Old 21-03-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default non flowering orchid

My orchid (with small yellow flowers when bought new) has not flowered
since which is 2 years ago.

Old 21-03-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
kenty;\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
My orchid (with small yellow flowers when bought new) has not flowered
since which is 2 years ago.

And?

Old 21-03-2006, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Mhari,

When you say 'small yellow flowers', do you mean like this?

http://herba.msu.ru/shipunov/e-album...idium-k111.jpg If so,
that's an Oncidium.

Or like this?
http://orchid.ne.jp/suzuki/images/gi...rap_naname.jpg
If so, that's a yellow Phal.

If it looked different than either one of those, then we need more info
about its looks -- you can go to a library or bookstore and look through a
book on orchids for a picture that looks similar to your orchid, then check
the caption of the photo to find out what kind of orchid it is. You see
there are many different kinds of orchids, and small yellow flowers is not
enough for us to determine what kind. The different kinds of orchids have
different requirements such as different amount of light required for
flowering.

Best,
Joanna

oups.com...

Old 21-03-2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

if it has a tag, just tell us what the tag says...

in very general terms, the #1 reason an orchid would grow for two years but
fail to rebloom is insuffient light levels. The #2 reason would be lack of
fertilizer. BUT without knowing what kind of orchid it is, these could be
exactly the wrong answer.

also, depending on all sorts of unavailable data, if it has been in the same
pot for two years, it is probably way passed time to remove it from the olde
potting media and replace into some fresh stuff.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

Old 22-03-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:00:12 -0500 in Kenni Judd wrote:
I was going to answer, but Al said it all. Kenni

I think ya'll scared the original poster away already.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 22-03-2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Really and no one is flaming anyone about the correct date of a AOS/HCC
or first recorded botanical name etc.

Old 22-03-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Our orchid looked like an onicdum. We had it in the kitchen on an east
facing window sill - in Scotland. I have a sunlounge facing south do
you advise placing it in there? Any other advice?
Thanks
Mhari
p.s. this is the first time I have used a newsgroup - what does AOS/HCC
mean?

Old 22-03-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Mhari,

What is the minimum and maximum temperature that this orchid experiences? Is
there any day-night temperature difference? The reason why I ask is that
temperature is another environmental factor that is important, and could
contribute toward whether or not an orchid reflowers. I am not sure whether
oncidiums really need a temperature difference between night and day, since
I do not grow oncidiums myself, but the following oncidium care instruction
pages suggests so, I think: http://www.orchidweb.com/onccare.htm or
http://www.aos.org/aos/uploadedfiles...ecymbidium.pdf

These culture sheets might hopefully give you some ideas of how you could
improve your oncidium's conditions to be closer to its desired conditions.

Best,
Joanna

"Rob" wrote in message
Our orchid looked like an onicdum. We had it in the kitchen on an east
facing window sill - in Scotland. I have a sunlounge facing south do
you advise placing it in there? Any other advice?
Thanks
Mhari

I think I'd stick with the east window. My only advice is 'when in doubt,
don't' - water, that is... Try not to pamper the plant too much, that
kills more orchids than anything else.

p.s. this is the first time I have used a newsgroup - what does AOS/HCC
mean?

Actually it should be HCC/AOS, and it it is a type of award given by the
American Orchid Society to a plant. Divisions or clones of that plant
carry the award designation. If you see a plant with an award (HCC, AM,
or FCC/AOS), you can be reasonably assured that it has high flower
quality, with the quality improving as you move left to right... Since
you are in the UK, you are more likely to see AM/RHS or FCC/RHS awards,
these are given by the Royal Horticultural Society. Same idea, though.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules:
http://littlefrogfarm.com

Old 22-03-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Sorry, confused Cymbidium and Oncidium culture sheets. Here are corrected
ones:
http://www.orchidweb.com/onccare.htm and
http://www.aos.org/aos/uploadedfiles...edoncidium.pdf
Best,
Joanna

Old 22-03-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Along with rec.gardens.orchids (you can see the fine help posted
already) you can use a Search engine like GOOGLE. Try "Oncidiums 101".
That gave me many sites discussing Onc. care. The information will at
first seem overwhelming, scattered, different strokes from different
folks, but after researching it a bit things will start to fall into
place.
Now for my two cents; Use the south window but place it to get only
the morning sun and bright shade in the afternoon, possibly south side
of a larger plant to filter the afternoon sun. Use expanded clay and
repot in a SemiHydro type arrangement ( Google again). Feed with a weak
solution bi-weekly. Flush with water weekly ( Run 2 quarts of water
thru a one quart pot). The leaves should go to a light green with a
tinge of yellow (dark green indicates too much light). Relax. ;-)) For
me half the fun is the research and groups.
Joe T
Baytown, Texas

Old 24-03-2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Or it could mean a deficeny or toxicity with your fertilizer if your
using one.

It can get very complicated
Ray has a good selection of information about fertilizers
http://firstrays.com/fertilizers.htm

Jack

Old 24-03-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Yikes! Sorry, my only excuse is that I am still living on less sleep than I
would like to have, and thus am more likely to make mistakes -- do as I
think, not as I say :-). My thoughts were clearly "Dark green means too
little light."
Joanna

"kenty" wrote in message

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Snip -dark green indicates too much light

The opposite.
Keith