Old 17-12-2003, 12:32 PM
The Enigma

Default Best place to by orchids on the internet

I don't really under stand how a company can ship a fragile orchid in a box
but where's the best place to buy on the internet? I looking at the cheap
and healthy. I have a Phal, what orchids should I get next? I want one that
has a nice smell and looks pretty.

Thanks
Chris

Old 17-12-2003, 04:32 PM
K Barrett

There are no growers local to you? Other than Home Depot? Nice thing about
local growers is that the plants are already acclimated to your area. Plus
you can go back and ask advice in person.

Other than that, phals are so readily available that just about any garden
center will have some. Even Trader Joes. Of course these come with the
caveat that they've been beaten in transport and display at the store.

I'll leave others to supply the name of their fav internet dealer.

K Barrett

.com...

Old 17-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Ray

Most vendors don't ship blooming plants as it's a lot of work to protect
blossoms from damage. The plants themselves are not fragile at all, if you
know how to pack them.

Going to a local grower and asking about "what's good for my conditions" is
a good idea. What part of NC are you in? Let's see if I remember my
locations...

Lenette in Kannaoplis
Owens Orchids in Pisgah Forest (near Asheville)
Breckenridge in Browns Summit (near Greensboro)

As to what to get next, please read this before deciding:

http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm

.. . . . . . . . . . .
.com...

Old 18-12-2003, 01:27 AM
J Fortuna

Chris,

Based on your questions about watering, I assume that you have very recently
aquired the Phal. I would advise you to wait a while before acquiring other
plants. While I think that Ray's beginner's advice at
http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm is maybe a bit too conservative (if I
understand it correctly, it seems to suggest waiting a few years before
trying a different type of orchid), still I think that while a bit more
conservative than most of us are willing to actually adher to it is
basically sound advice.

Different orchid types will have different requirements than Phals, but once
you have learned from the experience of growing a Phal you would have a
better sense of how to adjust the culture to the other orchid species. For
example, if you find that the Phal's leaves grow too dark, and it won't
rebloom next year, then you would know that you definitely need to add a
grow lamp and that a different orchid species that requires even more light
would not have a chance otherwise.

However, as I said I think Ray's beginner's advice may be a bit too
conservative than most of us are willing to live with (considering how
addictive orchids are, waiting before buying more may not be an option :-) ,
and thus I would say, get more Phals -- my own experience has taught me that
it is not much more difficult to keep several Phals alive/thriving than to
keep one alive.

There are some fragrant Phals, so if you are looking for fragrence, you
might look for those.

I have had some mixed experience with mail ordering plants, and definitely
think that getting plants from local vendors is better if possible. If for
no other reason, then because you can actually get a plant in bloom and less
chance of bud blast. However, if after all this you are determined to mail
order, I would recommend Al's Greenhouse (www.orchidexchange.com) for
reasonable prices, good plants, good service, and a great source of advice.
There is another vendor I would recommend as well, but you said that you are
looking for cheap, so I won't.

Hope this helps,
Joanna

.com...

Old 18-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Ray

Joanna,

You're probably correct about be overly-conservative - I didn't even listen
to my own advice!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

,
[...]

.com...

Old 18-12-2003, 02:42 AM
J Fortuna

Just remembered one more thing. If you truely wish to mail order orchids
that you can't get locally, this site is really worthwhile for ratings of
vendors. http://www.proinnovation.com/ogres/

Best,
Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

.com...

Old 18-12-2003, 04:08 PM

If you are in NC like it shows in your header, here is a list of
companys in NC. Some may be within driving range for you.
http://www.kingswoodorchids.com/
http://www.lenetteorchids.com/
http://www.marriottorchids.com/
http://home.att.net/~mikes_orchids/index.htm
http://www.owensorchids.com/
http://www.raymondsgc.com/orchids.htm
http://seagroveorchids.com/
http://www.woodlandorchids.com/

Those are all in NC I have bought from woodland with very good
results.
I deal mostly in importing of flasks but,when I get a hankerin for a
full size plant or seedling...
Here are 3 From other states I have delt with and gotten very good
plants from in the past. Listed in order of my pref.
http://www.oakhillgardens.com/
http://www.clanorchids.com/
http://www.dihcro.com/

For more info then you can shake a spike at:
http://www.orchidmall.com/

Hope that helps a bit
MAKEITGROW!
NOOK

Old 18-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Myrmecodia

"Ray" wrote in message ...
Going to a local grower and asking about "what's good for my conditions" is
a good idea. What part of NC are you in? Let's see if I remember my
locations...

Lenette in Kannaoplis
Owens Orchids in Pisgah Forest (near Asheville)
Breckenridge in Browns Summit (near Greensboro)

Also:
Hanks Chapel Orchids (Pittsboro)
The Orchid Trail (Apex)
Seagrove Orchids (Seagrove)
Marriott Orchids (Kernersville)
Woodland Orchids (Charlotte)
Carolina Orchids (near Charlotte, just across the border in SC)

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com

Old 19-12-2003, 11:02 PM
The Enigma

I did a search for The Orchid Trail (Apex) on the internet with no luck.
Where is this in Apex?
(P.S. I live in Apex)
Thanks
Chris

"Myrmecodia" wrote in message
om...

Old 19-12-2003, 11:15 PM
J Fortuna

Chris,

Try using http://maps.yahoo.com/maps?t=b and type in Orchid Trail for
business and Apex, NC -- it provides a phone number, address, and map. No
Web site is listed, so I assume they may not have one.

Best,
Joanna

.com...

Old 20-12-2003, 03:42 AM
Myrmecodia

"The Enigma" wrote in message r.com...
I did a search for The Orchid Trail (Apex) on the internet with no luck.
Where is this in Apex?
(P.S. I live in Apex)
Thanks
Chris

1201 Davis Drive. The owner is John Stanton. I didn't recall his
phone number, but the Yahoo search suggested by Joanna gives 362-1062.

If you are in Apex, have you attended any meetings of the Triangle
Orchid Society? We have some great speakers lined up for 2004, and
they usually bring plants for sale. It's a good way to get plants
from remote nurseries without paying shipping fees.

See http://www.triangleorchidsociety.org

Regards,

Nick