Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default Looking for a picture...X posted

Does anyone have a picture of Pot. Amangi 'Orchidglade'? A Google search
turns up Slc. Amangi 'Orchidglade'. It is listed on the RHS site as a
Potinara, and does not come up there as Slc.

If you have a photo of this, would you post it to abpo? If you can't post
there, answer in rgo and I'll get you my pm addie.

Thanks much!

Diana

Old 12-07-2006, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

My guess is that the posted picture you found IS the Potinara, as there is
no such Slc hybrid.

.. .

Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Thanks for responding, Ray. That is my thought as well. But: the reason for
this request (a bit convoluted, but I'll do my best to stick to K.I.S.S.)
begins with a photo I received from a fellow society member yesterday.

She wrote that the plant in the photo had a *******ized tag that read Pat A
Managi 'Orchidglade'. I recognized this immediately because Pot. Amangi
'Orchidglade' is currently in bloom on my patio, and is identical to the
photo she sent. I emailed her the correct tag info.

But today, I heard from her again. She had consulted OrchidWiz, which
described the flower as having brick red petals. Neither her plant nor mine
even remotely resembles that description, and we purchased them in different
places. The "Slc" that came up in Google was for sale on Ebay, and fit the
OrchidWiz description completely.

Now, I understand that weird things happen, but what are the odds of us
having identical plants, bought in different places, mislabeled with the
same incorrect name? Especially since hers was messed up? If anyone has a
photo, I'd be much obliged. Also, I can post a picture of my plant and a
link to the "Slc" over at abpo, if anyone is interested.
Diana

Old 13-07-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Right you are. Photo, anyone?

Diana

Old 14-07-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Diana: Those odds aren't bad at all, for a clone. I'd say far better than
even.

Tthe original plant was most probably cloned at one lab, for one wholesale
grower. [It's remotely possible that the owner of the plant sent divisions
to 2 different labs, for comparison or "insurance" purposes, but IMO highly
doubtful -- too costly unless maybe you're talking about an FCC.] Maybe the
grower did its own lab work; maybe it had an "exclusive," paying for all the
clones so that supposedly no one else would have them (although strays have
been known to turn up from such deals, in places they should not be); or
maybe it paid in trade for the clones -- a percentage of the resulting
plantlets, to be retained and then sold by the flasking outfit. At most,
that makes 2 wholesale outlets for that clone, which in the first generation
is not available elsewhere, so all the retailers would have plants from the
same batch. If the youngsters were tagged en masse, they'd all have the
same mistake on their labels in the first two instances, and even in the
third instance, probably at least half of them would.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Now, I understand that weird things happen, but what are the odds of us
having identical plants, bought in different places, mislabeled with the
same incorrect name? Especially since hers was messed up? If anyone has a
photo, I'd be much obliged. Also, I can post a picture of my plant and a
link to the "Slc" over at abpo, if anyone is interested.
Diana

I've posted a picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens madgardener Gardening 5 15-07-2006 06:51 AM
Looking for a picture! Phalguy Orchids 18 10-01-2005 01:27 PM
Looking for a picture! Phalguy Orchids 0 06-01-2005 10:21 PM
New HCC Picture FINALLY posted at abpo Kenni Judd Orchids 0 13-11-2004 09:24 PM
Looking for picture... Claude Orchids 5 07-10-2004 05:41 PM