Old 01-12-2003, 04:23 AM
Claude

Default Fragrant orchid!

Hello everyone!

I would like to know which Phal are very fragrant? Can you give a few name?

Also, at the last OrchidExpo in Montréal, there was an orchid with a
chocolat fragance but I don`t recall the name of that orchid?That was a
beautiful plant with tons of smal, deep red cocoa flowers! Any Idea? If
yes, can this be grown like Phal ?

Thanks

Claude

Old 01-12-2003, 04:43 AM
J Fortuna

Phal violacea & Phal bellina -- very nicely fragrant, but more difficult to
cultivate than most Phals, since it is more prone to root rot. I have got
one, and I am fighting to get it to regrow its roots.
Joanna

Old 01-12-2003, 05:05 AM
anonymous

I would like to know which Phal are very fragrant?

Be careful. I bought a fragrant orchid once, and it just about knocked me out of
the house, the scent was so strong. It was okay at the show, but once I got it
home, the perfume was too intense after just the first night.

Old 01-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Ted Byers

"Claude" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

I would like to know which Phal are very fragrant? Can you give a few

name?

You might take a look for P. violacea, P. speciosa, P.bellina, P. tetraspis.
There are undoubtedly more, but these are the ones that come to mind right
now.

P. schilleriana can be quite fragrant, as long as it is close to the wild
type. The "improved" culticars have often lost their fragrance during the
artificial selection process. I spoke to a chap from Bedford orchids, who
has a facility in or near Montreal IIIRC, at the SOOS/COS show in TO in
April and was told their schilleriana is quite fragrant. You might pay them
a visit to see if they have any and check on whether or not the scent is
strong enough for you.

Have you met, or written to, Paul yet? He should have plenty of information
for you. And his plants, from what I have seen, are very good. I have yet
to succeed in killing one I got from him (and I have 9 from him so far). I
will undoubtedly be getting more from him next year.

Also, at the last OrchidExpo in Montréal, there was an orchid with a
chocolat fragance but I don`t recall the name of that orchid?That was a
beautiful plant with tons of smal, deep red cocoa flowers! Any Idea? If
yes, can this be grown like Phal ?

I may be completely wrong, but the first thing that comes to mind is Sharry
Baby. IIRC, it is an Oncidium and as such wants a fair bit more light than
do phals. But if you can keep phals happy, I would guess that you can keep
it happy with some extra supplemental light. If I am mistaken, and it won't
be the first time, someone more knowledgable than I will undoubtedly correct
me. After all, I don't have a Sharry Baby myself. :-)

HTH

Ted

Old 01-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

I may be completely wrong, but the first thing that comes to mind is
Sharry
Baby. IIRC, it is an Oncidium and as such wants a fair bit more light

than
do phals. But if you can keep phals happy, I would guess that you can

keep
it happy with some extra supplemental light. If I am mistaken, and it

won't
be the first time, someone more knowledgable than I will undoubtedly

correct
me. After all, I don't have a Sharry Baby myself. :-)

I don't think you're wrong, Ted. Sounds like Onc. Sharry Baby to me. As far
as light is concerned, it does take more than Phals, but in my experience
the Onc's don't need the high light that Catts and Dends get.

Diana

Old 02-12-2003, 03:42 PM
P.J. Bloodworth

Phalaenopsis fasciata from Oak Hill has a subtle, floral fragrance. (They
call it P. lueddemanniana).

A really nice find at the local Home Depot was the hybrid, Phal. 'Brother
Lancer.' Beautiful and nice fragrance, too!

Jeff

Old 02-12-2003, 04:04 PM
P.J. Bloodworth

There are a couple of P. 'Brother Lancer' clones (?) floating around. The
one I have that is fragrant is apparently called TK. Check it out at this
website:
http://www.bus.miami.edu/~igor/natur...oomers_8.html#
phal_brother_lancer

Love those tiny polka-dots!

Jeff

ink.net...

Old 08-12-2003, 04:13 AM
mg

It could also be Onc. ornithychum. I've got one blooming now and it
smells just like Sharry Baby. Or, to be more accurate, Sharry Baby
smells just like it. Looks completely different than Sharry Baby though.