Old 11-08-2003, 09:12 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Laelia lobata alba

I recently got my hands on this seedling. It has 5 growths with either one
or two leaves. And at the present time, two of the growths are yellowing.
It's in a two and half inch pot and is in bark media. As I understand this
particular species does well in baskets, and does not like root disturbance.
The only information that I was able to dig up on this orchid is that it's
from Brazil and produces two to five flowers from March to July. Currently
it is about 5" in height.
I would like to move it into a wooden basket but I'm not sure what to use as
potting media. Can I get some information on how to handle this situation,
and how to pot this orchid into a basket. I have several size baskets, all
wooden, some square some round, some shallow others are deep.
Information greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance,

Mariana
In a very steamy NYC

Old 12-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Ray

Marianna,

Only try basket culture if you can give the plant the watering and feeding
regimen that goes with it.

I find that laelias do well in ceramic medium in a standard plastic pot. It
hold enough moisture - not too much - but provides lots of air flow to the
root system.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 12-08-2003, 01:02 PM
GrlIntrpted

Thanks for the response Ray, much appreciated. I found a website that says
that this particular species wont flower unless in a basket.
Furthermore, after seeing the two growths yellowing I got concerned and
figured that it probably needs replanting into a basket.
I wonder than what the cause of the yellowing. I'm going to get it out from
the little plastic pot that it's in and check the roots. However, the roots
on the surface look thick and healthy. Is the bark media that it is in now
correct or should I replant in some other media? Someone suggested to throw
some rocks(?) in the regular bark mix and someone else suggested that equal
parts of tree fern fiber and medium size bark is correct. I'm so confused,
and so don't want to lose this particular one!

Mariana

"Ray" wrote in message
Marianna,

Only try basket culture if you can give the plant the watering and feeding
regimen that goes with it.

I find that laelias do well in ceramic medium in a standard plastic pot.

It
hold enough moisture - not too much - but provides lots of air flow to the
root system.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 13-08-2003, 07:32 AM
AN

HI MARIANA
LAELIA LOBATA , IS MOSTLY A RUPICOLA LAELIA AND IT HAS CONSTANT HUMIDITY COMING
FROM THE ATLANTIC OCEAN, THE HABITAT-DISTRIBUTION IS VERY SMALL THEY COME FROM
THE AREA OF NITEROI AND RIO DE JANEIRO, MOST OF THE BIG CLIFF IN RIO STILL HAVE
LOBATAS, AS THEY ARE VERY INACCECIBLE .
I TALKED TO FRANCISCO MIRANDA, AND HE SAYS THAT THE ROCK SOMETIMES REACHES 50 +
DEGREES(CELSIUS).
HE TOLD ME IT HAS A BAD REPUTATION AS A HARD TO BLOOM LAELIA,
THIS IS MOSTLY CAUSE BY PEOPLE REPOTING IT WHEN IT REACHES THE SIDE OF THE POT,
IN OTHER WORDS, IT SHOULD BE UNDERPOTED.
YOU COULD USE A BASKET WITH BIG CHUNCKS OF CHARCOAL AND SOME PRIME AGRA AND
DON'T REPOT IT.
JUST GIVE IT ENOUGH HUMIDITY
ONCE IT REACHES THE EDGE AND THE ROOTS ARE DANGLING IN THE AIR IT WILL BLOOM,
I KNOW IT SOUNDS WEIRD BUT IT HAS TO BE STRESS TO BE IN BLOOM
I FOUND A NICE ARTICLE IN FRNACISCO MIRANDA WEBSITE, THERE U CANS EE SOME
PHOTOS OF THE HABITAT
http://mirandaorchids.com/brazilianorchidsVGA.htm

HOPE IT HELPS
AND
PLEASE I DON'T CARE IF PEOPLE CAN'T READ CAP LETTERS, IF U DON'T LIKE IT DON'T
READ IT .

Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
GrlIntrpted

"AN" wrote in message
[...]

An,

You don't know how much I appreciate your assistance. Everyone else, who
posted a response to the list and in private many thanks.
I took the little beauty out of it's potting media and checked the roots
yesterday. Healthy they are for sure. The problem of the yellowing bulbs I
suspect was due to the broken down media. Though the surface had nice
healthy bark chunks, what was inside was broken down so much that it
appeared like soil!
I washed and rubbed the pot with rubbing alcohol and repoted it. Now it's
outside, in the backyard in a full sun spot. I just have to pray hard that
sometimes this summer NYC will see the sun again!

Mariana

Old 15-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Wendy

Hi Mariana, Funniest thing, I was just asking my mentor about the L. lobata
he gave me. He said to hang it in the highest light possible & rest it in
winter.
My plant is more than 5 years old & never bloomed.....so it is going
outside!
Cheers Wendy

Old 18-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Ray

I don't believe for an instant that it won't flower unless in a basket.
None in nature ever needed one!

I suspect that's just another case of someone observing the most obvious
aspect of the culture change without considering what other changes being in
a basket brings, and assuming it's that basket, and that it's gospel.

For example, in a pot on a bench, a plant can be shaded by the plants
overhead, may not get sufficient air movement around it, and stays wet too
long. Move it to a basket and it's got to be hung from overhead, where it's
right in the airflow of the circulators, and the medium dries out faster -
or maybe stays wetter due to overhead misting that never actually reached it
on the bench. Yep, it's the basket....

Now, if it was a plant that sends a spike down through the root ball,
blooming in a pot could be a problem, but other than that, it's just a
matter of understanding exactly what the plant wants.

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Laelia anceps var alba nana John Varigos Orchid Photos 0 04-01-2007 08:59 AM
Laelia pumila 'Luscious' - semi-alba with stunning coloration on lip Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 1 16-11-2006 05:52 AM
Mina Lobata marcfrom United Kingdom 1 01-03-2006 05:57 PM
[IBC] Quercus Lobata ian Bonsai 2 02-04-2004 08:17 AM
Echinocystis lobata Kenneth Moore Plant Science 4 07-11-2003 05:32 PM