Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-01-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default Phal. lueddemanniana

I bought this plant in Miami yesterday, for the princely sum of $7.50. It is
in spike, and has a keiki on one spike, which seems to be common for this
species. For you Phal growers, a query. I've googled this, and looked at
pictures taken by Al, but since Phal. species have had an annoying tendency
to become depressed and suicidal in my care, I thought I'd ask for some
advice.

It appears to me that the spikes on this plant need to be left unsupported
to roam on their own. Is that correct? The plant has a very healthy root
system (I checked way down in the pot) and is potted up in straight
spaghnum. One or two sites that I found mentioned growing lueddemanniana in
a basket or mounted. Another mentions plenty of water year round, which is
contrary to growing it mounted.

What's the real deal? And is it a heavy feeder?

Diana