Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Shell91

Default Slightly OT...Tillandsias Question

Does anyone have Tillandsias? I am wondering how well one will do with an
orchid which is planted in a similar manner (mounted on a piece of bark,
etc.) I have just gotten a Tillandsia capitata Hondurensis and I think it
would look really nice in a grouping with an orchid, most likely a cattleya.
I plan to get a full spectrum light for the Tillandsia as well, will this be
good for the orchid too?

Shell

Old 09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Ray

Tillandsias make marvelous companion plants for orchids. Just be aware that
they are much slower to put out roots and grab the mount than are orchids,
so you will have to apply the mechanical support.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 09-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Wendy

Hi Shell, Tillandsias, my second love! I would mount the T. capitata on its
own piece of wood as
they get quite big......about the size of a football?
Cheers Wendy
. ..

Old 09-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Shell91

I've been looking on the net and I will probably fix it on a piece of wood
using a bit of wire. I've got some nice copper wire that ought to work
well.

Shell

"Ray" wrote in message
Tillandsias make marvelous companion plants for orchids. Just be aware

that
they are much slower to put out roots and grab the mount than are orchids,
so you will have to apply the mechanical support.

. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 09-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Shell91

I'm thinking a nice piece of wood with a good base. I didn't know they got
that big I hope it does. I will try and post a picture when I get it
situated.

Shell

"Wendy" wrote in message
Hi Shell, Tillandsias, my second love! I would mount the T. capitata on

its
own piece of wood as
they get quite big......about the size of a football?
Cheers Wendy
. ..

Old 09-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:34:25 GMT, "Shell91"
wrote:

I've been looking on the net and I will probably fix it on a piece of wood
using a bit of wire. I've got some nice copper wire that ought to work
well.

Shell

One of the best tie downs of all times is a strip about 1" wide
cut from panty hose. Stretch it out and you will have a very
strong tie. It also blends into the background and does not
scream "look at me" like many tie materials do. Yes, I know in
some areas panty hose no longer are in use. .. So buy a cheap one
and cut away.
SuE
Old 09-09-2003, 10:06 PM
tennis maynard

Shell91 wrote:
I'm thinking a nice piece of wood with a good base. I didn't know they got
that big I hope it does. I will try and post a picture when I get it
situated.

Shell

Shell-

Please do NOT use that copper wire- it could kill the til- most broms
react very negatively to metals. Use only a rubber-coated wire or better
yet, plumber's goop (I know it sounds crazy but many on the brom group
swear by it. I have grown broms almost as long as orchids and T.capitata
is one of the loveliest.

Tennis

Old 09-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

One of the substances that will not bother the Tillandsias is Liquid Nails
(a number of Tillie growers in this area swear by the stuff). Elmer's Glue
is another. We have used both with great results, in conjunction with the
above mentioned pantyhose strips or thin telephone wire (from a cable which
contains multiple wires).

My husband has two lengths of driftwood covered with Tillies, and we have
other bromies growing elsewhere. They're pretty hardy, unless the squirrels
or racoons decide to munch on them.

Diana

Old 10-09-2003, 02:27 AM
V_coerulea

Haven't grown tillandsias under lights, but in the greenhouse they're
fantastic with the orchids. There's capitata, bulbosa, stricta, recurvata,
Caput-Medusae, ionantha, and lots of usneoides which hangs from many vanda
and dendrobium baskets. We have many others dotted around the greenhouse.
Must admit, we've also thrown in some Aechmeas, Neoregelia , large pitcher
plants, fern varieties and some semi-epiphytic gesneriads for variety and
color. We mount the tillandsias on cork with some sphagnum using fishing
line which is transparent and practically invisible. I've never had a
problem with it cutting plants or causing any other problem as it has
considerable stretch and give to it. I've heard of copper toxicity with
tillandsias (and other plants too) and so I never use it unless it's well
covered and only for temporary situations. The fishing line's also very easy
to remove after the plant takes hold. And a roll of it is cheap compared to
any other material use to tie on plants. Hope you enjoy your new find. Check
out http://www.airplant.com/price.html for lots of photos even if you don't
buy wholesale. You can probably find many of them locally glued to small
pots or shells in a Lowe's or Home Depot or WalMart. It's another worthwhile
rescue mission. Remove them from their prison, mount and enjoy.
Gary

. ..

Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Shell91

Good idea even better than fishing line. I use pantyhose to fie up my
irises when they need support.

Shell

Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Shell91

Thanks for the information on the wire. I think I will use fishing line or
pantyhose or something similar

Shell

Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Shell91

Thanks for the information. I think I'm down to using pantyhose and a nice
piece of wood. I plan on keeping the tillandsia inside so if the squirrels
get after it I really would have a problem We have red squirrels and
grey ones.

Shell

ink.net...

Old 10-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Shell91

Thanks for the information I had no idea copper was bad for plants, I
think that the copper garden stakes will have to go in another area. I
would love to have a greenhouse, the one that my dad started to build for me
quickly turned into a storage shed for car parts. I have looked at the
airplant.com site and have got a lot of information there. I got my
tillansia on ebay (one of my hobbies) and if this one does well I plan on
getting more.

Shell

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

My Tillandsias Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 06-04-2010 07:03 AM
Tillandsias Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 21-02-2010 06:13 AM
Menagerie of Tillandsias (Air Plants) Wendy7 Garden Photos 3 25-08-2007 10:09 PM
Tillandsias wendy7 Garden Photos 3 07-01-2007 11:53 AM
Slightly OT...Tillandsias Question-NO copper wire Wendy Orchids 2 12-10-2003 08:42 PM