Old 19-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Nini Rosenfeld

Default New to Orchids

Hi,
I am new to Orchids... The addicition has started already though...
I got a Phalaenopsis and I could liked to know if I can grow her on
stones or pebbles and what do I have to do. Also I would be grateful
for any caring tips.
Thanks Nini
Old 19-08-2003, 07:33 PM
tbell

Congratulations and condolences on your new addiction. We love to see
new converts. You'll be surprised how quickly that one plant turns into
many.
There are many growing media, and everyone has preferences. Stones like
lava rock, which retain some moisture when you water, but are not toxic to
the plant, are one choice.
Perhaps the best thing you can do is read one of the many introductory
books on orchid growing and/or go to the orchid society website:
http://orchidweb.org. You are certainly welcome to lurk here and post
pictures when you have them, or post questions on alt.rec.gardens.orchids,
which is a text only newsgroup.
Good luck.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Nikon Coolpix 5700
(To reply by e-mail, remove appendix)

Old 20-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Claude

Hello Nini!

I`m Claude and I am an orchid addict!!!

I grow mine in LECA meaning Light Expanded Clay Aggregate, in plain english
some porous ceramic sphere they use in hydroponic culture, and I have great
succes with that kind of media. It`s clean,can be use over and over, and
pretty!

Do some search and good luck with your addiction!

Claude

Old 20-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:21:30 -0400, "Claude"
wrote:

Hello Nini!

I`m Claude and I am an orchid addict!!!

I grow mine in LECA meaning Light Expanded Clay Aggregate, in plain english
some porous ceramic sphere they use in hydroponic culture, and I have great
succes with that kind of media. It`s clean,can be use over and over, and
pretty!

Do some search and good luck with your addiction!

Claude

Nini -
Welcome -
Many of us use a variety of LECA/or similar product to grow
semi-hydroponicly. You can read about that in a very good
descriptive article that Ray has on his web site.
www.firstrays.com - in the free stuff is lots of tidbits on
living with plants and not using insecticides because they are
house plants. Etc.
I too my an Orchid Addict and proud of it.

SuE
Old 25-08-2003, 02:02 AM
LYNN32141

In article , "Claude"
writes:

Hello Nini!

I`m Claude and I am an orchid addict!!!

gee, you all make me think we're at an AA meeting.. LOL

Lynn

Old 28-08-2003, 12:02 PM
LYNN32141

In article , Susan Erickson