Old 20-09-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default What is this thing called love?

Hi, My name's K Barrett and I'm an orchid addict. I should just give up
trying to control myself. I'm like Kevin Costner in the movie 'Mr Brooks'.
I have John Hurt in my head saying "Aw, go on. What's the harm? Just look at
the web page, one little, teensie, tiny look. No one says you have to
actually *buy* anything... Besides you deserve it."

I tell myself 'No! This isn't right. The credit card can't stand much more
of this.'

But I now have many, many little 2" pots winging my way. That's OK though
because I bought many, many large 6" pots at a recent GH sale. And many,
many large 10" clay pots of Nonamis (NONAMIS I TELL YOU!!!) at the society
auction

What am I thinking?! I ran out of bench space earlier in the year. I have
4-5 compots that'll need potting and I have 10 flasks of a speculative cross
I made coming too.

So if this is "Control" it ain't working.

[sigh]

[cue Pointer Sisters: 'Fire' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDKNnJUP2FI ]

Old 20-09-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

ROFLMAO!

But what do you do when it's your *husband* telling you, "You deserve
it....."? Hmm? Or when *he's* the one looking at an orchid and reaching out
that big paw toward it? He's clever, too - he points to what he likes and
then says, "Do you want it?". If I say no he won't get it, but he'll be
silently disappointed.

And the next day he'll be talking about how we don't have room for more!

Speaking of which, we need to rearrange the lanai. There are big plants
hanging and small plants on benches. Needs a reversal out there. Then I'll
have more space.............OMG!

Diana

news

Old 20-09-2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:53:29 -0700, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

[...]

You wanna start a 12 step group?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 20-09-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You wanna start a 12 step group?

That was tried in numerous areas. They morphed into orchid societies........

Diana ;o)

Old 20-09-2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jees, Kathy, I just remembered the NONAMIS that you bought. When did you
start doing St. Rays? I mean, we all have 'em, but deliberately? I'd have to
throw you out of my beginners class!!

Diana

. ..

Old 21-09-2008, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Buying nonamis is how you know I'm in CRISIS!!! *CRISIS* I tell you!!!
I've started plans for a GH addition.. Joe says make it 2 storeys tall.....
[pant pant] Bench space...is there *really* a limit to bench space?
Doesn't string theory apply to bench space?? C'mon!!!!! There are eleven
dimensions after all. So where's my freaking bench space!!!!!!!!!

K[pant]B

Old 21-09-2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
You wanna start a 12 step group?

That was tried in numerous areas. They morphed into orchid
societies........

Diana ;o)

And there are several in our area.... wanna be my enabler? oops I mean my
*sponsor* yeah..that's the ticket...my *sponsor*! heh

Old 22-09-2008, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy, you certainly haven't run out of bench space, even in our measely 4
dimensions, until you've grown upward. Think of hanging your plants as a
second or third tier of benches and you've tripled your space without
building an addition! And you get to grow shade lovers without adding
shadecloth. You might have to add an extra fan for air movement but what's
that compared to all that bench space? Humidity is easier to keep up with
all those extra benches. Just think of all those Stanhopeas, Gongoras, etc
you can grow at eye level. You'll be surprised at all those little nooks and
crannys you can find in that upward dimension. Even if you use it as a
temporary relief until you can make an addition to your flat, 2n dimension.
Gary

Old 22-09-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ah! The 3rd dimension (up) has long been overutilized, I'm afraid. There's
a tunnel 5'6" tall that burrows into the GH. Anyone taller has to crouch.

Luckily the DVOS show will be here soon and I'll sell off some divisions and
duplicates, making room for teh 2" pots.....maybe....
(Incoming! Duck and Cover!)

. ..