Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orthenex

Thanks Diana will give it a try
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Hi, Wendy,

Yes, turf, tree and ornamentals. It is systemic, but seems to have some
residual topical effects too. It's water soluble.

I did a little checking. Apparently, last year the Orthene product line
was sold by Valent to American Vanguard. Both are based in CA. Here's a
link to the label info:

http://www.american-vanguard.com/med...n_06-24-08.pdf

I swear by it. You can find plenty of outlets for it with a quick Google
search. Many of the supply vendors in this area carry it.

Diana

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Is that the Orthene for shrubs & trees? What do I look for? Is it a
systemic in
powder form?
Cheers Wendy

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Chris,

FWIW, I used to use Orthenex. It worked, but not nearly as well as
Orthene. With the former, I'd find that the time of control before
return of critters was a couple of months. So I was treating fairly
often. With Orthene I spray probably twice a year (a double spray each
time) and all is well. For isolated stuff I can always use a canned
spray or alcohol. You might need to order the Orthene if you don't have
a supply vendor nearby, but IMO it's worth it.

Now, if someone could tell me what to do about my gardenias, which are
thrip magnets, then I'd be home free altogether. I've used the same
treatments on them and have also tried the Bayer product. The bugs just
keep coming. If it weren't for a sentimental attachment they'd be ripped
out by now. And they may yet get trashed.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 12:55 pm, (Chris Savas) wrote:
Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. I
have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. I have
looked in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100 plants)?
I have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. I have used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove not from the address to respond directly.)

.

There is a Bayer product with imiploprid as well as a systemic

K Barrett

Old 09-04-2009, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Acephate 4.00% Acephate
8.00% --- insect (Orthene)
Triforine
- - --- disease (fungus)
Fenbutatin-oxide 0.75 Fenbutatin-oxide
--- mites
(Hexakis) (Hexakis)
Other Ingredients 92.00 Other Ingredients
--- filler

Be careful with acephate while spikes are forming. In the plant, the
systemic tends to concentrate where the plant is actively growing and can
cause flower color breaks. I will use acephate this time of year, but I do
not use it on the phals between Sept and March. I would not become too wed
to acephate, there is a general move away from the organophosphates. I do
not think that any of the acephate products are labeled for greenhouse use
any more. The current buzz is for Safari (dinotefuran), another
neonicotinoid like the neonicotinoid imidacloprid found in Merit, Marathon,
and Bayer tree and shrub. People are reporting much better success with
Safari than with the imidacloprid based products. But at $350 per 3 pound
jug I have no first hand knowledge.

Pat

Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
. com...

Acephate --- insect (Orthene)
Triforine --- disease (fungus)
Fenbutatin-oxide --- mites
Other Ingredie --- filler

That should be easier to read.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks for this info Pat, Yes I had flowers with streaks which was caused by
systemic pesticide named Cygon. It is no longer available in CA.
My gosh that Safari is expensive even if you split it 3 ways!!!!
Now I often wonder about fumigation & if anybody fumigates their
greenhouses?
Cheers Wendy

Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy, there just are not that many fumigants left on the market. From what
is available to me here in Va there are two options. The first is a series
of products from the Whitmire Corp which are total release aerosols. Pop a
can and run and while you are eating dinner the whole greenhouse gets
treated. The flavors available a year or two ago where dursban
(restricted), decathion, acephate, pyrethrum, an IGR, and Taistar. The
label allows air mixing, i.e. pop two different cans and run. Although
there could not be an easier way to treat a greenhouse, I found that I
always got a better kill if I just strapped on the backpack and sprayed the
same chemical. Maybe my greenhouse are just too crowded causing incorrect
dose or coverage. Don't know and I only use the Whitmire products when I
find a problem and know it will be a while before I get a chance to spray.

The other option is smoke. Light the can and run. I think all of the smoke
products are restricted use and the last time I looked only came in two
flavors; DDVP (organophosphate) and nicotine. I have found these products
to be very effective against whitefly, aphids, and thrips. But I have not
had much luck with these products against scale, mealybugs, and fungus
gnats. I do not think smoke is an option in Ca.

Pat

Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well I guess both options of fumigation are out as I can't run!!! *G*
(Arthritis)
Oh & that CA thing!
My plants have scale & mealy bugs & I have used everything from the
409/oil recipes
WP & the $$$$ Enstar & Mavrik to no avail.
The most effective item lately has been a product that has 1%
Pyritherins (Safer brand)
So I need to look for it in a concentrated form as it is around $5 for the
normal spray bottle.
Anyway thanks for the info,
Cheers Wendy
g.com...

Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy7 wrote:
Well I guess both options of fumigation are out as I can't run!!! *G*
(Arthritis)
Oh & that CA thing!
My plants have scale & mealy bugs & I have used everything from the
409/oil recipes
WP & the $$$$ Enstar & Mavrik to no avail.
The most effective item lately has been a product that has 1%
Pyritherins (Safer brand)
So I need to look for it in a concentrated form as it is around $5 for
the normal spray bottle.
Anyway thanks for the info,
Cheers Wendy

Wendy-

I had an ongoing problem with scale on the bromeliads. I fought it with
everything for two years. Last spring at repotting time, I filled a
50-gallon plastic 'sweater storage' tub I usually use for fertilizer
with a strong malathion solution and took each upotted plant and with
the use of my 'grabbies' (long tube with pincers on end usually used for
picking up trash on the lawn or retrieving hard-to-reach plants by the
pot), completely submerged (roots and all) and swirled them around in
that, one by one. No scale a year later. None. Zip. Nada.

I know one is usually hesitant to share solutions between orchids, but
if you just have a few or even a couple dozen plants which seem to be
the problem, this could be done in, say, a one- or two- gallon jug of
some sort, emptying and washing it out between plants and still only use
the same fifty gallons. I know it would be laborious, but it works!

Tennis

Old 10-04-2009, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Wendy, where did you buy the Enstar?

Diana

It's not easy to buy Enstar at a local shop. I can only find them from
online stores.

http://rosecare1.stores.yahoo.net/enstarii.html

http://www.orchidmix.com/cat3.htm

http://www.growerssolution.com/page/...Insect/70-1525

http://www.growersupply.com/enstarii.html

Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If you are unable to get rid of the bus, it suggests one or more of the
following is not happening:

? The chemicals must be used at their label mixing ratios

? The entire surface of every plant - and possibly the medium too - must be
covered

? The process needs to be repeated at weekly intervals - one repetition is
usually recommended on labels, but I find 3 treatments to be better.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Wendy7" wrote in message
[...]

There used to be those insect bombs that contained pyrethrins, but you don't
grow in an enclosed space (patio etc) so these wouldn't necessarily help
you.