Old 20-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Diana Kulaga

Default OT - Hackers? Need Help.

Again, thanks all. And Mick, though I adore you, I must forego your
proposal, lest my husband proves to be a bit less liberal in his thinking.
VBG

Diana

Old 20-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

My name is Kevin and I operate the GardenBanter website referred to in an earlier post.

As correctly described earlier, the website acts as a gateway for many of the gardening newsgroups, allowing viewing and posting to the newsgroups through the web browser rather than a newsreader. (similar to google)

All email addresses are discarded from the headers of the posts. The only time the email addy will turn up is if it is in the body or footer of the message, or occasionaly, when someone with a newsreader has replied without snipping, and their headings on the newsreader are set to 'show'.

In order to assist with the spam (harvesting) issues for users of the site, I set up a system that delivers a unique email address with every post, which is linked backed to GardenBanter, spam filtered, and the genuine message kept at the site until the user logs in next. It's not perfect, but it does help and very little spam gets through. This way it can keep your own email address seperate, but still allow messages to be received.

There is no perfect system - beware that the latest email harvesters will search and remove words like NOSPAM from the address, or any group of letters in uppercase. You need to be creative to keep them fooled.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Shell91

Hi
I am new to this group but I could not let this go without posting some
help. I have been hacked in the past and had someone send me the blaster
worm recently. Some worms and trojans do not have to be opened as in openng
an attachment, some open themselves. Anyway, some good links a

Symantec Security Check (free)
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/h...OABMSTHXOAMEQV

Zone Alarm (free version):
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...sp?lid=pdb_za2

(zone alarm basic is free and running in stealth mode makes your computer
invisible to other computers trying to get into your computer but it does
not affect your internet performance)

House Call (free antivirus check):
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

From what you have said about your computer trying to connect to the net as
soon as you turn it on you probably have a trojan or a worm. Best thing to
do is use one of the free antivirus scans, which should tell you if you have
anything and how to get rid of it. Once you are sure your computer is not
infected with anything start running a firewall like zone alarm (I have been
running this for several years with no problems) Also running an antivirus
scan regularly and making sure it is up to date is essential. There are
lots of other things that can be done to secure a computer, like encrypting
email and such but they're mostly for professional computer people.

Shell

"Alison" wrote in message
om...
(Foo Finder) wrote in message

. com...

Trojans are spying tools that people use to get info out of your PC.
It sends things to people while you're on line. Some of them would
even dial out.

Could someone please tell me how to eliminate a trojan or find out if
you have one? My computer decided to start trying to connect itself
to the internet when I turn it on, & I was told I might have got a
trojan -- but not sure how? I don't open mail from people I don't
know.

Ann has asked me to add some helpful anti hacker links to Oddhobby, I
will do so as soon as I get some time. Until then, you're looking for
programs that eliminate commerical spyware for starters.

Where would I find one & is this the same as the firewall you
mentioned?

There is a free firewall called Zone Alarm. It's not that hard to
use. But if you set it up wrong some (internet) things will stop
working. Everyone who posts to usenet should use a firewall, it's
very important.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alison

Old 05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Gideon Singer

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:31:46 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

Hi
I am new to this group but I could not let this go without posting some
help. I have been hacked in the past and had someone send me the blaster
worm recently. Some worms and trojans do not have to be opened as in openng
an attachment, some open themselves. Anyway, some good links a

Symantec Security Check (free)
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/h...OABMSTHXOAMEQV

Zone Alarm (free version):
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...sp?lid=pdb_za2

(zone alarm basic is free and running in stealth mode makes your computer
invisible to other computers trying to get into your computer but it does
not affect your internet performance)

House Call (free antivirus check):
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

From what you have said about your computer trying to connect to the net as
soon as you turn it on you probably have a trojan or a worm. Best thing to
do is use one of the free antivirus scans, which should tell you if you have
anything and how to get rid of it. Once you are sure your computer is not
infected with anything start running a firewall like zone alarm (I have been
running this for several years with no problems) Also running an antivirus
scan regularly and making sure it is up to date is essential. There are
lots of other things that can be done to secure a computer, like encrypting
email and such but they're mostly for professional computer people.

Shell

Another good thing to run is a firewall. This is usually part of any
antivirus package such as Norton or Zone Alarm. REMEMBER that your
protection is only as good as your updates!! If you don't update the
signatures and other detection criteria then you may as well not have
any protection at all. On my home computer I have both a firewall and
an antivirus protection suite running all the time with auto updates
enabled.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Ted Byers

"Gideon Singer" wrote in message
[snip]
Another good thing to run is a firewall. This is usually part of any
antivirus package such as Norton or Zone Alarm. REMEMBER that your

Can you run both of these products without problems? Presumably each has
its strengths and weaknesses, so running both ought to provide better
protection than either alone.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 05-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Ray

I use a 4-step approach:

Hardware firewall
Software firewall
Antivirus software
Anti-Trojan software - Lavasoft's Ad-Aware 6 - nobody should be without it,
and the free version is very effective, if manual.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 06-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Gideon Singer

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:48:44 -0400, "Ted Byers"
wrote:

Can you run both of these products without problems? Presumably each has
its strengths and weaknesses, so running both ought to provide better
protection than either alone.

Cheers,

Ted

As far as I know yes you can. I use Norton which has both.. This
would be better answered in a computer newsgroup rather than here.