Old 27-01-2008, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default which addiction is harder to get over: orchids or caffeine?

Kathy's comment in the WOC thread "If anyone who thinks growing orchids
*isn't* an addiction hasn't answered the Call of the Vendors." made me think
of my efforts to battle addictions.

I bought only one new orchid in 2007, which is huge progress considering
that there used to be a time when I would _need_ to buy orchids every month,
and I couldn't ever buy just one at a time (had to be two or three or four).
Alas, when visiting a relative the other weekend I started to persuade her
that next time we visit I will buy her an orchid, she seemed reluctant, not
wanting the additional burden of having to take care of it, but I tried to
press the case that an orchid wouldn't be any burden at all (one orchid
isn't, but whoever stops at one? I did not tell her that.). And just this
evening I was just thinking that if the miltaniopsis reflowers again this
year, I will have to buy more of those, and how I have been neglecting to
visit Al's Orchid Greenhouse, and after all that is not very polite to Al
who does not deserve that. So I fear I may be heading for a relapse. :-(

I have just begun trying to get myself off of caffeine. So far, not very
successfully. I don't think I will be able to go a year with only one coffee
(shudder), so far I seem to be having trouble with one coffee per day. I
poured myself a second mug as soon as I got into the office yesterday on
autopilot, and as soon as the mug was full, I noticed, but by then it was
too late, couldn't waste a perfectly good mug of coffee by pouring it out
after all, could I? And then today, the major tantrum/meltdown of my
two-year old at the shopping mall made me drink a second cup later in the
day (just had to). When we got home the watering of orchids soothed my
nerves, and it did not seem like a burden after all, and surely another one
or two wouldn't make any noticeable difference in the watering burden,
right?

So I guess orchid addiction is easier to hold in check than caffeine
addiction, or maybe not? Is orchid addiction just a form of shopoholism? Or
maybe orchids give out some undetectable but irresistible addictive
substance that sinks in through our pores, and reprograms our DNA to whisper
"Buy more orchids. Buy more orchids. Buy more orchids."

Joanna

Old 27-01-2008, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, put it this way Joanna: Caffeine addiction doesn't need two support
newsgroups for fellow sufferers to commune with each other. And sharing the
burden certainly makes coping with the addiction more pleasureable.

Furthermore, it also brings the lost members back into the fold, and surely that
can't be a bad thing! In other words, it's good to hear from you again.
Two-year-old meltdown? Been there, done that. Better you than me. But you
need a calmative, & with another cup of coffee you just sit there & stew about
all that went wrong during the day. Watering your orchids is far more
therapeutic. Enjoy them.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 05:37:48 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

[...]

Dave Gillingham
Old 27-01-2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It may not be an addiction, the plants could be using you! I saw a PBS
episode titled "The Seedy Side of Plants" and it talked about plants
manipulating animal life. To quote "They're cunning and manipulative, and
will do anything to get what they want."

So they have their unique growing habits and beautiful flowers just so we
will become attracted to them and take them home, feed them and help them
reproduce. Not bad for a plant.

Mark

Old 27-01-2008, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Helloooooooooooo Joanna,
Gosh it's been a long time, is it really 2 years? Your baby is two years
old already?
You know, I was going to start a thread, on "Where Are They now?"
You would have been up there on the list.
Do you remember a discussion on reasons to buy another orchid & I said
to buy
a blooming one close to the day your baby was born then it would be a
reminder each year.
Don't worry about the relapses, if you think the terrible two's are
bad, there are things called teenagers!
That will be the time you really enjoy your plants! *g*
Nice to hear from you so keep in touch.
Cheers Wendy (Who is addicted to both orchids & coffee)

Old 27-01-2008, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The big difference between two year old boys and teenage boys is that the
grimy hand prints are found higher on the walls..........

Why would anyone want to ditch orchid addiction? Just remember Rob's Rules!

Diana

Old 27-01-2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy,

Oh, I didn't say the terrible two's are bad. Yesterday was bad. Overall
though Robert is mostly a very good little boy. Unfortunately the reminder
part of the blooming orchid around birthday only works if the orchid
reblooms when it is supposed to. This year I have fewer orchids reblooming,
and I know why: I took down my grow lights because I was concerned about the
electrical cords when Robert entered the stage when dangling cords were an
accident waiting to happen. I suppose I should probably put the lights back
on since Robert is now a bit older and for the most part obeys the word "no"
when repeated enough times, so he could be taught to stay away from them. I
grow my orchids in two areas of the house: about 1/3 of them are in a
shade-free but northern window, and the remaining two-thirds are in an
eastern patio door that is heavily shaded. This year, the northern
shade-free window orchids are bustling with activity this time of year, as
they should. The shaded eastern window orchids are for the most part
refusing to spike though, with a few exceptions, one of which is quite a
neat exception: my paph malipoense is in tall spike and going strong there.

As I mentioned the last time when I briefly re-emerged to rgo, don't be
surprised if I fall off the rgo radar again. Too much going on. But it is
good to see many familiar names still posting here.

Best,
Joanna

Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hmm, unfortunately or fortunately I do seem to be into orchids again. Today
I put up the grow lights again, so that hopefully I will have more spikes in
the fall--the meager results of this season gave me the incentive to do
better again. I am still able to resist the pull to buy a new orchid for
now, but I fear not for much longer.

Joanna

Old 04-02-2008, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
So I guess orchid addiction is easier to hold in check than caffeine
addiction, or maybe not? Is orchid addiction just a form of shopoholism?
Or maybe orchids give out some undetectable but irresistible addictive
substance that sinks in through our pores, and reprograms our DNA to
whisper "Buy more orchids. Buy more orchids. Buy more orchids."

Why give up coffee? I told my husband to stick a thermos bottle of fresh
brew in my coffin when I die. I gave up smoking but will never give up my
coffee. :^)

Old 07-02-2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Manelli Family" wrote in news:fo85t3$mib$1
@aioe.org:

addiction

I gave up smoking after 30 years but I'm still stuck with my orchid
addiction. Like a black hole it sucks me to every orchid sale and sucker
punches me at the 50% off table.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Dusty" wrote in message
. 17.102...
"Manelli Family" wrote in news:fo85t3$mib$1
@aioe.org:

addiction

I gave up smoking after 30 years but I'm still stuck with my orchid
addiction. Like a black hole it sucks me to every orchid sale and sucker
punches me at the 50% off table.

I have the same addiction where orchids, cacti and succulents are concerned.
I just picked up another two Phal NOIDS at Kroger this morning at $2.50
each. They're the $26.00 size. :^) I was thrilled out of my mind.

Old 13-02-2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

speaking of which, while researching a newbie grower lecture i've
somehow been swindled into agreeing to give, came across this:

'You can get off alcohol and drugs, but you never get off orchids ...'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../norchid22.xml

Old 13-02-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"The more research I did," says Hansen, "the more I came to see them less as
criminals than as pragmatic conservationists. You learn a lot in the orchid
world."

Truer words were never spoken - or quoted...

Someone should write a murder mystery or spy novel/thriller about the orchid
world. But no one would believe it.

K Barrett

Old 13-02-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default books (was: which addiction is harder to get over...)

On Feb 13, 4:25*pm, "K Barrett" wrote:

Someone should write a murder mystery or spy novel/thriller about the orchid
world. *But no one would believe it.

so has anyone read any of michelle wan's books?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...Michelle%20Wan

--j_a