Old 16-05-2007, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Paph kolopakingii var alba?

On May 15, 9:11 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
Al has thusly spoke: "Handled correctly, that sale might pay for a few
semesters of college."

...which, of course, I could REALLY use.

I suspect, however, that if such an ephemeral creature ever appears, I
probably won't think much of its worth and will get rid of it in a manner
that will make it the recipient's good fortune, not mine.

Well I did spoke thusly and I am going to spoke thusly again ;-)

I had to think of its worth. I have no other means of support. I
think of the worth of all of the plants I sell. I think the people
who pay for those are getting good fortune for the price too. And I
think the people who chose to keep their money in their pocket know
where their fortune lies or lays, whatever...

I also think of the expenses of keeping them around. I like growing
orchids. Selling them is a necessity. They don't have to be rare.
In fact considering how this alba made me feel just having it around I
probably would rather just grow and sell the other kind.

There are people who think I should have held out for 4 or 5 times
what I sold it for and I can not even imagine that. There may even be
people who would pay that much, some of them didn't get to me fast
enough, apparenly. I feel I got fair value and good fortune for my
plant and I think those who bought it feel the same way. I think
those who would pay 4 to 5 times more will also pay for the names of
the people I sold it to, if they can't figure it out.

But do remember i have that list now, and there is no reason you
shouldn't think of its worth that I can think of if you find such a
plant in a wholesale coffin from hawaii. It sure can't happen often.
I wouldn't sell it to you. I will give it to you freely.

speak amongsth thyselves. I may spoke thusly again later.

Old 16-05-2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

only just now read this thread--congrats!

albas don't do it for me either; but then, i'm not into paphs.

--j_a

Old 16-05-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al, lest you mistake my intention. My 'Ditto" was in thinking that if ever
such a wonderful plant ever came into my hands I wouldn't understand its
significance. I'd think something stupid like 'oh! what happened to the
color?' and put it on the next raffle table, only to find I'd let a truly
wonderful and potentially lucrative possibility slip (once again) through my
fingers.

K Barrett

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 16-05-2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 16, 11:29 am, "K Barrett" wrote:
Al, lest you mistake my intention. My 'Ditto" was in thinking that if ever
such a wonderful plant ever came into my hands I wouldn't understand its
significance. I'd think something stupid like 'oh! what happened to the
color?' and put it on the next raffle table, only to find I'd let a truly
wonderful and potentially lucrative possibility slip (once again) through my
fingers.

K Barrett

wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 15, 9:11 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
[...]

speak amongsth thyselves. I may spoke thusly again later.- Hide quoted text -

I was/am playing. I thought Ray was/am playing too. I did understand
your ditto...something about not knowing the iron was hot yet and
failing to strike...

....FWIW, Al is being way over-stimulated by the events of the week and
may have gotten his anteenaa all tangled up in the low hanging
branches of this thread and look all silly in the process as he flails
around. Try not to laugh or get angry if he smacks around while
trying to free himself.

Old 17-05-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
ups.com...
There are people who think I should have held out for 4 or 5 times
what I sold it for and I can not even imagine that. There may even be
people who would pay that much, some of them didn't get to me fast
enough, apparenly. I feel I got fair value and good fortune for my
plant and I think those who bought it feel the same way. I think
those who would pay 4 to 5 times more will also pay for the names of
the people I sold it to, if they can't figure it out.

Everything we sell was priced too cheap, unless of course it did not sell
and then it was priced too high.

Congrats.

Pat

Old 17-05-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I believe the preference is simply one of those "different strokes" things.

I also believe that none of us here would give a rodent's patoot if you HAD
held out for the many-multiplier payment level; I only know I would not have
been in the mix. I probably would have bee jealous, though (of your
situation, not the buyer's).

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 17-05-2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

At least one person would have cared if I had held out a bit
longer...if you count me then two. ...but its done.

People always ask me to point out the most valuable or expensive plant
in my greenhouse. It was intersting to watch the customers walk
though over the weekend. Nobody really noiced it sitting there. A
few real collectors (people who come in often and have a varity of
different plants numbering above 50) or so, didn't even seem that
interested. One of the guys kind of wondered away while I was telling
him what I thought it was and how unusual it was; he left happy with a
budded division of Bulbophyllum trigonosepalum 'Doggy Doo' CHM/AOS
which I promised him smelled like dog crap. (I couldn't find this CHM
in wildcat)

Old 19-05-2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Somewhere I remember some guy saying his plants were like lotto
tickets......most of the time he has a pocket full of slips of paper.

Me thinks the guy finally hit the lotto!

Congratulations.....

BTW....I'd rather be lucky than good.

Paph. Deperle var. alba - 2 attachments Jason[_2_] Orchid Photos 3 07-07-2007 09:34 PM
Paph bellatulum x kolopakingii Gene Schurg Orchid Photos 1 23-11-2006 02:25 PM
Paph kolopakingii x Paph praestans Gene Schurg Orchids 4 12-05-2005 02:24 PM
paph kolopakingii? Dada Orchids 5 04-09-2004 06:21 AM
paph kolopakingii? Dada Orchids 0 27-08-2004 06:05 PM