Old 02-01-2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
TonyB

Default New spike about to open

Now I see another 'bud" protruding below the first bud on the spike. I
don't know if that is what you call them...bud. The first bud is about
to open and was wondering, it has been on a window sill over container
of water on top of my raditor facing a south exposure all this time. I
keep it on the extreme side where it does not get any sun. Now, i've
read for flowers to last longer they should be in bright light and
cooler temperatures. I don't know if anymore buds will appear than these
2. if i move it, won't it upset the balance that it has now.
Decisions...decisions ...decisions.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

My philosophy is "if the plant liked the conditions well enough to initiate
blooming, why change it?" (They sure don't reposition themselves on the
other side of the tree in nature.)

Besides, if the change is too drastic, you may actually "blast" the buds and
lose them all.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Tony,

IIRC, this is a Phalaenopsis we are talking about, right?

First, Ray has given you good advice, as always. But I'd like to add this:
if the plant is a Phal, *do not* put it in bright light. You will burn it.

Diana

Old 03-01-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
TonyB

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hi, Tony,

IIRC, this is a Phalaenopsis we are talking about, right?

First, Ray has given you good advice, as always. But I'd like to add this:
if the plant is a Phal, *do not* put it in bright light. You will burn it.

Diana

Yes, Diana, it is a Phal...I believe it was the first one I bought last
summer. They call it Moth Orchid. Would that spike grow more buds? or am
I expecting too much? Isn't a south exposure considered a bright
light, even though i do not expose it to the sun?

Tony

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
Paph new spike versus new leaf J Fortuna Orchids 27 23-01-2005 05:50 PM
Paph new spike versus new leaf J Fortuna Orchids 0 15-09-2004 11:41 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
in spike, or just a new psudobulb Susan Murray Orchids 0 29-08-2003 01:02 AM