Old 16-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Pesimismo

Default Orchids on Oahu Hawaii?

My wife (who is an avid orchid fan) and I plan to visit Honolulu in August.
Are there any nurseries, botanical gardens around Oahu where she might
find interesting orchids?

Old 16-07-2004, 03:02 AM
GrlIntrpted

Oh you're going to absolutely LOVE it! Where are you staying btw?
Find Lanakai beach...trust me, you'll thanks me .
Hanauma Bay is way cool for the most amazing snorkeling (I prefer scuba, but
Oahu 'ain't' no Belize .
Polynesian culture center is great if you have an entire day to spend there.
Senator's Fong's is great but on a very slowish side...
The North shore speaks for itself, we hung out there a lot, but my husband
and I surf and we wanted to take a good wave....the North shore is where you
find them, but we just chickened out...(though my husband says that the
waves weren't high enough for him g).

Here are some of the nurseries where I left a good lump of green stuff for
some orchids that I later on gave away:

H&R NURSERIES INC
41-240 Hihimanu Street Waimanalo, HI 96795
808-259-9626

Kawamoto Orchid Nursery
2630 Waiomao Road
Honolulu, HI 96816

Phone: (808) 732-5808
(Lots of Vandas, and intergeneric stuff. Okay prices, good quality)

WILK ORCHID SPECIALTIES
P. O. BOX 1177
Kaneohe, HI 96744
Phone: (808) 247-6733
Call Chet Wilk, he'll gladly welcome you and walk you through his house
where he grows all his orchids! I met Chet, his wife and daughter and
grandson during our trip to Oahu in March of last year. He has some pretty
amazing bulbo collection and the prices are very inexpensive. He packs
great, and stamps it for customes. Tell him Mariana sent you, the one that
came to visit from NY with the two kids (boys). Very nice people. The trip
up to Wilk is absoutely breathtaking! And if the timing is right, you'll
see the most spectacular water falls from behind Chet's house .

When I returned, I posted an entire write up about my trip, I'm sure that if
you search the archives by keywords, you'll find the post, should be
sometimes around April, May 2003.

Mariana
======
Planning a trip to the Fiji Islands in August. There I'll be floating in a
bungalow for seven nights, and eight days
http://profiles.yahoo.com/gardengrl911
http://www.geocities.com/gardengrl911

Old 17-07-2004, 06:03 PM
William Hill

"Pesimismo" wrote in message ...
My wife (who is an avid orchid fan) and I plan to visit Honolulu in August.
Are there any nurseries, botanical gardens around Oahu where she might
find interesting orchids?

Just down the road from H&R is Hawaiian Floral (H&R will direct you).
Along the main road on that side is another BIG dendrobium grower In
wainae valley is Kodama, Miyamoto, Orchid Center, And in the Royal
Hawaiian Shopping Center there is a kiosk full of orchids. Actually
there are so man7y on Oahu that ----when you get there --- look in the
yellow pages under Orchid Growers. Your best stop will be Kawamoto
orchids--- forget the orchids-- wait till you see view from Leslie's
place !!!! Have fun, Bill