Old 11-09-2003, 03:10 AM
Shell91

Default Dendrobium

Well I went and did it. I went to Lowe's and they had a 4" dendrobium which
did not have the fancy pot the rest had so it was half price and a 10"
community pot which had one bloom left (also half price) so I bought them.
I noticed the community pot has at least 2 new plants coming up and looks
very healthy to me. The 4" also looks healthy. I will post some pictures
as soon as I get them uploaded from my camera. Any opinions and advice is
welcome.

I figured I would just jump in with both feet

Shell

Old 11-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Shell91

The community pot is Dendrobium Ceaser Jac according to the tag I found
partially burried in the side.

Question: do I need to re-pot these or are they ok for now?

Shell

. ..

Old 11-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Shell,

I doubt that is is a community pot from Lowes. Look closely...are you sure
its not one plant that has numerous pseudobulbs? Many of the smaller
dendrobiums will fill a pot with small pseudobulbs and to a casual observer
would look like a compot.

If you divide it up you may have to wait several years before you see
flowers again. If it was my plant I would check the medium for rot and
consider leaving grow for a while in the current pot.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Shell91" wrote in message
. ..
The community pot is Dendrobium Ceaser Jac according to the tag I found
partially burried in the side.

Question: do I need to re-pot these or are they ok for now?

Shell

. ..

Old 11-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Shell

It's possible it isn't a community pot, I am pretty new at this and
I'm not sure how to tell. The pot does have three of the clips used
for holding the orchid in the pot. I plan to let it dry out a good
bit since it rained on the orchid before I got it and then check the
potting medium to make sure it's ok. If it needs it I will re-pot in
the same pot but I don't want to divide it until it fills thw pot a
good deal more. There are some pictures on the
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids newsgroup

Shell

"Shell91" wrote in message
The community pot is Dendrobium Ceaser Jac according to the tag I found
partially burried in the side.

Question: do I need to re-pot these or are they ok for now?

Shell

. ..

Old 11-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Diana Kulaga

Shell,

I saw your photos in abpo before I read your post here. Did respond over
there, but from what I see of the plants, they are normal Dends. A
community pot contains seedlings that have been grown in flask; the next
step after compot is individual pots. You won't find blooming in a compot,
as the plants are too young. As to dividing the plants you have, I wouldn't
just yet. When dividing, it's a good idea to give each division 4
pseudobulbs (the canes are the pseudobulbs in this case).

Take care.

Diana

Old 12-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Shell91

Thanks for the information, I think I will leave them as they are and just
re-pot into rock of some kind. I don't want to divide until absolutely
necessary since I have ne idea how to go about that. I definitely want to
get rid of the sphagnum moss in the small pot though so it will get a new
and better pot the same size as the one it's now in. Lowe's also had a
gorgeous paph that I am going to go see if it's still there and get it too

Shell

.net...

Old 12-09-2003, 02:39 AM
Gene Schurg

Shell,

Be careful buying discount plants. Often they have sat on the shelves for a
long time in less than perfect conditions.

You would be better served buying healthy unbloomed plants from a reputable
orchid grower. If there is something special that you can't find somewhere
else then go for it....but....for common generic plants it's not worth the
work.

Good Growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 12-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Diana Kulaga

Oh, Gene, he's hooked! No amount of good advice will help! Another one
bites the dust.

Diana

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
nk.net...
Shell,

Be careful buying discount plants. Often they have sat on the shelves for

long time in less than perfect conditions.

You would be better served buying healthy unbloomed plants from a

reputable
orchid grower. If there is something special that you can't find

somewhere
else then go for it....but....for common generic plants it's not worth the
work.

Good Growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 13-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Diana Kulaga

Sorry, She Shell!

Diana

Old 13-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Shell91

No problem

Old 13-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Gene Schurg

but does....

She, Shell, sells sea shells by the sea shore?

I couldn't resist!
Gene

Old 13-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Wendy

(((LOL))) You guys are so funny....Welcome to the group Shell, we aren't
always like this
I think it's the moon?
I often wonder why people with such pretty names use nick names?
Cheers Wendy (who has a sister that uses Mich)

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
nk.net...
but does....

She, Shell, sells sea shells by the sea shore?

I couldn't resist!
Gene

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
nk.net...
Sorry, She Shell!

Diana

Dendrobium Judith - Dendrobium Judith-a.jpg joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 1 11-03-2013 01:42 PM
Dendrobium monophyllum - cute small yellow dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 3 03-01-2007 08:59 AM
Dendrobium johannis - lovely rich brown antelope dendrobium Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 06:26 AM
What is a Dendrobium? Andrew Orchids 18 14-02-2003 03:39 AM
Dendrobium himezakura sanokku Ted Byers Orchids 10 10-02-2003 05:26 PM