Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchids R in season....or not!

All,

Here's a topic for discussion, hopefully. Have any of you seen variables in
the blooming seasons for some of your orchids? I'm not talking about a plant
or two, but many of them.

Since the storms of 2004, it seems to me that lots of our plants have
decided to bloom *out of season*. I can understand that for last year, as
the plants underwent a load of stress the year before. But we didn't have
any significant storm activity in this area last year, and yet the plants
are still off kilter.

An example: C. aurantiaca bloomed profusely in March. Now it has a viable
sheath coming on new growth. Another C. aurantiaca, acquired after the '04
storms, also bloomed in March, is growing nicely, and shows no sign of
blooming again. There are others; that's just one instance. The plants are
healthy.

Could this be because of the hurricane activity 2 years ago, or is something
else at work? Anyone else experiencing this? BTW, I'll take flowers whenever
they wish to grace us with their presence. Just curious.

Diana

Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think you're hallucinating, Diana.

It is doubtful that storm activity two years ago would have an effect now.
My guess is that there is something different in your overall culture that
you haven't ID'd yet.

.. .

Old 05-08-2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hmm. A bit of hallucination might do the trick! The only changes we've made
in our cultural habits is to repot in a more timely manner, and do some more
fertilizing than we used to do, which was needed. Light levels have not
changed, nor has watering. No new chemicals have been introduced. I will say
this: although we have not lost any tree canopy, and our screening is
exactly the same, I am seeing lighter leaves on many plants. [If anything,
our fruit trees are providing more shade than ever.] Temperatures here are
no different than in prior summers, but it seems that somehow the plants are
getting brighter light. I had a Rhy. gigantea go almost white overnight a
few months ago. It had lived in that spot for three years.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the blooming habits of some plants could be
permanently altered by the stress they underwent.

What else would explain out of season blooming? Another example: Angraecum
magdelainae has bloomed three times this year, including in February and
March. It has buds coming now, too, though this is an okay season for it.

Not trying to be difficult here. I am not a scientist as some here are. I am
genuinely curious.

Diana (No, I don't do LSD!!)

Old 06-08-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
All,

Here's a topic for discussion, hopefully. Have any of you seen variables
in the blooming seasons for some of your orchids? I'm not talking about a
plant or two, but many of them.

Since the storms of 2004, it seems to me that lots of our plants have
decided to bloom *out of season*. I can understand that for last year, as
the plants underwent a load of stress the year before. But we didn't have
any significant storm activity in this area last year, and yet the plants
are still off kilter.

Diana

One reason for different amounts of sun could be a change in the amount of
water vapor in the air which you could verify through NOAA. Most southerners
know the difference in summer-sky blue. There's white, bluish white, powder
blue and light blue as opposed to autumn and winter blue, "sky" blue, and
deep blue. Qualitatively humidity is an important part of a southerner's
life but you may not have noticed it quantitatively.
Secondly, you may not have changed anything cultural with your plants, but
what about neighbors including industry? I have no idea what kind of area
you live in and what industry there may be within several miles, but their
emissions may have an impact in amount of light as well as specific chemical
interactions. You might check out neighbors upwind and what they've been
doing.
I have had some plants bloom more than once this year which is a little
unusual. But they're inside, under shade, cooling pads, etc. So I never
thought anything of it.
Gary

Old 06-08-2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
? ? is offline

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 18:33:38 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Hmm. A bit of hallucination might do the trick! The only changes we've made
in our cultural habits is to repot in a more timely manner, and do some more
fertilizing than we used to do, which was needed. Light levels have not
changed, nor has watering. No new chemicals have been introduced. I will say
this: although we have not lost any tree canopy, and our screening is
exactly the same, I am seeing lighter leaves on many plants. [If anything,
our fruit trees are providing more shade than ever.] Temperatures here are
no different than in prior summers, but it seems that somehow the plants are
getting brighter light. I had a Rhy. gigantea go almost white overnight a
few months ago. It had lived in that spot for three years.

Off the wall guess.

Gas prices, existing standards on particulate emissions, and obsolescence
of vehicles not complying with particulate emissions standards has
finally counteracted global dimming.

Then again, my Onc. stinky baby is indoors, blooming its brains out
on two spikes, and putting up a 3rd flower spike.
Then again this is its first blooming.
But the Mtdm next to is is spiking again.
--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."

Old 06-08-2006, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I think you said it yourself, Diana:

"Repot in a more timely manner and do some more fertilizing that [you] used
to..."

Let's see, less stress and more nutrition...Naaahh, that couldn't affect
blooming.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
All,

Here's a topic for discussion, hopefully. Have any of you seen variables in
the blooming seasons for some of your orchids?...

Well, not on any big scale, but my Dend. kingianum has suddenly become
a spring/summer bloomer rather than a late winter/early spring bloomer.
I have no idea why. For years it bloomed as regular as clockwork in
the late winter.

J. Del Col

Old 06-08-2006, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Um, okay! Cool theory, Chris....G

Diana

Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Okay, I'll take that as a good natured and well deserved slap upside the
head, Ray! Also important is that many of my plants are maturing now.

But: how does that translate into orchids that normally (and correctly)
flower only once annually deciding to go for the gold several times a year,
or change the seasons in which they bloom altogether?

Diana

. ..

Old 06-08-2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Gary,

Good thoughts, all. We kind of keep track of humidity with remote Oregon
Scientific units. They are mostly for temperature, but do show humidity.
Everything seems normal for this area.

More interesting is the reference to industry. We are in a residential area
with no factory or other type of heavy industry for many miles. About half
mile away are a few gas stations, but they have been there longer than we
have been growing orchids and they don't seem to be doing anything different
now.

What *is* present is a tremendous amount of construction. Roughly a mile
west of us there is a 'city' being built. Even now, while the house is
closed up and the a/c is on, the dust that we get is horrible. There is also
a subdivision going up in the other direction, but it is far less extensive
and produces less mess. Perhaps three miles away a new WalMart is going in.

So, I suppose there may be more particulate matter in the air, given the
construction equipment. Interesting.

Diana

.. .

Old 06-08-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It was meant more as a poke than a slap, but either one works...

If the plants normally respond to seasonal changes in light level, it's hard
to say, but I have seen southern hemisphere plants get freaked out by the
northern hemisphere and end up blooming more than once a year.

FWIW, I've had plants bloom out of season after a much needed cleaning of
the GH glazing!

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Okay, I'll take that as a good natured and well deserved slap upside the
head, Ray! Also important is that many of my plants are maturing now.

But: how does that translate into orchids that normally (and correctly)
flower only once annually deciding to go for the gold several times a
year, or change the seasons in which they bloom altogether?

Diana

. ..

Old 07-08-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Poke, er, point, well taken! I guess I need to be less of an ingrate and
just take the glorious blooms whenever they decide to come. These wonderful
plants never cease to amaze and delight me.

Diana

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
It was meant more as a poke than a slap, but either one works...

If the plants normally respond to seasonal changes in light level, it's
hard to say, but I have seen southern hemisphere plants get freaked out by
the northern hemisphere and end up blooming more than once a year.

FWIW, I've had plants bloom out of season after a much needed cleaning of
the GH glazing!

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Okay, I'll take that as a good natured and well deserved slap upside the
head, Ray! Also important is that many of my plants are maturing now.

But: how does that translate into orchids that normally (and correctly)
flower only once annually deciding to go for the gold several times a
year, or change the seasons in which they bloom altogether?

Diana

. ..

Old 07-08-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
? ? is offline

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:44:28 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:

What *is* present is a tremendous amount of construction. Roughly a mile
west of us there is a 'city' being built. Even now, while the house is
closed up and the a/c is on, the dust that we get is horrible. There is also
a subdivision going up in the other direction, but it is far less extensive
and produces less mess. Perhaps three miles away a new WalMart is going in.

Hrm, local dimming with rain storms counteracting it for a few days perhaps?

Old 07-08-2006, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

? wrote:
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:44:28 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:

What *is* present is a tremendous amount of construction. Roughly a mile
west of us there is a 'city' being built. Even now, while the house is
closed up and the a/c is on, the dust that we get is horrible. There is also
a subdivision going up in the other direction, but it is far less extensive
and produces less mess. Perhaps three miles away a new WalMart is going in.

Hrm, local dimming with rain storms counteracting it for a few days perhaps?

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."

Hi Diana, You say the storms of two years ago & no problems last
year?????????? Are you forgetting the "back door" hurricane that we got
last year??? I had over 100 M.P.H. winds in Vero & the center was
closer to you than me-- Delray got devastated. I noticed several of my
plants that went to bloom "off season" & in '04 my Onc. maculatums
bloomed twice. But i'm sure they will all get back to "Normal" if we
can manage "NO STORMS" for another 10 years G Bill