Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchids in Chicago

I will be in Chicago next weekend and for a few days after and I would like
to meet up with some local orchid growers to see their collections and
possibly visit a couple of nurseries. My main interest is species. Is
there anyone from Chicago on this group who can help out?

Cheers

John
Melbourne, Australia
To email me remove "usenet." from my email address.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 21:59:02 +1100, "John Varigos"
wrote:

I will be in Chicago next weekend and for a few days after and I would like
to meet up with some local orchid growers to see their collections and
possibly visit a couple of nurseries. My main interest is species. Is
there anyone from Chicago on this group who can help out?

Cheers

John
Melbourne, Australia
To email me remove "usenet." from my email address.

Oak Hill in East Dundee would be your best bet for species. Wish we
were still in Chicago to accommodate you.
http://www.oakhillgardens.com/ Good Luck.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

John Varigos wrote:
Thanks SuE

I'll try to get to Oak Hill.

If you have a car, try to get out to Natt's (in ... Napierville I
think). Good people and nice plants. Of course there is Hausermanns in
Villa Park, it is always interesting. If you like paph species, see
if you can get all the way out to Windsong Orchids and make sure Terry
Partin (The Orchid Trading Co.) is available. He rents out a greenhouse
there, and has pretty much everything that has a pouch.

That is just three of the places I make sure to hit when I'm in Chicago.
And Oak Hill, that is always first on the list.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 07-11-2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks Rob.

Looks like I'll have to rent a car as these places are some distance from
the city where I'll be staying.

Cheers

John

Old 07-11-2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

John Varigos wrote:
Thanks Rob.

Looks like I'll have to rent a car as these places are some distance from
the city where I'll be staying.

Unfortunately all of orchid places are not really accessible without a
car, at least from downtown.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:07:14 -0500, Rob
wrote:

John Varigos wrote:
Thanks Rob.

Looks like I'll have to rent a car as these places are some distance from
the city where I'll be staying.

Unfortunately all of orchid places are not really accessible without a
car, at least from downtown.

Web addresses for each place are on the map.
http://www.chicagolandorchidfestival.com/htm/map.html
This is a very very rough map. It is from a couple of years ago.
But Oak Hill Gardens in East Dundee is 3.
Windsong is 1 - It says in Sycamore (think gas station and corner
store + 3 houses) It is not that bad -- but it is easy to miss as a
town.
Natts in 6 near the bottom. Clear at the opposite end of town. With
faith and a good local map you can go down the Hwy 47 on the west.
You will miss a lot of town traffic.-- Call first -
Hausermann's is in the middle where 4/5 are together. Fox Valley is
in Hausermann's gh.
A local guide would be best. Or a couple days - one north west and
the second due west to Hausermann's - then for Thai and vanda crosses
- Natts.

We used to live just north of the nose of the air plane on this map.

Good Luck, Have fun.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article , Rob wrote:
John Varigos wrote:
Thanks Rob.

Looks like I'll have to rent a car as these places are some distance from
the city where I'll be staying.

Unfortunately all of orchid places are not really accessible without a
car, at least from downtown.

Very true. I speak as a resident of Chicago. I highly recommend that
you use a service like mapquest to make sure that you have a decent set
of directions.

Interesting coincidence: It was Rob who gave me directions and
recommendations for orchids when I moved to Chicago many years ago.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

John Varigos wrote:

Thanks Rob.

Looks like I'll have to rent a car as these places are some distance from
the city where I'll be staying.

Unfortunately all of orchid places are not really accessible without a
car, at least from downtown.

Web addresses for each place are on the map.
http://www.chicagolandorchidfestival.com/htm/map.html
This is a very very rough map.

Oh, yeah. Please believe the "NOT TO SCALE" part. And the rt20/47 thing
in the upper left is not accurately shown on the map - it's tricky - get
a real map. Also note from the bottom left, there is no entrance going
east from 47 to 88. We made that mistake one year. We did go to Natt's
the back way this year (47 to 30, etc.) but it's screwed up as well -
they decided to drop a large school complex on one of the roads and it's
not on the map. If you use a little common sense, it does actually go
through to where you're heading. I think it saved a little time, but it
did avoid a HUGE amount of traffic!
Old 08-11-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Very true. I speak as a resident of Chicago. I highly recommend that
you use a service like mapquest to make sure that you have a decent set
of directions.

Interesting coincidence: It was Rob who gave me directions and
recommendations for orchids when I moved to Chicago many years ago.

Heh... I used to do the 'tour' every other week or so, so I knew it
pretty well. It was expensive to live in Chicago, for orchid related
reasons if no other.

Of course a year or two ago when I went to Oak Hill (after an absence of
three or four years), I couldn't find the place due to all of the
development that has gone on. Weird.

Rob

Old 19-11-2006, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks all for your contributions - unfortunately my work commitments did
not allow me to travel to the suggested places as they were several hours
drive out of Chicago and renting a car for a such a short time did not seem
economic.

Cheers
John