Old 15-12-2005, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

Default Any clue on the name?

dendrobium dalvay x compactum
this is how the seller on ebay is selling it as. The only hit with google is
DEN.DALVAY-CANDY STRIPE x LITTLE DIAMOND-compactum
Cheers Keith

Old 16-12-2005, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

The correct spelling is D. Dalvey (biflace x phalaenopsis), and the cross
with D. compactum is not registered.

I have no idea what all of the other crap is about.

Old 16-12-2005, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Keith, I have a Dendrobium Dalvey 'Candy Stripes". The RHS database has that as
Den bifalce x phapaenopsis. Bifalce is a Latouria from New Guinea, Timor, Cape
York & the Solomons. Phalaenopsis???? Don't know if you have noticed earlier
posts from me on this topic ;-) But from the D. bigibbum family or a near
relative. I'll try to post a pic of Dalvey asap.

I would assume by "compactum" they meand Dendrobium bigibbum var compactum.

Old 16-12-2005, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

wrote:

dendrobium dalvay x compactum
this is how the seller on ebay is selling it as. The only hit with google

is
DEN.DALVAY-CANDY STRIPE x LITTLE DIAMOND-compactum
Cheers Keith

Dave Gillingham

----

Thanks for the info, here is a link to the plant in question

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dendrobium-dal... cmdZViewItem
I was thinking of bidding but I am unsure of the name & so is the seller.So
I suppose is is pot luck!
Cheers Keith

Old 16-12-2005, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

Ray,
Snip ,I have no idea what all of the other crap is about.
What crap,have I missed something?
Thanks Keith

Old 16-12-2005, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Naaaah. It was me.

I read your original post as meaning that the tag said that Dalvey was made
up of the others...

Old 17-12-2005, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:28:41 GMT, "keith ;-\)"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

dendrobium dalvay x compactum
this is how the seller on ebay is selling it as. The only hit with google

is
DEN.DALVAY-CANDY STRIPE x LITTLE DIAMOND-compactum
Cheers Keith

Dave Gillingham

----

Thanks for the info, here is a link to the plant in question

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/dendrobium-dal... cmdZViewItem
I was thinking of bidding but I am unsure of the name & so is the seller.So
I suppose is is pot luck!
Cheers Keith

Keith, that messy growth habit certainly looks influenced by D bigibbum var
compactum. That means it appears to have 1/4 bifalce, 1/4 phalaenopsis, 1/2
bigibbum compactum (ie 3/4 bigibbum or very near relative). As you say, pot
luck but it could be nice.
Dave Gillingham
Old 17-12-2005, 10:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
emntee

DEN.DALVAY-CANDY STRIPE x LITTLE DIAMOND-compactum

I bought a flask of these from the Bangkok Flower Centre some six or
eight years ago. I wish that I hadn't as the name was a pain to write
in the tags.

It is a dwarf growing hardcane, not getting above a foot or so high.
They were all great flowering orchids on small plants and had the bonus
of vegitatively multiplying very quickly. I grew them all on to
flowering size and sold all but one which continues to grow and flower
every year.

My guess is that the Ebay one that you are looking at is the same as I
had.

Tony