Old 15-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Gerard-P

Default Den. pendulum

Exactly my questions. Thank you Wendy

Regards

Gerard

"Wendy" wrote in message
news:zgTQa.3913$He.2165@fed1read03...
Hi SV, Very nice photographs. Great job but you are right about those
popups!
Do you have your D. pendulum in pure sphagnum & how does it not fall out
at that angle? I was given a small chunk & it was in a plastic cup with
holes.
My friend told me it needs to grow down so in my haste I put the cup
sideways, tilted at an angle & it did bloom for me. I had forgotton about
this so need to rearrange it. I think I shall take it out of the cup & put
it in the basket.
Shorten two of the wires so that it is at an angle.
I also like it hanging down & it is in high light in my gh.
Cheers Wendy

"solo_voyager" wrote in message
om...
I realize that I'm coming into this thread late and will probably
duplicate some of what has already been said, here goes anyway.

D. pendulum is a naturally pendent growing plant. I know of none with
an upright growth habit. Although, there may be some. Some Dendrobium
species do have individuals of each persuasions. Whatever the plant's
habit is, upright, pendent, arching or...? about the only things I
know of that will influence it's habit are directional light and
staking. Directional light can make an upright or pendent growing
plants grow almost horizontally with the weight of the plant
subsequently drawing it down more. Any pendent growing orchid can be
made to grow upright if it is staked so and maintained in that
orientation. Growth habits can be manipulated. I do not do it myself.
I have many pendent growing Dendrobiums and like them that way.

They can be mounted on almost anything you can think of. My D.
pendulum is on a hardwood raft. It's the equivelent of the bottom
layer of a wooden basket. I do have photos. The problem is that my web
site photo album is all torn apart right now and nothing is
accessible. Another of my favorite mounting materials is bark from big
old Cottonwoods. I've found several that have been knocked over and
killed by avalanches. The bark is heavily fissured and can be as much
as 4" to 6" or more thick. It makes very interesting mounts. The cost
is a strenuous day outdoors.

I'll go work on my photo album to see if I can get the D. pendulum
photo available. no promises yet.
S V

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message

t...
Thanks Gene. A lot of photos show of Dends, they look like they are

growing
down instead of up. What would happen if you hung a cane type dend-

(canes
are 24" long") upside down, the weight is going to go this way anyway?

think it will adjust, trying to find its light.

Diane

Old 15-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Gerard-P

Hi,

Real stunning pictures.

I posted my little ones on ABPO as "little dens.

Regards

Gerard

"solo_voyager" wrote in message
om...
O.K., I've quickly thrown the album back together. The photo of my D.
pendulum is at:
http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/freeloader/

This is a freebie site. Please excuse the popups and any banner ads.
Click on the ORCHID thumbnail then, the D. pendulum thumbnail. The
plant was acquired spring of last year. It began from a bareroot
condition. This year's growth is already almost 1-1/2X the length of
the one pictured. I can't wait for next spring. The only
dissapointment is that I was expecting purplish tips on the tepals.
S V

. com...

Old 15-07-2003, 10:07 PM
solo_voyager

All 60+ of my orchids are grown in-home under very low (30 to 50% RH)
humidity conditions in S-SW facing windows (That's all I've got.). To
compensate for this, I pick the types I grow. My favorites that do the
best for me are the high altitude, monsoonal climate Dendrobiums that
require a cool, dry winter rest. Many of these are pendent, to my
delight. Local enthusiasts that are GH growers have a very difficult
time dealing with the relatively good results I get. I have developed
my own system that does not meet any orchid cultivation criteria I've
ever seen. But, It works for me. You can't argue with success. Under
more humid conditions some of my methods could be detrimental to the
plants.

With that said, here is how I deal with mounted pendants:

All of my mounted orchids have a large wad of sphagnum tied around the
mount in the root area. This cuts the need to water to usually every
2nd or 3rd day. For the last few weeks it's been 1 to 2 days. I never
water untill the sphagnum it completely dry. Most of these Dendrobiums
do not like their roots to be wet all the time. They need drying out
even during their growth period.

For the D. pendulum and others on similar rafts, I've tied it to a
slat in the middle of the raft with a plastic covered wire tie. Then,
I've packed sphagnum around all the slats on the raft and tied it into
place with nylon fishing line. Then, I've cut a piece of oak board to
fit the backside of the raft and screwed it into place (brass or ss
screws). This leaves only one side of the mount exposed to
evaporation. My Dend.'s mounted in this way are all very happy and
grow very nicely for me. Others I have mounted on the Cottonwood bark
with wads of sphagnum tied into place over the fissures in the bark
giving similar conditions to the rafts. Some of the roots just grow
into the moss, others through it and attach to the raft or bark as if
the moss wasn't there.

Old 15-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Gene Schurg

SV,

Great pictures! I have two Den. anosmum syn superbum that are mounted
identically to that.

I took deeper Vanda baskets like you did and "unbent" the wire to make the
basket a bit shallower by removing a row or two of wood bars. I save these
wood bars to slide into another basket to create a grid on another basket or
use small finishing nails to put them on the front after the plant is
inserted. This helps to hold the moss or other medium you might have in the
basket in place when the basket is hung on end.

I also use the fishing line to hold the moss in place.

Recently, I had to install the plastic fencing (1 inch squares) to keep the
deer out of my property. (Deer sure can clear a garden) The leftover
fencing I will use to cut up to cover these baskets and hold the material in
place.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 17-07-2003, 08:52 PM
solo_voyager

I forgot to ask this question in my last post:

What is ABPO? How do I get there to see your pics?
S V

Old 17-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Gerard-P

Hi,

A.B.P.O. stands for alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Don't think I need to explain further.

Have fun

Gerard

Old 17-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Ted Byers

"solo_voyager" wrote in message
I forgot to ask this question in my last post:

What is ABPO? How do I get there to see your pics?

ABPO is alt.binaries.pictures.orchids.

To get there to see the pics, just ad the ABPO newsgroup to the list of
newsgrups you view from your news server. If your ISP has it on their news
server, then you need not do anything else. If not, for whatever reason,
find another news server and get it from there (NB: you may have to pay a
fee for a news server that isn't run by your ISP).

Cheers,

Ted

Old 19-07-2003, 06:42 AM
solo_voyager

O.K.,now I'm beginning to feel as if I'm socially deprived. I have no
newsgroup, server or what ever. I havn't the faintest idea if it is or
isn't available through my ISP. To be honest, it sounds like more
trouble than it's worth. I'm so busy trying to figure out several new
software applications right now that I'm not quite willing to take
this one on too.

Thanks for trying to help, though.
S V

Old 19-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Ted Byers

"solo_voyager" wrote in message
om...
O.K.,now I'm beginning to feel as if I'm socially deprived. I have no
newsgroup, server or what ever. I havn't the faintest idea if it is or
isn't available through my ISP. To be honest, it sounds like more
trouble than it's worth. I'm so busy trying to figure out several new
software applications right now that I'm not quite willing to take
this one on too.

You are accessing at least one newsgroup already, this one, so you must have
access to a news server. And unless you went to the effort of finding one,
the server you're using is likely operated by your ISP (or contracted by
them out to someone else - either way, you have access to the news groups as
part of your ISP's service).

If you tell us what software you're using to read RGO (this news group), I
am sure someone here can tell you how to tell it to pull ABPO from the
server: that is a process that would take as long as five minutes, it is
normally really easy. Alternatively, if you didn't set up your news reader,
someone else must have, and you could ask them to either do it for you or
tell you how to do it.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 24-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Dave Sheehy

Gene Schurg ) wrote:
: One final option would be just to hang the basket from a hook and eventually
: the growths will get heavy and hang down. I have a Den sulawensience that
: is growing in a 4 inch pot. I just sat the pot in a vanda basket. As the
: canes get long and heavy I take a twist tie and lash it to one of the wire
: hanger legs so it sticks out over the edge of the basket.

Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that I got from
Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when they open
but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers for your
plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's just the
nature of the beast (err... plant).

TIA,

Dave

Old 25-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Gene Schurg

Dave,

I wish I could tell you. I got mine last February. It's growing great with
several new canes but hasn't flowered yet.

Gene

Old 25-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Dave Sheehy

Gene,

Gene Schurg ) wrote:
: Dave,

: I wish I could tell you. I got mine last February. It's growing great with
: several new canes but hasn't flowered yet.

I got mine last August. The website said it would take 2-5 years before
blooming but mine is in bloom now and I am obviously happy about that. The
flowers are gradually flatteing out but I think they'll be almost be done
by the time they really get flat but we'll see. This is a new species for
me so I'm not familiar with it's behavior yet. It's only grown one new cane
since I got it but the two leaved canes it had initially have grown out alot.
Harry at Andy's Orchids said this would be one of the harder plants for me
to grow in my conditions but so far it's been fairly easy which is
reassuring.

Dave

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...
:

Old 26-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Susan Jeffrey

Mine is mounted on a large stick (got it from Andy's) But you could
mount it by encasing the roots with some sphagnum and then fixing the
whole rootzone to a cork plaque or other type of mount using a bit of
floral wire. Eventually the wire wouldn't be neccessary.
Sue J

Gerard-P wrote:

Hi all,

Early this year I bought a Dendrobium Pendulum

(three in fact) in a plastic basket, standing upright.

They should hang down of course but I have a

problem finding the right way to pot or attach them.

Any suggestions?

Greetings,

Gerard

Den. Kilani Rose x Den. Pink Pixie Wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 01-04-2007 09:12 PM
Culture for den speciosum & den aureum keith ;-\) Orchids 0 21-03-2005 09:03 PM
Den. pendulum Gerard-P Orchids 1 11-07-2003 11:28 PM
Den Aggregatum syn Den Lindleyii Siew Hong Orchids 0 13-05-2003 02:32 PM