Old 13-02-2003, 09:51 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Hawaii-Oahu/Waikiki

Hi group, this is my first post to this newsgroup. I am hoping to get some
feedback and advice. I collect and grow orchids, and like many of you,
developed a major addiction to these amazing plants. I will be travelling
to Oahu on Monday and was hoping to get some suggestions on where to
purchase orchids at a reasonable price for good quality plants. A friend
who recently travelled there said that there is a small area with a Chinese
market, he said that orchids there are sold pretty much like Pansy's in my
neck of the woods during the early spring! Any suggestions and ideas are
very welcomed!

Mariana
Brooklyn, NYC 6b

p.s. I primarly grow Phals, Paphs, Catts, Epis, Dendrobs, Oncis, bulbys,
and a variety of this and that

Old 14-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Wendy

Mahalo,
Tracey, glad you responded, are you on Waikiki? I thought I had your addy?
Mariana below are the vendors I have dealt with via email.
If you plan on buying a bunch then you can have them ship to you when you
return.
You might want to check on "carry home plants" re legality?
Cheers Wendy
MARTY'S ORCHIDS
E-mail Address(es):

Exotic Orchids of Maui
E-mail Address(es):

Chet Wilkes
E-mail Address(es):

Business Information:
Company: lost-continent orchids
Web Page:
http://www.lost-continent.com/orchmain.html

Old 14-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Tracey

Tracey, glad you responded, are you on Waikiki?

Yeah, we're on Oahu, but we're across the mountains
from Waikiki. About 10 minutes from H&R, in fact.

I thought I had your addy? Mariana below are the vendors
I have dealt with via email. If you plan on buying a bunch
then you can have them ship to you when you return.
You might want to check on "carry home plants" re legality?

Whenever I've talked to people, their comment is that as
long as there is no soil, the plant will pass through
customs. And, since a lot of the plants here are in stone,
they're fine. Even the ones in bark are, apparently, al-
though it would seem to me that bark would have some of
the same problems that soil has. But, what do I know?

Tracey

Old 14-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Bill Landers

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
hlink.net...
In my extensive Hawaiian Export experience (twice) I did not have any
problems. The trick is to bring the plants through the APHIS inspection
without wrapping them. Have tissue paper and newspaper and tape to wrap
them after you get through all the inspections.

With the increased security the inspectors get nervous with closed and
wrapped boxes.

Have a great trip....BTW...I'm available to go along and carry plants!

Good growing,
Gene

Hi Group-
I have made 6 trips to Hawaii, and have used a combination of shipping the
plants and carrying them on the plane. What most vendors will do if you are
carrying them on the plane is to package all the plants in a cardboard box
(uaually the florist type of box), seal the box with shipping tape, and then
stamp their nursery registration stamp all over the tape. At the airport,
your checked luggage gets scanned for plant material before you get to the
ticket counter, your carry-on goes through the regular security screening,
and then before you get to the gate area, your carry-on also goes through an
Agricultural scanner. As long as the tape has not been tampered with, you
should have no problem. You might have a problem if you are carrying on 8
boxes of orchids, hence the need to ship some boxes home (g). Now if I
can only convince my wife of the need to head to Hilo in March for the big
Orchid Show. . . . . .
Bill Landers