Old 05-07-2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default AOS/"Orchids" question

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Just wanted you all to know that I didn't hit and run upthread. I'm reading
all this with great interest.

Diana

me too.

--j_a

Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

Gene,

Ahh, here's where I am different, just a little.

I actively buy orchid books - usually 4-6 a year. The breadth of knowledge
and information found in orchid books is still unmatched, even by the
Internet. I am *constantly* referring to them as I work on my website. Just
this weekend I found an ID on a strange little plant I photographed in
Ecuador 2 years ago from my Native Ecuadorian Orchids series.

Cultural info - totally on the internet. But for checklists/references for
the flora of a region/country or an in-depth look at a particular genus,
books are still The Place To Go.

Additionally, the market for orchid books is expanding - the selection is
getting larger as the years go by. New volumes on Cuba, Mexico, Britain as
well as new treatises on Masdevallias, Coelogynes, and Dendrobiums - and
that's just from the top of my head. And I don't even pay attention to the
explosion of gaudy (to me) coffee-table books about orchids.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 06-07-2006, 08:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Eric, I'm with you.

I probably buy about half a dozen books a year and subscribe to 6 journals
(yes, including Orchids!).

I am much more selective with what I buy these days compared to when I first
started growing orchids when I used to buy every book that found its way to
my local book stores (before the days of the Internet). I have quite a
collection of "orchids for beginners" predominantly from Australian, US and
UK authors but also some now out of print classics. As my knowledge
improved I became more selective in what books interested me. Nowadays, I
can surf the Internet at my leisure comparing prices at Timber Press, Barnes
and Nobel, Amazon, Orchidaceous Books, Kew Bookstore etc, and reading online
reviews/comments.

I still get a great thrill when the latest parcel from Amazon arrives.
There is nothing like sitting down with a beautiful book and digesting its
contents. Must say, I can't resist going into second hand books stores just
in case I find a gem of an orchid book. Have found some lovely old books
doing this.

Long live books!

cheers
~John

Old 06-07-2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John Varigos wrote:

2004 = 24312
2005 = 22574

So in one year the distribution has fallen by 1738 (about 7%) and this is
before the increase in price.

Cheers

John

it will be VERY interesting to see what this year's figures are.

--j_a

Old 06-07-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve

Back when I started hearing about how much more the membership was going
to cost, I thought I would just drop out. Last month, when the bill came
to renew with AOS, I thought I would send it back with a note saying the
cost was higher than I am willing to pay. I put it with my bills to be
paid so I would take care of that.
Then I sat down to pay the bills and I paid that one too. I thought ...
"I've been a member since 1976, I can afford to renew even thought 2
years is over $100, what the heck, one more time". I still have that
little voice telling me I shouldn't have paid.

Steve

danny wrote:

I've heard membership dropped, I don't know how much. That's not something
they would want to publish.
-danny

"unknown" wrote in message

so any of you who still get "orchids" mag from the AOS--has there been
any mention of a change in membership numbers since they jacked up the
dues? i'm one of the ones who said "no thanks" to the nearly 30%
increase, so i haven't been getting the magazine. i was just wondering
if anyone knew what effect the rate increase was having...

TIA...

---j_a, who plans on asking for a membership for xmas, so my siblings
can split the fee.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:57:55 +1000, "John Varigos"
wrote:

Eric, I'm with you.

------- clip -----------------
I still get a great thrill when the latest parcel from Amazon arrives.
There is nothing like sitting down with a beautiful book and digesting its
contents. Must say, I can't resist going into second hand books stores just
in case I find a gem of an orchid book. Have found some lovely old books
doing this.

Long live books!

cheers
~John

For the Amazon buyer. If you can try Buy.Com They are out to equal
Amazon and have a sale on Books (some other things as well) 10% off
Amazon's price. Log in and choose your books. Then decide to wait.
You may get a coupon for an additional discount - Some of the books
are shipped free some are not. So it could be Shipping will change
your cost.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 06-07-2006, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Susan Erickson wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:57:55 +1000, "John Varigos"
wrote:

Eric, I'm with you.

------- clip -----------------
[...]

I always try to buy their used books ( on Amazon). Have not got a bad
one so far out of maybe a dozen. Most have steep discounts.
Joe T

Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default AOS/"Orchids" question-books

Speaking of books, AOS is partnering with Amazon. If you go through the AOS
web site to purchase from Amazon, you still get the good Amazon deals and
AOS gets a little something too.

http://www.aos.org/aos/shop/orchidandgardenbooks.aspx

Just sayin'.

Diana

Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:19:45 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Speaking of books, AOS is partnering with Amazon. If you go through the AOS
web site to purchase from Amazon, you still get the good Amazon deals and
AOS gets a little something too.

http://www.aos.org/aos/shop/orchidandgardenbooks.aspx

Just sayin'.

Diana

I hope this is the start of their cutting down the "store" at the
crystal palace. They need to contain costs and up service.
Their prices were generally higher.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
profpam

I, too, am debating the $60 for one year renewal affordability. Prices
have skyrocked but we do have options in as far as where the money goes.
Nevertheless, I may wait it out a few months before renewing since
other periodicals around here are creating to nothing but clutter. But,
then again, I love the AOS Orchids Magazine.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

They are going to scale down the store. They won't be stocking books unless
they are put out by AOS, AFAIK.

Diana

Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Spare a thought for those of us living in Australia. $USD 60 = $AUD 80!!

Even more reason to question continuing my subscription.
~John

ink.net...

Old 07-07-2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Isn't it $72 for you? Could be worse. I have to decide whether to shell
out 51 pounds for another year of "Sight and Sound" from Britain. I like
their movie reviews, but it's gettin' a bit pricey.
-danny

"John Varigos" wrote in message
m...
Spare a thought for those of us living in Australia. $USD 60 = $AUD 80!!

Even more reason to question continuing my subscription.
~John

Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' AM/AOS x Rdcdm Rose Ganauchau 'Hackneau' HCC/AOS x2 v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 24-04-2008 12:19 PM
C Swan Lake 'Cimmaron Valley' AM/AOS X C Joan Lines 'Jean' AM/AOS V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 10:01 PM
AOS - Orchids John Varigos Orchids 2 25-10-2006 01:16 PM
Question about Cym. Little Balck Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS K Barrett Orchids 5 21-06-2006 04:59 AM
Question about Cym. Little Balck Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS K Barrett Orchids 0 19-06-2006 04:20 PM