Old 18-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Peggy Elliott

Default Newbie

I love orchids but have never owned one. Which one, in your opinion, is the
best one(s) to start with and whats a good place to get them?

Old 18-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Peggy,

How smart of you to ask before you jump in! Lots of folks here will answer
your questions, but first it would help to know where you will grow your
orchids, and what conditions you have. I.e., inside or outside;
temperature range; how much sun; humidity; and anything else you can tell
us. There are many options in the orchid family, and the conditions you
offer will be a big determinate in deciding which plants will do the best
for you.

Welcome!

Diana

Old 19-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Bobby Baxter

There are just too many fantastic orchids to choose from.

My favorites are the slipper orchids. Here is a link to an excellent
article about selecting and growing your first Paphiopedilum orchid.

Selecting a source to purchase from leaves you with many excellent choices
as well. There is an Orchid Source Directory on the American Orchid Society
web site (http://orchidweb.org) that is very useful. Of course, the company
that wrote the article I referenced appears to be a wonderful operation.
Next week I will be producing my first orchid video when I film Maryott's
Orchids (http://www.marriottorchids.com/) in North Carolina. Maryott's
specializes in the Paphipedilums and I feel very comfortable purchasing from
them as well. It would be impossible to list all the reliable sources of
orchids.

http://ladyslipper.com/1stpaph.htm

If you have not done so yet, join the American Orchid Society. It will
change your life.

Bobby Baxter
Happy Moose Gardens
http://happymoosegardens.com

Old 19-03-2004, 12:30 AM
J Fortuna

Peggy,
The best orchid to start with depends on which conditions you can provide
the orchid plant. Which direction do the windows in your home face? Would
you describe your home as rather dry or rather humid? What is the lowest
night time temperature that your home gets in the winter time? What is the
hottest that it gets on summer days?

The book "Orchid Growing for Wimps" by Ellen Zachos is one way to find out
about some of the most popular orchid species and their conditions. Another
good place to start is AOS culture sheets at
http://orchidweb.org/culture.html

I grow mostly Phalaenopsis orchids, and I along with many others consider
them to be easy low maintenance plants. However, even Phals are not best
beginning plants for everyone (for example if you have only a South facing
window). Here is the AOS culture sheet for Phals
http://www.orchidweb.org/orchids/cul...nner/phals.pdf .

If after reading this, you think you can provide these conditions, Phals are
now available in many grocery stores (including Trader Joe's or Fresh
Fields) in most major cities in the US.

From your email address I take it that you like me live in Virginia. One
very good place to buy orchids in Virginia is Al's Greenhouse in Leesburg
(go to the Web site http://www.orchidexchange.com ). One of the advantages
to driving over to Al's is that you would see a wider selection of plants
than at your local stores. Al is also quite friendly and knowledgeable, and
gives great advice.

I think it is important to buy one's first plant locally in person, not
through mail order shipping -- especially since most places don't ship
plants in bloom and there is a risk of bud blast (loosing the buds) due to
the stress of shipping. Get a plant that is either in bloom (to see what it
looks like when you buy it) or at least in spike or bud (if you are willing
to be surprised about the actual look of the flower).

I hope this helps.
Best,
Joanna

Old 19-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Bobby Baxter

http://ladyslipper.com/1stpaph.htm

oooops, I put the link to the article in the wrong place. Here it is.

Bobby

Old 19-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Bobby Baxter

Old 19-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Bobby Baxter

Old 19-03-2004, 02:32 AM
PhalGuy

Hello Peggy!

Welcome to the most wonderful addiction : orchid! Be aware!

I started my collection with a Phalaneopsis that I rescued from one of my
friend!
I went to my local library and read almost all books they had on orchids and
I started to do research on internet and I discovered this wonderful
newsgroup.

The best place to get orchids depend. I`m pretty sure there is an orchid
association in your area. Join them and you will have lots of contact!

Again, welcome and don`t be shy to ask questions!

Claude

Old 19-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Ted Byers

Peggy,

I see you have an academic email address. There should therfore be a wealth
of useful books in your library. There may also be someone in the botany
department who might be able to help you. If one of the faculty doesn't do
much with orchids, maybe, if your botany department has greenhouses, perhaps
the staff who run them may know something about orchids or at least a local
source of information.

And the first thing you ought to do is locate a local orchid society.
Failing that, a horticultural society may have someone who could be helpful.
What you really want is someone who lives in the same area as you who has
successfully grown orchids for years. THAT person will be your best source
of information because he or she will have intimate first hand knowledge of
what conditions you're trying to grow your plants in as well as what orchid
genera tend to do best in your region.

I won't mention orchid vendours because others have already done so, and
those already mentioned will be excellent sources of information. Be sure
to visit them and pick their brains. :-) They certainly will be able to
advise on local orchid societies within an easy commute. (In southern
Ontario, for example, there is one close enough for me to be able to
regularly visit, but another four that are close enough that I would spend,
and have spent, the extra hour or two to attend their annual shows.

And as you have access to the internet, make use of it. As an example, I am
in the process of trying for a contract to teach in norhern India for a
semester or two. I have never been to that part of India, but already I
have learned that there is an orchid society that meets in the city where
I'd be located, and someone at the university in that city who studies
orchids. Assuming I get the position, I'll have it made as within a few
days to a week of arriving, I'll be able to plug into the local orchid
society there. And I learned all this by exploiting the full power of the
web.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 19-03-2004, 04:12 AM
mg

Starting out, the best plants are the least expensive ones. It hurts
less when you kill 'em. Get them already in bloom and don't expect to
see them in bloom again for a long, long time. And by the way, don't
even think about just one.

Peggy Elliott wrote:
I love orchids but have never owned one. Which one, in your opinion, is the
best one(s) to start with and whats a good place to get them?

NEWBIE HELP: How to seed? Nick Thudick Gardening 6 01-04-2003 08:44 PM
Newbie Noela Orchids 1 31-03-2003 06:20 AM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM