Old 11-02-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default New atitide at the AOS?

MD 6b??

"unknown" wrote in message
yeah, i skimmed the letter and it seemed a bit placatory if nothing
else. i filled out the survey and told them i was a recidivist--quit
when the dues went up to 60, and am only a member again because someone
else (three someone else's, actually) is paying for my membership.

oh, my issue of the mag hit MD 6b a few days ago.

--j_a

Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 11, 5:28 pm, "Bob Walsh"
Maryland Zone 6B ?

Bob"K Barrett" wrote in message

MD 6b??

yeppers. DC metro area actually.

(although i read somewhere that Ag is thinking of bumping the zones up
a notch because of global warming; i may be MD 7 soon.)

--j_a

Old 12-02-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:24:49 -0800 in K Barrett wrote:

Relevance is different for different people. Of course you know that. (I
don't know why I said it.) When asked point blank what would be relevant
for me, I always drop back to good scientific articles. Written on a
college level (not a grad school level - I'm not that smart, but I can
google if I need to) A good article on orchid scents might be good. An
article on whether light intensity or duration is more important in getting
orchids to bloom. I think windowsill growers would like to know that,
since their access to light is limited. On OrchidSafari tonight we're going
to be given a talk about the first meeting of teh Chinese Cymbidium society
in Beijing. Probably just some local color and some pics. 4-5 notable
speakers were present to talk on conservation themes. Why couldn't these
talks be reprinted in teh AOS mag? Same with the meeting in S Africa later
this year? Or the one coming up in Costa Rica?

I wouldn't be opposed to scientific (academic) articles appearing in
a non-academic magazine. However, I can't see AOS seeking to fund
something as straight forward as a light duration vs. intensity study.
I can see it as a valid research project for botany or horticulture
post-grads or faculty, but their goal would be to publish in an academic
periodical.

(Not that I'd be opposed to such a study myself).
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 20-02-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Unless they read this board, how are the former members to know about the
survey? I didn't get any notice about in either e- or snail mail, and I'm a
very recent quit, not ten years out. Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
And one of the next questions asks if you quit the AOS and why.

Tennis, go fill out the survey. Please! (there, I said the magic word!)

K Barrett

"danny" wrote in message
Anyone can fill out the online survey. The first question asks whether
you're currently an AOS member.
-danny

"tennis maynard" wrote in message
I would like to hope for the best; history has taught me to temper that.
But it seems that most of the search for input involves current members.
Wouldn't it perhaps be more helpful to poll FORMER members? Those who've
quit in the last, say, ten years?

Old 21-02-2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And would they even know you quit? Like, if they ran a database search
could they find your address and send you a survey? Of course they'd have
to think in those directions... I know when I've been slow and wondered
where my business has gone I think about finding lost people and sending a
letter about returning, but its just too painful to ask. (I can't stand
that kind of rejection.)

I suppose they'd depend on folks to go to the web page and look at the link
on the front page.

Old 21-02-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K: AOS definitely knows I quit because they keep sending me stuff trying to
change my mind, and THAT stuff does arrive in my mailbox. I think, if they
can find me to ask for money, they can find me to ask for my answers on
their survey. Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
And would they even know you quit? Like, if they ran a database search
could they find your address and send you a survey? Of course they'd have
to think in those directions... I know when I've been slow and wondered
where my business has gone I think about finding lost people and sending a
letter about returning, but its just too painful to ask. (I can't stand
that kind of rejection.)

I suppose they'd depend on folks to go to the web page and look at the
link on the front page.

Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' AM/AOS x Rdcdm Rose Ganauchau 'Hackneau' HCC/AOS x2 v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 24-04-2008 12:19 PM
C Swan Lake 'Cimmaron Valley' AM/AOS X C Joan Lines 'Jean' AM/AOS V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 10:01 PM
AOS forum tennis Orchids 26 10-07-2003 11:44 PM
AOS meeting Dave Lockwood Orchids 1 30-03-2003 03:56 PM
AOS webpage/Forum down? K Barrett Orchids 3 08-02-2003 01:49 PM