Old 04-03-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Colchisine on Orchids ?

Hi.

I was wondering what anyone knows about performance of polyploid
orchids ?

Anyone every tried a light application of colchicine to induce a ploidy
doubling ? I would imagine this could produce some incredible results
if the plants are able to tolerate it.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

C,

Years ago I used to toss colchicine in some flasks... I have since stopped.
Most of these trick chemicals usually produce nothing more than a big pile
of twisted up crap. If you want super plants then use super parents in the
cross, it is as simple as that.

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

ups.com...

Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I expect 99 twisted piles of shit to 1 super plant.

Im aware of my odds...I just wanted to throw it on a bunch of run of
the mill phals and see what happens

Old 05-03-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

C,

Fire away my friend... but think 999 duds to one super plant.

Mick

====================

ups.com...

Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hey Cut me a Break...

Im a plant sci grad student....Screwin around with orchids seems
inevitable

Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

I had some advanced placement high school kid in my greenhouse the other day
who was telling me about taking orchid pollen and using some chemical,
(orzalin?), to double the chromosome count and injecting it into empty egg
cells to produce plants... He said he could teach me how it was done.... I
said, "yea, when space aliens live among us..."

Old 05-03-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kid doesn't know what he's talking about. Besides what exactly is an
"empty" egg cell....lol....It's gotta contribute some genomic
information to produce a viable gamete.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

more than likely it I is *me* who doesn't know what the kid was talking
about. I was trying to paraphrase what he was telling me and he was talking
over my head. He said he was working with orzalin and lily pollen to double
the haploid chromosome back up to the diploid number and then using a lily
egg cell that had had it's chromosomes removed and injected with the diploid
pollen chromosomes in order to grow the diploid pollen up into a lily plant.
He explained they had to do something to the embryo to trick it into growth
but that he didn't see why it couldn't be done with an orchid if it worked
with a lily. But then he was talking over my poor alien head and should not
be blamed if i failed to get it well enough to communicate it to somebody
else.

I just thought it was fascinating to hear him talking because it revealed
the amazing difference in the way genetics is seen today versus when I was
in high school 25 years ago. Back then, granted not *advanced placement*,
we planted pea seeds and worked hard to remember how to spell Gregor Mendel
should it come up on the test.

oups.com...

Old 05-03-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

"yea, when space aliens live among us..."

Um, Al? Reposition your left antenna.....

Diana

Old 06-03-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It's always gonna be SOMEONE'S (like mine) first week in RGO, muh man.
Sorry. Im too scared to **** with it now outside of my lab at school.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 16:37:10 -0500 in Al wrote:
more than likely it I is *me* who doesn't know what the kid was talking
about. I was trying to paraphrase what he was telling me and he was talking
over my head. He said he was working with orzalin and lily pollen to double
the haploid chromosome back up to the diploid number and then using a lily
egg cell that had had it's chromosomes removed and injected with the diploid
pollen chromosomes in order to grow the diploid pollen up into a lily plant.
He explained they had to do something to the embryo to trick it into growth
but that he didn't see why it couldn't be done with an orchid if it worked
with a lily. But then he was talking over my poor alien head and should not
be blamed if i failed to get it well enough to communicate it to somebody
else.

Hrm, I question the use in normal propagation of orchids, but...
If you are wanting to propagate something that is one half sterile
plant from being extinct tho'....

I just thought it was fascinating to hear him talking because it revealed
the amazing difference in the way genetics is seen today versus when I was
in high school 25 years ago. Back then, granted not *advanced placement*,
we planted pea seeds and worked hard to remember how to spell Gregor Mendel
should it come up on the test.

But was this kid taught that Mendel's numbers were cooked up?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 06-03-2006, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

I think an important use this procedure would be to produce plants which are
known to be 100% homozygous (or as close as possible) for all traits.

rg...

Old 06-03-2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Heck, see if they have a gene gun at school and if they'll let you use it.

K Barrett
wrote in message
ups.com...
It's always gonna be SOMEONE'S (like mine) first week in RGO, muh man.
Sorry. Im too scared to **** with it now outside of my lab at school.

Orchids - Orchids!idx001.jpg (1/1) Internetado[_2_] Orchid Photos 0 06-11-2011 11:22 PM
Orchids - The fabulous world of Orchids report Kelly Orchids 2 31-08-2004 03:02 PM
growing orchids outside = burned orchids? Lil Orchids 5 18-07-2003 04:52 PM
super tough orchids profpam Orchids 3 28-01-2003 01:44 AM
Preserving and drying orchids. Howard Orchids 0 28-01-2003 12:54 AM