Old 09-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Paulo

Default Laelia

Hi everyone!
can somebody tell me why I cannot find info about Laelia? Is is part of the
cattleyas family? I bougth one more than a year ago, and now it is
growing...dont know if it is just leave or maybe flowers.....I dont even
know wht to expect from it, because i bought it bare root....

I would appreciate any info about them

Thx
Paulo

Old 10-04-2003, 03:32 AM
tom bell

Don't give up! I bought a L. perrinii bare root in 1993, and with
tender, loving care it bloomed in 1996, again in 1998, and annually since.
I'll post a picture for you on ABPO.
Laelias are related to the Cattleyas, both part of the Laeliinae (sp?)
subtribe, according to Rebecca Northen, whose book would be a great source
of information for you. They thrive in the same conditions; intermediate to
warm, high light, and drying out between waterings.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 10-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Paulo

Thanks a lot....I dont know for sure what kind of laelia i have, i guess i
will have to wait for flowers....As i said before, something is
growing...maybe flowers..overall looks nice and healthy, and with srping
started to grow. I have planted in a ix of bark, and i have put some s.moss
on top...to keep some moisture...I am still wondering if the light is enough
( i just moved and i do not have space at the window anymore.....)

Thanks
Paulo

Old 10-04-2003, 01:32 PM
TU

Laelia flowers grow from the top of the psedobulb. Yep, they grow from
the same place as the leaves. Where is that something growing from? If
it's from near the roots it could be a new growth, if it's from the
top of a mature bulb it could be a flower.

Hope this helps.

T Ung

Old 11-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Paulo

ok....my laelia doesnt have any pseudobulb.....dark green hard and long
narrow leaves growing directly form roots.....now it is having a long
growth....and little bright green "eyes" from one of the superficial
root....My laelia is not a laelia???
Help
Paulo
om...

Old 11-04-2003, 01:56 PM
TU

My guess is that it's a young plant. Sounds like what you see growing
is a new growth. Assuming that it's a young Laelia with no pseudobulb,
it'll take a few years before it flowers. Each new growth should be a
bit bigger and longer than the previous ones, and only big growths
have pseudobulbs.

Cheers

"Paulo" wrote in message ...
ok....my laelia doesnt have any pseudobulb.....dark green hard and long
narrow leaves growing directly form roots.....now it is having a long
growth....and little bright green "eyes" from one of the superficial
root....My laelia is not a laelia???
Help
Paulo
om...

Laelia lobata alba GrlIntrpted Orchids 7 18-08-2003 11:12 PM
Laelia Paulo Orchids 4 10-07-2003 12:40 AM
laelia gouldiana Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 0 13-06-2003 04:20 PM
Laelia info John Mallery Orchids 0 12-04-2003 01:44 PM
Deflasking rupiculous Laelia Dewitt Orchids 7 02-04-2003 02:32 AM