Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Reka

Default Cattleya Portia

Any clues on this one? I am still having problems blooming it. After
giving it enough sun that it got some sunburned spots (southern balcony with
shading in the noonday sun in the summer and a southern exposure skylight in
winter), giving it plenty of water (it's in a hydro net pot with medium fine
bark) and threatening it with the Cuisinart, it still does nothing but grow
tons of roots and an occasional new growth. Are these also heavy feeders?
That is the only thing I can think of. And too low humidity?

Anyone got a brilliant idea before I expose it to the freezing temperatures
outside???
--
Reka
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.

---

Old 09-12-2003, 02:06 PM
TRAINMAN9

Anyone got a brilliant idea before I expose it to the freezing temperatures
outside???
--

I have a Portia Cerulea 'Sir Jeremia Coleman' that just finished blooming. Some
cattleyas are light sensitive and many are short day plants. Since this is a

If it is exposed to light in the evening it may not bloom. Are there any
outside lighting that may be effecting the blooming? If you are growing indoors
or under artificial lighting you may want to change the length of time you have
the lights on. You also do not say how big the plant is. Mine is in a six inch
pot and the pseudobulbs are at least 18 inches tall.

Fertilizer amount does not seem to have any effect since I have not used any on
this plant.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Reka

Well, if it's a short day plant, then it should be damned happy here. :-|
The sun comes over the eastern Dolomites at about 10 a.m. and goes down
behind the western Brenta group at 1:30 p.m. ... It is hanging above my bed
under the skylight, so it does get a bit of light from my reading lamp
before I go to sleep, if you think that would bother it.
The 6 growths are about a foot tall above the rim of the 6" pot. The newest
growth is much lighter green and has three leaves instead of just one like
the others. As I said, the pot is one of those net pots for water plants.

--

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

Old 09-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Kenni Judd

Reka: Patience! Your plant sounds to me like it's just approaching
blooming-size.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

"Reka" wrote in message
Well, if it's a short day plant, then it should be damned happy here.
:-|

Old 09-12-2003, 05:02 PM
K Barrett

I've never been able to grow catts in net pots. They always dry out too fast
in my conditions. But all in all I'd agree with Kenni that your's is just
getting up to size.

K Barrett

Old 09-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Wendy

Forgive me Reka, but I think your plant doesn't like the view over your bed!
You need to hang it where it can see between the Eastern Dolomites &
the Western Brenta group! *G*
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 10-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Jeff

This plant requires a LOT of light .... when the bulbs are close to
maturity I move these plants in to full sun just short of burning the
foliage ... Good luck
Jeff

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:25:11 +0100, "Reka"
wrote:

Any clues on this one? I am still having problems blooming it. After
giving it enough sun that it got some sunburned spots (southern balcony with
shading in the noonday sun in the summer and a southern exposure skylight in
winter), giving it plenty of water (it's in a hydro net pot with medium fine
bark) and threatening it with the Cuisinart, it still does nothing but grow
tons of roots and an occasional new growth. Are these also heavy feeders?
That is the only thing I can think of. And too low humidity?

Anyone got a brilliant idea before I expose it to the freezing temperatures
outside???

C Portia coerulea 'Sir Jeremiah Coleman' V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 10:00 PM
C. Portia Cannizaro Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 16-10-2007 04:58 PM
Cattleya jenmanii - classic large-flowered Cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 07:55 PM
Repoting C. Portia TRAINMAN9 Orchids 3 22-11-2004 09:19 PM
C. Portia Reka Orchids 5 21-09-2004 04:18 PM