Old 21-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Diane Mancino

Default keikis on keikis on keikis

I won another old orchid this month. A Den kingianum Ruth, very bushy, out
of bloom but kiekies everywhere some on other kiekies with roots on them.
Should those Kiekies stay on, or should I remove.

--
Diane

Old 21-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:10:18 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

I won another old orchid this month. A Den kingianum Ruth, very bushy, out
of bloom but kiekies everywhere some on other kiekies with roots on them.
Should those Kiekies stay on, or should I remove.

Kingianum will do this if over fertilized and under bloomed. I
would remover the kiekies that are plantable. First because the
plant will look better if it is "groomed." I also think leaving
them encourages the plant to kiekie again. They can be very
pretty plants in bloom. Good luck.

SuE
Old 21-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Diane Mancino

Thanks, Some thought it was a mistakenly put on the raffle table, can't wait
to see it. Would you put more than one keiki to a pot? I think I'll do 4 to
a pot- I have a lot!

Old 21-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Diane,

If you want to show the plants at some future time, keep it one to a pot and
let them grow up. For your own enjoyment, do as you like. One thing: you
didn't mention the condition of the base plant. Is it in good condition, or
is it hurting? If the parent is ailing, that could be another reason for
keikes - trying to save itself. When I win something at a meeting, it
invariably needs repotting!

Diana, at the other end of the east coast!
et...

Old 21-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Diane Mancino

Diana,

I was told by the donor to not repot. I never listen because I always
inspect the plants before putting on the community shelf, I cleaned up the
dead roots and leads noting that there is new growth at the base of the
plant. I think I'll be ok removing the keikis, maybe I'll just take the ones
with the longest roots and the double kiekis. They are as wide as a pencil.
I still want to see the blooms on this which was said to" bloom all the
time"

I think the plant is healthy, but have never seen another so I cant compare.
Raffle plants are fun and a good way to get used to handling the plants. If
a root is nothing more than a thread ( the rest pulls off) its dead, I
assume. I think we can have a ugly raffle plant contest on Alt
Binaries.pictures.orchids. I definitely have a Catt to enter that I just
cleaned up.

Tag says 1999 for potting, so you can guess the size of this plant. How long
before a keiki gets to blooming size?

Diane

thlink.net...

Old 22-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

How long before a keiki gets to blooming size?

That can be any time. I bought some Den. kingianum keikis in january, in
febuary they all had flowers and now they are growing. I think it depends on
the size of the keikis and the growing conditions.

Peter

Old 22-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:35:20 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

They are as wide as a pencil.
I still want to see the blooms on this which was said to" bloom all the
time"

Tag says 1999 for potting, so you can guess the size of this plant. How long
before a keiki gets to blooming size?

Diane

Den kingianum 'Ruth' AM/AOS
A beautifully grown plant completely encircled with over 300
flowers, thirty-five spikes; dominantly deep-purple at ends of
tepals, lightening in tone towards center; lip a deep uniform
purple.
Exhibitor was Louis A. Jaskow, Jr., Rye, N.Y
Judged in Regional Supplementary Judging at NY, NY
3/20/1974

So you have an awarded plant. With quite a potential and
history. A full grown keiki will be about the size of a pencil.
Aren't the center mother plant canes about that size. So they
can bloom and rebloom again and again. This is one line I have
seen bloom very happily on old canes. Right up until they dry up
and start to fall apart.

Good work on the raffle table. I will let you collect my tickets
for me. I don't win like that. Usually the ticket before or
after mine is the one drawn.

SuE
Old 22-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Diane Mancino

Sue, Like I said, I Won!. When a member read what I had just got, he said
the donor didn't know what was given up, but I know she has many plants, and
she probably has more. She gave up a huge cattlea that didn't have a tag.
This isn't'the first awarded win. We have some good growers here and its a
small club. Anyone in the Vt/Nh area, I'd love to invite them to a meeting.

Still take the keikis off? I think I'll just take a few. To save space I'll
use one of those cell packs that garden annuals come in for the keikis and
put them on the growing shelf

Diane

Old 22-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Gene Schurg

Dianne,

Since you have many keikis you should try mounting a couple. I've started
mounting plants on cork and really like that look. It makes a great show.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 22-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Diane Mancino

I was wondering about that Gene. I didn't have any seedlings that I wanted
to risk, but since I have to secure the keikis with its short roots, sounds
like a winner. Don't have something to mount on but a ton of fire wood in
the yard. ( I can order online of course. Has anyone ever mounted orchids on
bark?, a wood slab? I can cut a slab that would be mostly bark. mount more
than one to a slab?

hlink.net...

Old 22-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Wendy

Good idea Gene, but Diane, I have used most any kind of clean wood. Just
soak the pieces in case of bugs!
Cheers Wendy

Old 22-06-2003, 04:56 PM
K Barrett

I knew the 'Ruth' clone was mentioned in a Wilford Neptune post, so I
searched Googgle groups and found the relevant item.

Quoting Wilford Neptune:

"Certain clones, as
'Ruth' AM/AOS, and 'Roy' AD/AOC/QOS-HCC/AOS, produce multiple keikis, and if
these are not removed after blooming the keikis make keikis, and these make
keikis and soon there is a veritable weed patch. 'Karl Marx' rarely makes
keikis and when it does they may be small, and on removing may behave like
seedlings out of flask and take 3 to 5 years to bloom; whereas the usual
keiki
after removal can be planted and will make a new growth, perhaps a keiki,
and
all will usually bloom the following season. The pot is watered enough to
keep
it moist, and during hot weather this may be every day. It is fed 200ppm of
N/wk, in a low N ratio, as 9-30-25. All are potted in a bark mix. This is
one
Dendrobium which will not do as well if mounted. It will do better in a
shallow
pot, and in Australia it is commonly grown in a saucer."

K Barrett

Old 22-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Hi,
How about putting different dendrobium Kingianums (different colours)
together.
I did it this year with a Den. kingianum (botanical) together with a Den.
kingianum var album.
5 keikis in one pot and all with flowers at the same time. It realy looked
good. Sorry I didn't have a camara at the time, still don't. So no pic's
Peter

"WNeptune" schreef in bericht
Subject: keikis on keikis on keikis
From: "Diane Mancino"
Date: Fri, Jun 20, 2003 8:10 PM
I won another old orchid this month. A Den kingianum Ruth, very bushy, out
of bloom but kiekies everywhere some on other kiekies with roots on them.
Should those Kiekies stay on, or should I remove.

Further down in this thread K Barrett reviewed a few comments I have made

re
this clone.
This was the first kingie to win a flower award in the AOS system, and I
obtained a keiki the following year and thus began my love affair with Den
kingianum-this is my favorite of all the orchids. This is a wonderful

plant,
but today there are numerous, and far superior kingies available.
In kingies, keikis are the function of genetics, and within reason have

nothing
to do with culture. I have plants which in spite of correct culture ( my

term)
will only have one keiki every 3 or 4 years; others, such as 'Ruth', now

in a
16in pot, will have about 120 keikis/year.
I can only again urge one to always remove all keikis after flowering, but
leave the current year's keikis on as they will increase the number of

flowers
during flowering. Without removal, the plant becomes a weed patch and is
unsightly.

Old 22-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

Go to your nearest pet shop and see if they have any drift wood for
lizzards. The petsmart here in Northern Virginia carry lots of it. I
picked through the hundred or so pieces and got a couple that were perfect
for mounting plants and also had a flat side for a hook. They were big
enough that I was able to cut them in half. I bought 2 and have four nice
mounts.

Good growing,
Gene

speaking of keikis tbell Orchids 10 11-10-2003 02:02 AM
When will phal keikis develop roots? Ted Byers Orchids 1 20-06-2003 10:08 PM
nobile type dends and keikis Ted Byers Orchids 2 17-04-2003 01:08 AM
keikis Ted Byers Orchids 5 09-04-2003 03:56 PM
Epidendrum keikis Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 7 28-01-2003 12:46 AM