(Of course, I failed to mention the wine before my response...)

Old 14-09-2005, 02:29 AM
World Traveler

"K Barrett" wrote in message
But he said he was in the tropics. Or I thought he said he was in the
tropics..... Lord knows I wish I was in the tropics, cool breezes, clear
water, catamaran, umbrella drink, cabana boy.... Note: in this fantasy I
look like Angelina Jolie. [sigh] OK, back to reality.

K Barrett

Gee, from here you do look a little like Angelina Jolie

- - except for the mustache --

Old 16-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Registered User

Thanks so much for the replies, K Barrett, Kenny, Ray and the World Traveller!!! I live here in the Philippines, home of our native Vanda Sanderiana. I'm a newbie to orchid growing but I have already invested a lot for my orchidarium. You know what I divided the orchidarium wherein one section gets 50% shade, the other 35%, and next to it is 25% shade. Yes, I must be a perfectionist. I woke up this morning to find out one of my vanda strap has finally showed a spike where the location is under the 35%!!!! Yipee!!

The vanda teretes and semi-teretes keep on blooming non-stop for three months now after they were placed in the orchidarium on the south-facing terrace under the scorching 8-hour tropical sun and several occasions of heavy downpour and surivived 2 typhoons. (just to inform you that my teretes and semi-teretes never bloomed when I gave them only morning sun like 7:00 am to 12 noon; they prefer to be hit by midday sun and late afternoon sun too). I just added cattleyas, dendros, and phals in my collection just a few weeks ago.

I'm gonna post photos of my orchidarium next week. It;s such a joy to grow orchids and now I understand the passion that makes one obsessed their exotic beauty.
Old 16-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni Judd

"blass" wrote in message

I would like to know what would be the "best" percentage of shade net or
cloth to use for vanda strap-leafed to obtain the most blooming? BTW, I
live in the tropics.

--
blass
Thanks Kenny!! I am thinking the underlying difference between South Florida and the Philippines would have to be the fact that there is always a cloud cover over our skies most of the time - reason why our vanda straps here can tolerate full sun 9 hours straight. The cattleya people here keep insisting on having our cattleyas placed under full sun, too with no harm done.
Old 19-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Phil Diamond

Some of the species vandas (I live in a sunny, subtropical part of
Australia) seem to need quite shady conditions **here**. Some tropical
climates can be fairly cloudy as well, it should be remembered.

My V. javierae did no good at all until it went under 75% shade, V.
coerulescens and V. whossname (used to be yellow coerulescens, damn my
aging mind) are under about 60%, as is V. coerulea. Everything else
(except V. teres, V. denisoniana and V. luzonica) are under 50%, but the
luzonica seems to be getting too much sun.

Cordially, Phil
--
################################################## #############################
Dr Phil Diamond

Old 21-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Diamond
Some of the species vandas (I live in a sunny, subtropical part of
Australia) seem to need quite shady conditions **here**. Some tropical
climates can be fairly cloudy as well, it should be remembered.

My V. javierae did no good at all until it went under 75% shade, V.
coerulescens and V. whossname (used to be yellow coerulescens, damn my
aging mind) are under about 60%, as is V. coerulea. Everything else
(except V. teres, V. denisoniana and V. luzonica) are under 50%, but the
luzonica seems to be getting too much sun.

Cordially, Phil
--
################################################## #############################
Dr Phil Diamond
Department of Mathematics, University of Queensland, Brisbane,AUSTRALIA 4072.
Tel +61 7 3365 3253 Fax +61 7 3365 1477

You're absolutely correct Phil. The climate here is totally different than that of Australia where clear skies are always almost the order of the day while here in the Philippines. 80% or most of the time there is a cloud cover. In fact we are always told to place the cattleyas in full sun since the cloudy condition wouldn't hurt a bit.

I also observed that Vanda straps are better off blooming wonderfully when exposed from 12:00 noon until 4:00 pm rather than a longer 5 hour morning sun from 7:00 am to 12:00 noon (my vanda straps never bloomed!). The morning sun here in the Philippines lacks the intensity (again the culprit is clouds hovering!) that south-west orientation is the much-preferred location for these beauties.

Are Vandas That Difficult ? susan' scott Orchids 4 08-12-2003 10:03 PM
Vandas in SH was Rhynchostylis care questions mg Orchids 0 08-12-2003 04:13 AM
vandas light level ron doctors Orchids 7 28-10-2003 01:12 AM
one of the Vandas Sekanek Orchids 1 30-05-2003 04:10 PM
Citrus Wood for vandas? Ol' Thornfinger Orchids 1 09-04-2003 09:20 PM