Old 19-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Kevin

Default fess up- how many do you have? (on a lighter note...)

I've been reading the newsgroup for a while, and first off I'd like to
thank everyone for some damn good advice. And a few laughs.

Come on guys, fess up now. How many do you have, and of what types,
what's your setup, etc. This is just curiousity, mind you. I'm as
curious about those with one orchid as one thousand. I'll start it
off:

25-30 Dends, a dozen Phals, 3 Oncs, 5 catts,and a Paph. (many are
seedlings!)
In a spare bedroom under 4 flor tubes- 2 cool white, 2 nat sun
room has shaded east window and small north window
water about every 10 days, Shultz Orchid Food 1/2t per 4gal every
other.
I usually dunk most of the plants in a bucket to water- 5 min?
About a year into it.
Member Orchid Society of Greater St. Louis

I can't wait to read other responses! Hope it's all growing well where
you are.

Kev
Old 19-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Tracey

How many do you have, and of what types, what's your
setup, etc.

About 40. About 15 Dens. A Vanda. Maybe 7 oncidiums. A
couple of paphs. A couple of odontoglossum (is that
right?). A pleurothallis. Some brassia. A couple of
milts. Others that I can't recall right now.

My setup? They're just sitting outside of my lanai
on various plant stands.

Tracey

Old 19-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Bolero

I have about 150 orchids now.

I am a member of two clubs and am now a student orchid judge.

Enjoying it more everyday.

Most of mine are cool growing mini catts. I grow my orchids outside all
year round.

om...

Old 19-07-2003, 03:02 PM
nightwriter

7 phals (and two kikis that are taking great!) , 3 dends, a lady slipper
(what IS that), and another one I don't know which is gorgeous.

mine are all in the west facing windows, inside. one of the phals has 3
spikes about to bloom! (haven't seen him do THAT for a while).

water once a week, spray occasionally. use 10-10-10 with good results.
repot when necessary.

contemplating joining the toronto orchid society. so much to learn.

"Bolero" wrote in message
I have about 150 orchids now.

I am a member of two clubs and am now a student orchid judge.

Enjoying it more everyday.

Most of mine are cool growing mini catts. I grow my orchids outside all
year round.

om...

Old 19-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Wendy

Welcome Kevin to our group & this wonderful hobby.
I have too many plants to list & have two smallish greenhouses.
I have about 500 cymbidiums that grow outside under shadecloth in S.Calif.
Have a diverse mix of orchids, probably have close to 2k! (very compulsive).
I use GroMore fert & a bloom booster at 1/4 strength then flush every 2
months.
I have only been at this since '94 but have a mentor (he is my Orchid
Society) & friend who helps me.
Cheers Wendy
om...

Old 19-07-2003, 05:02 PM
molli

I probably have about 130, they are currently outside except for the
pleuro/drac/masdies which are in their tank. I grow under lights in the
winter, started out with fluorescents and 2 orchids last August, now have a
HPS system to set up and many many more orchids....lol.

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 19-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Karen

Kevin wrote:
[...]

I have about 50 plants (various ones). At one time I had about 70 but
have down sized in anticipation of moving in the next 6 months or so.
Karen

Old 19-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Diane Mancino

3 miltonia, 1 agraecum, 2 encyclia, 3 onciduim, 2 colmanara,3 paphs, 1
maxillaria, 1 zygopendium, 6 phals, 5 dends, 6 brassia, 12 catts3 cyms and 1
stanhopea that's played dead for almost a year now. A raffle table and Ebay
junkie. Many seedlings that will surprise me. I have enough for my
satisfaction, but wouldn't turn down a seedling or cutting.

windowsill garden, mostly clay tom pots in bark mix and now a few mounts on
cork. intermediate light, Shultz orchid food, also Growmore pink and blue,
and superthrive. I have a large empty plastic pot that I will soak the plant
in when needed. Water first then feed.

4 seasons here, most plants are hanging outside and will bring in as needed.
I read to keep cymbidiums out to 40 degrees

Diane
Twin State Orchid Society (VT/NH)

Old 19-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Kevin,

I have around 200 plants, growing around the pool (Vandas) and in an
attached screened lanai that we added to hold the ever growing collection.
Can't give you an accurate breakdown without going to my Excel file, but
lots of Catts, Dends & Vandas. Also Oncidiums, Brassias, Miltassias, a good
number of Phals, and Epidendrum and Encyclia species. A couple of warm
growing Cymbidiums, a few Angraecums, and some oddballs here and there -
Aerides odoratum, Liparis viridiflora, Cirr. lepidum x Cirr guttolatum,
Spath. parsonii. Others, but not in large numbers.

Growing for 3 1/2 years and hooked.

Diana

Old 19-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Jim S

I am up to about 70 plants now

9 dens
3 phals
15 or so onc, milts and ondonts brassia's
5 or so catts
5 vandas
1 ascosenda
3 reed stems epis
7 epi's
5 or so encyclia's
1 digbyana
3 calcuta's
2 phrags
3 paph's
5 blc's and lc's
3 cyms
2 adgm
1brsdm
1mtdm

and a half dozen with no tags

I have a 20 X 10 green house here in so cal that I use more like a shade
house
the top is not completely sealed so out side air gets in, I have the misters
set at 70% hum. and it cycles as needed and then I have an east and north
facing windowsill that I grow on

growmore fert full strength + superthrive everytime I water

water 2 , 3 times a week flush once a month

been killing and growing for 10 years my first 5 years I would buy and die 2
to 3 catts at a time and then when I figured out what to do I started buying
more and building my collection

I usually buy or "OBTAIN" (I trade work for plants with local growers. ((you
have seen me on the freeway onramps "will work for Orchids")) I own a pest
control company, which comes in handy for spraying green houses, I also hold
a lic. in plant and production agriculture)
as I tell my wife 3 to 6 plants a month

Jim

om...

Old 19-07-2003, 11:42 PM
GrlIntrpted

The only reason that I have the list below is because I recently sent it to
a friend, I actually typed it up from my memory when I was corresponding
with him.
I have a whole bunch of Phals that I can't recall the names, as well as
Dendrobiums (both tagged and not). I grow them indoors, on window sills.
The low light lovers get to stay in my toddler's room, there they get
Northern exposure. Summer time I keep the orchids that like bright light
around the Western side of the house, a very bright spot with some direct
sun exposure, that's my living room. In the winter many are moved to the
Southern side of the house where there is very bright sun. The last time I
counted I had 122 orchid plants at home. Most of the one's that require
high humidity are sitting on pebble trays.

B. Little Stars
Bulb. vaginatum
Bulb. ambrosia
Bulb. Daisy Chain
Bulb. makoyanum *
Bulb. lasiochillum
Bl. Morning Glory
Blc. Goldenzelle 'Sandra AM/HOS
C. granulosa 'John Jensen' x sib
C. Hawaiian Wedding Song x Blc. Elizabeth Hearn
C. araguinsnsis
Colm. Wildcat 'Bobcat'
Den. lindleyi
Den. spectabile
Den. Compactum Gouldii x Udom Blue
Den. Eima Sa Minst W/RL
Enc. mariae
Enc. cochleata *
EPLC. Charlie Brown (LC. Rojo x Epi Atropurpureum)
Epi. satmfordianum
Epi. (eagle Valley ' Huge N Hot' x Sua Valley 'Red Hots') red
Gongora quinguinervis
Mtdm. Pupukea Sunset "Waiomao" (White)
Mtssa. Charles M Fitch "Izumi" AM/AOS
Mtssa. Royal Robe x Brs. Rex
Odtna. Susan Bogdanow 'Jennifer'
Paph. Puppentaz (haynaldianum 'Crestwood' AM/AOS x kolpakingii 'Candor
Nine')
Paph. Sukhakulii x Paph. Tuxedo Junction 'Catatonk' AM/AOS
Paph. Magic Lantern (delenatii x micranthum)
Paph. St. Swithin (phillippinense x rothchildianum)
Paph. Pinocchio (primulinum x glaucophyllum) *
Paph. Vinter's Treasure x Emerald and Maudiae
Phal. Abed-nego 'Pine Ridge'
Dtps. (Nobby's Purple x Minho Beauty) *
Phal. Be Tris
Phal. Taipei Gold
Phal. Brother Supersonic *
Phal. Brother Gold Miss #2 x Phal. Brother Fortune Green 'B#2-Yellow' *
Phal. Valentine *
Phal. Sogo Yukidan
Phal. Taisuco Kaaladlan "186" x P. (Taisuco Windlan x P. Pinlong Spring)
AM/AOS *
Pleur. chiapas
Pleur. coespitum
Mac. Tiger Lily
Masd. marguirite
Masd. infracta
Dracula erythrochaete (with 9 spikes!) *
Laelia lobata alba
Sl. Gratrixiae x C. Intermedia

*= in spike or in bloom

--
Mariana
Subscribe:

--
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
--Mahatma Gandhi

Old 20-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Sarah Huff

I have 27 - mostly dendrobiums, cattleya hybrids, phalenopses, doritanopses,
and brassia. Somehow 27 just doesn't seem like enough! :-)

Sarah
Take off the sweater to reply.
om...

Old 20-07-2003, 03:22 PM
disy

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I just found this group and thought I would butt in.

Quick overview - had orchids for about 6 years, a friend got me hooked, she
had well over 200 in a beautiful greenhouse.

The most I have had at one time is about 40, I am down to abut 30 now -
space in apartments is difficult.

I have mostly Phals (they are the easiest for me - and bring me the most
joy), I have 3 Dends, 1 Cats, 2 Oncs and 1 Masc - a beautiful Copper Angel
(well at least when it is doing good - it periodically looses all but one
leaf, then amazingly will come back with 3 or 4 leaves and beautiful bloom,
then it goes and plays dead again).

I have 4 plant lights and a one window sill that has worked great.

I look forward to learning a lot from the group - already have picked up a
few good things.

Someone referred to it as an addiction and it is - all it takes is one plant
and then your hooked!

Happy planting.

Diana

Old 20-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Wendy

Welcome Diana, Sounds like you've got that hooked on feeling! *g*
It is a wonderful addiction but can make you broke in no time!
Sounds like you are growing well.
Ask questions here, one can learn a lot.
Cheers Wendy
"disy" wrote in message
et...

om...

Old 21-07-2003, 02:55 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

would anyone please repost these things. I cant read anything after Kevin,
Tracey and Bolero.

Thanks
Peter