Old 16-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Wendy

Default Cut back Phal to where? Attn:-Tracey

I have heard it three ways, the Kay-eek-key? Now where is Tracey she will
know
for sure?
Cheers Wendy
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
link.net...
I've always heard Keykey. Maybe in Hawaiian dialect it's the other way?

Diana

"Reka" wrote in message
Good advice up to here, Sue, but you pronounce it "KAY-key".
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

subject."
--Winston Churchill
"Susan Erickson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:01:55 GMT, J X M
wrote:

Have fun with your growing pair. Oh, Keiki is pronounced as
KEY-key.

SuE

---

Old 17-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Reka

Well, to be honest, the Hawaiians would probably pronounce it Kay-EE-key.
The clue is, in Hawaiian all letters are pronounced, vowels are A - ah, E -
ay, I - ee, O - oh, U - oo. the consonants are H, K, L, M, N, P, and W.
That makes only 12 letters! Think of Hawaii, aloha, Maui, lei, haole, luau,
wahine, etc. (the last word is logically not meant to be Hawaiian!) But
we'll let the expert have the last word. Tracey, where are you??

Old 17-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Reka, you just made my head hurt! Just kidding.......interesting stuff.
Always something new to learn.

Diana

Old 19-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Tracey

But we'll let the expert have the last word. Tracey,
where are you??

Oh, my! I'm an *expert*. Hehe

Okay, Reka's got it down pretty good. The only thing to
add is that the 'pronounce every letter' is very 'old'
Hawaiian. Current usage allows a little bit of glossing
over of some letters, especially when it's words that
are used a lot. So, a Hawaiian from 100 years ago
*might* have pronounced the word 'kay-ee-key', common
usage nowadays is 'kay-key'.

Anyone want to work out how you would pronounce the
town name Aiea?

Tracey

Old 19-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Wendy

Ah-ee-ay-ah (the unglossed version)? Reminds me of part of an old song:-
Oo ee oo ah ah, walla walla bing bang......?
Cheers Wendy

Old 19-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Wendy

"Tracey" wrote in message
But we'll let the expert have the last word. Tracey,
where are you??

Oh, my! I'm an *expert*. Hehe

Okay, Reka's got it down pretty good. The only thing to
add is that the 'pronounce every letter' is very 'old'
Hawaiian. Current usage allows a little bit of glossing
over of some letters, especially when it's words that
are used a lot. So, a Hawaiian from 100 years ago
*might* have pronounced the word 'kay-ee-key', common
usage nowadays is 'kay-key'.

Anyone want to work out how you would pronounce the
town name Aiea?

Tracey

Attn: true rec ponders I've heard back from Big-8 -george [email protected] Ponds 3 27-11-2006 02:07 AM
To Tracey and her Fiance Mike United Kingdom 2 02-09-2004 12:47 PM
Vale Jeff Tracey Phred Plant Science 0 02-08-2004 02:26 PM
Cut back Phal to where? TOM KAN PA Orchids 13 18-09-2003 03:42 AM
Attention Tracey Wendy Orchids 0 17-09-2003 04:04 PM