Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Gerard-P

Default Den. pendulum

Hi all,

Early this year I bought a Dendrobium Pendulum

(three in fact) in a plastic basket, standing upright.

They should hang down of course but I have a

problem finding the right way to pot or attach them.

Any suggestions?

Greetings,

Gerard

Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Gene Schurg

Gerard,

I can't speak specifically for that variety since I don't have it in my
collection.

I do have other pendant Dendrobium species. First you could put a hook on
the bottom of the basket and just hang it on a wall the plant will gradually
hang lower as the canes grow out.

Another option would be to get a slab of cork, or other untreated wood.
Drill two small holes about 1/2 inch apart. Make a small wad of long fibre
moss. Thread a piece of thin wire or fishing line (monofilament) through
the holes so that a big loop is on the front of the slab. I like fishing
line because it dissapears when it's pulled tight.

Put the moss wad on the board under the loop then place the barerooted
dendrobium on top and pull the loop tight from behind the board. Tie the
wire or fishing line tight.

One final option would be just to hang the basket from a hook and eventually
the growths will get heavy and hang down. I have a Den sulawensience that
is growing in a 4 inch pot. I just sat the pot in a vanda basket. As the
canes get long and heavy I take a twist tie and lash it to one of the wire
hanger legs so it sticks out over the edge of the basket.

You have lots of choices. It only depends on how you want to care for the
plant.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 12-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Diane Mancino

Another option would be to get a slab of cork, or other untreated wood.
Drill two small holes about 1/2 inch apart. Make a small wad of long fibre
moss. Thread a piece of thin wire or fishing line (monofilament) through
the holes so that a big loop is on the front of the slab. I like fishing
line because it dissapears when it's pulled tight.

Put the moss wad on the board under the loop then place the barerooted
dendrobium on top and pull the loop tight from behind the board. Tie the
wire or fishing line tight.

OK Gene, I'm paying attention. I have cork on order and am about to mount my first dend. after I clean up the roots and place it on the cork, put moss over it and secure? does it matter how much moss and is there a best place to secure the wire to the plant. this sounds like a much better method for dends rather than having them propped because they fall over all the time

Diane

Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

I just pick a spot near the center of the slab so that it looks good. The cork I got from Tropical Plant Products (great prices on orchid supplies and nice people to deal with) has deep ridges in the bark. I stuff a wad of moss in the crevace formed by the ridges. I just want to keep a small amount of water available to the plant until it gets established on the bark slab.

You have to look at the variety of plant you are mounting and decide how fast does it dry out. Can it tolerate a long dry spell (less moss) or does it need constant water (more moss)? How much time does Diane have to mist the plants? less time (more moss) or lots of time (less moss).

I don't have enough experience with mounted plants to give you a definite guideline. This is another one of those things that differ with different culture and growing areas. My greenhouse is very humid and if I don't mist the mounts for a couple of days they don't seem to suffer. If they were in the air conditioned house I'd probably have to mist every couple of hours.

I have one keiki from a phalenopsis type denrobium that grows like a weed. I took the keiki and just made a staple out of wire and stuck it to a piece of compressed tree fern. No moss or anything. It is hanging with the other mounted plants and I noticed this week it's starting to send out another cane. It's been on the mount about 6 months and seems to be very happy. I thought it would dehydrate. I only did this as an experiment to see how it would grow.

As to where to secure the plant....each plant is different. You want it secure but you don't want to see the wire/string. The plant will send out roots during the next year and adhere to the slab. I try to find a center of balance on the root mass and tie it down. If you have a really floppy plant then drill another pair of holes further up the slab and put another loop around a cane or two.

I hope this helps.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 13-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Gerard-P

Hi Gene,

I have some board and cork mounted plants but I

don't know how to handle a pendant.

Never came across a picture of a pendant

on the Internet.

As the Pendulum is in three canes I'll try different ways

Your description is certainly one of them.

Regards,

Gerard

Old 13-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Diane Mancino

Thanks Gene. A lot of photos show of Dends, they look like they are growing
down instead of up. What would happen if you hung a cane type dend- (canes
are 24" long") upside down, the weight is going to go this way anyway? I
think it will adjust, trying to find its light.

Diane

"Gerard-P" wrote

Old 13-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:28:29 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

Thanks Gene. A lot of photos show of Dends, they look like they are growing
down instead of up. What would happen if you hung a cane type dend- (canes
are 24" long") upside down, the weight is going to go this way anyway? I
think it will adjust, trying to find its light.

Diane

Diane -
I had one that had to be tied up or it fell over. It seemed to
want to be down. So I mounted it hanging. Ever seen a cane do a
U turn? This one did in the middle of the cane. So that the top
of the cane was up. Seems the only reason it fell over was the
tiny pot not its natural inclination to grow down.
SuE
Old 14-07-2003, 12:05 AM
Diane Mancino

Thanks Sue, The cane actually turned? or continued to grow in the new
direction. I wanted to ask that the other night, but the lecture was long
enough without me asking silly questions. Really though if your going to
hang in a tree, or ledge somewhere- the light might be below and not up.

One more reason to like mounted plants- I knocked 3 hanging clay pots over
smashing the pots. I didn't freak out, just figured I'd might as well
inspect the roots and got them into new pots- the mounts just bounced and
got rerun.

Diane

Old 14-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

I'd mount it so it growing up. There are a bunch of Dendrobiums that start
out growing up and as the canes mature they droop.

Secure it the direction it was growing in the pot and let the plant decide.

Old 14-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:04:08 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

Thanks Sue, The cane actually turned? or continued to grow in the new
direction. I wanted to ask that the other night, but the lecture was long
enough without me asking silly questions. Really though if your going to
hang in a tree, or ledge somewhere- the light might be below and not up.

Diane

The cane actually grew in a U shape. I would photograph it for
you, but I lost it last spring.
SuE

Old 15-07-2003, 03:53 AM
solo_voyager

I realize that I'm coming into this thread late and will probably
duplicate some of what has already been said, here goes anyway.

D. pendulum is a naturally pendent growing plant. I know of none with
an upright growth habit. Although, there may be some. Some Dendrobium
species do have individuals of each persuasions. Whatever the plant's
habit is, upright, pendent, arching or...? about the only things I
know of that will influence it's habit are directional light and
staking. Directional light can make an upright or pendent growing
plants grow almost horizontally with the weight of the plant
subsequently drawing it down more. Any pendent growing orchid can be
made to grow upright if it is staked so and maintained in that
orientation. Growth habits can be manipulated. I do not do it myself.
I have many pendent growing Dendrobiums and like them that way.

They can be mounted on almost anything you can think of. My D.
pendulum is on a hardwood raft. It's the equivelent of the bottom
layer of a wooden basket. I do have photos. The problem is that my web
site photo album is all torn apart right now and nothing is
accessible. Another of my favorite mounting materials is bark from big
old Cottonwoods. I've found several that have been knocked over and
killed by avalanches. The bark is heavily fissured and can be as much
as 4" to 6" or more thick. It makes very interesting mounts. The cost
is a strenuous day outdoors.

I'll go work on my photo album to see if I can get the D. pendulum
photo available. no promises yet.
S V

Old 15-07-2003, 09:53 AM
solo_voyager

O.K., I've quickly thrown the album back together. The photo of my D.
pendulum is at:
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/freeloader/

This is a freebie site. Please excuse the popups and any banner ads.
Click on the ORCHID thumbnail then, the D. pendulum thumbnail. The
plant was acquired spring of last year. It began from a bareroot
condition. This year's growth is already almost 1-1/2X the length of
the one pictured. I can't wait for next spring. The only
dissapointment is that I was expecting purplish tips on the tepals.
S V

Old 15-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Wendy

Hi SV, Very nice photographs. Great job but you are right about those
popups!
Do you have your D. pendulum in pure sphagnum & how does it not fall out
at that angle? I was given a small chunk & it was in a plastic cup with
holes.
My friend told me it needs to grow down so in my haste I put the cup
sideways, tilted at an angle & it did bloom for me. I had forgotton about
this so need to rearrange it. I think I shall take it out of the cup & put
it in the basket.
Shorten two of the wires so that it is at an angle.
I also like it hanging down & it is in high light in my gh.
Cheers Wendy

"solo_voyager" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Den. Kilani Rose x Den. Pink Pixie Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 01-04-2007 09:12 PM
Culture for den speciosum & den aureum keith ;-\) Orchids 0 21-03-2005 09:03 PM
Den. pendulum Gerard-P Orchids 1 11-07-2003 11:28 PM
Den Aggregatum syn Den Lindleyii Siew Hong Orchids 0 13-05-2003 02:32 PM