Old 07-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Claude

Default My webpage!

Hello everyone!

I have setup a page where I can post my pictures of my phal.

www.picturetrail.com/phalguy

I know, the photos aren`t that good but acording to the camera I have, I
think It`s a good start.
Also, can you tell me if the color of the leaves look like they are
receiving enough light?

Thanks

Claude

Old 07-01-2004, 02:05 PM
J Fortuna

Claude,
I really like your collection. And the installation looks great. The leaf
color on the Phals looks healthy to me -- if more experienced growers don't
agree, then I will have to seriously redefine my understanding of what
healthy looking leaves are.
Best,
Joanna

. ..

Old 07-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Claude

Thank you Joanna!

Claude

Old 07-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Ted Byers

"Claude" wrote in message
. ..
Hello everyone!

I have setup a page where I can post my pictures of my phal.

www.picturetrail.com/phalguy

Nicely done. The plants look healthy.

I notice you are looking for P. tetraspis. I have one, but I am not about
to part with it yet. However, IIRC, I got it from Terry, so you might be
able to get it directly from Terry or from Paul (since the two are close
friends who do a lot of business with each other). In fact, they are the
guys to talk to, at least in Ontario and Quebec, about phal species, and
they have contacts and suppliers from all over.

You realize that, if you're having rouble with humidity, or if you just want
to raise it, you can do so easily with your setup. It looks like a fairly
standard shelving unit that I could pick up and Home Depot, with light
fixtures attached to the bottom of each shelf but the bottom one. If that
is correct, and you haven't doen so already, you can get clear strong
plastic at just about any hardware or building supply store like Home Depot
(I've seen it inHome Depot and haven't looked elsewhere - but I'd expect any
such store would have it). Just cut to fit and staple around all four
sides, leaving just one side (which probably ought to be the front) hanging
from the top so you have easy access to the plants. Then, place a little
fan in it to keep the air moving and put a large tray filled with water
under the bottom shelf. With the plastic in place (and I'm assuming it goes
right to the floor), the movement of water will be constrained to be
primarily within your installation and the "humidity tray" will be
humidifying only a very small volume rather than your whole dwelling.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 07-01-2004, 09:32 PM
K Barrett

"Ted Byers" wrote in message

"Claude" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I wonder if you could use those plastic zippered doors that contractors use
to keep dust from demolition from spreading to other parts of the house? To
allow easier access to the plants. The zipper5ed cosures I've seen have all
been clear plastic.

K Barrett

Old 07-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Claude

The shelving unit am using is from IKEA and they have the plastic cover with
zipper for the door!

I might do that!

Claude

Old 08-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Ted Byers

"K Barrett" wrote in message
> [...]
[snip]

I wonder if you could use those plastic zippered doors that contractors

use
to keep dust from demolition from spreading to other parts of the house?

allow easier access to the plants. The zippered cosures I've seen have all
been clear plastic.

That is a good idea.

I don't see why not. It seems I often find ways of using things for
purposes for which they weren't originally designed.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 08-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Ted Byers

"Claude" wrote in message
. ..
The shelving unit am using is from IKEA and they have the plastic cover

with
zipper for the door!

I might do that!

Now Claude, why did you have to say that? ;-) Now I am going to have to
find an IKEA outlet near here, and try to find the same shelving unit and
accessories! ;-) Yet another way to spend my money! ;-)

Cheers,

Ted

Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Ray

Great idea!

And you're right, Ted. Trying to create the right conditions is always a
challenge of adapting stuff from alternate uses - unless of course you've
got cash to burn...

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 08-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Claude

Hello Ted!

The name of the shelving unit is GORM.
You can customize the unit the way you want.
The plastic cover is 55 X 165 cm and only : $ 9.99

Basic shelving unit:

77 X 51 X 174 cm = $25.00
77 X 31 X 174 cm = $39.00

and you can buy pieces. Just go to www.IKEA.ca and search for GORM. They
also deliver.

Bye

Claude

Old 08-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Ted Byers

"Claude" wrote in message
Hello Ted!

The name of the shelving unit is GORM.
You can customize the unit the way you want.
The plastic cover is 55 X 165 cm and only : $ 9.99

Basic shelving unit:

77 X 51 X 174 cm = $25.00
77 X 31 X 174 cm = $39.00

Claude, you should have given me these dimensions when you asked me about
light.

Since you won't be able to accomodate four foot tubes, I'd suggest you go
for the high efficency florescent bulbs that are intended to provide an
efficent replacement for incandescent bulbs, along with an incandescent bulb
for eery two or three florescent bulbs. I could be wrong, but I don't think
the two foot florescent bulbs are very helpful because of the attenuation
from each of the ends. If you do opt for florescent only, then you'll need
a mix of half warm white and half cool white bulbs. I wouldn't bother with
the florescent bulbs that claim to be designed for plant growth, unless
there is good evidence that they provide an appropriate spectrum and unless
they are on sale at a price that is competitive with that for the warm white
and cool white bulbs.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 08-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Rob Halgren

Ted Byers wrote:

"Claude" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

In my experience, cool white bulbs are sufficient in themselves,
although they can be a little unpleasant to look at. I never bothered
with warm bulbs. One option might be the 'U' shaped fluorescent tubes,
although I suspect they are more expensive I'm pretty sure they would be
more efficient than twice as many shorter tubes. I find it interesting
that you suggest the compact fluorescents. I use a lot of them for
general purpose lighting, so I don't know why I've never considered it
for orchids...

Has anybody tried compact fluorescents for orchid growth? It is
quite an interesting idea. The cost has come down substantially (over
50%) in the last couple years, so it is starting to be competitive in
terms of price. Still substantially more expensive than the equivalent
area of 4' tubes, I suspect. The cheap compacts are advertised as
having a life of 5 years, whatever that actually means. I can get the
equivalent of a 60W incandescent (I think that is 13W fluorescent?) for
about $3.50 on sale (which is the only way I buy them). Spend a little
more and get 7 years. It could be that these would need replacing less
often than 4' tubes (which I replaced every year or so). The energy
savings over incandescent bulbs would be substantial over the life of
the project. You would also generate less heat, important for confined
spaces.

Fascinating idea...

Rob

2a. See rule 1