Old 30-03-2004, 04:22 AM
Rosa Palmén

Default phal hybrid limp and unhappy

I got a phalaenopsis hybrid (dunno what), that was blooming, but after a
while one of the leaves started going a bit limp and wrinkled. From the old
flower stem it shot out a new stem with new buds, but then the next two
leaves started getting wrinkled too.
I thought I might have given the plant too much water, and decided to
replant it in a pot with a less dense compost. When I replanted the Phal. I
noticed it had very few roots left. I decided to cut off the flower stem
with the new buds, hoping the plant would use it's energy on growing new
roots instead of flowering.

It has now been a few weeks and I haven't seen any change, how long will it
take before I know if my phal is going to get better or worse?

Old 30-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Ray

Rosa,

You have done the right things, so far. My only suggestion is that the
plant will need to be in a VERY humid environment to prevent and even
reverse, to some extent, the ongoing desiccation.

One way to do that is to place the plant - pot and all - in a clear plastic
bag and seal it up. That will prevent the medium from totally drying out
and will be like a mini-greenhouse to keep the relative humidity maximized.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 30-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Rosa Palmén

"Ray" wrote in message
Rosa,

You have done the right things, so far. My only suggestion is that the
plant will need to be in a VERY humid environment to prevent and even
reverse, to some extent, the ongoing desiccation.

One way to do that is to place the plant - pot and all - in a clear

plastic
bag and seal it up. That will prevent the medium from totally drying out
and will be like a mini-greenhouse to keep the relative humidity

maximized.

Thanks!

I have now repotted the plant, removed the compost that contained fibres and
bark, I thought it might get moldy if kept constantly humid. The Phal. is
now in a plastic bag filled with moss and the kind of pebbles used in
semihydro instead.
Hopefully I will get it to live and later bloom again, it had such beautiful
big flowers.

BTW, how many leaves does a normal phal hybrid have before it starts to
flower?
Rosa

Old 30-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Peter Aitken

"Rosa Palmén" wrote in message
I got a phalaenopsis hybrid (dunno what), that was blooming, but after a
while one of the leaves started going a bit limp and wrinkled. From the

old
flower stem it shot out a new stem with new buds, but then the next two
leaves started getting wrinkled too.
I thought I might have given the plant too much water, and decided to
replant it in a pot with a less dense compost. When I replanted the Phal.

noticed it had very few roots left. I decided to cut off the flower stem
with the new buds, hoping the plant would use it's energy on growing new
roots instead of flowering.

It has now been a few weeks and I haven't seen any change, how long will

it
take before I know if my phal is going to get better or worse?

I had similar symptoms with a phal. I think that I was paying to much
attention to the "don't overwater" warning and was, in fact, underwatering.
I have been watering more often (about every 5 days rather than every 8-9
days) and it is looking better. Too soon to tell if it is really cured, tho.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 30-03-2004, 07:42 PM
kenty ;-\)

I also had the same problem with a phal I repotted as there weren't many
roots left and the plant was constantly limp for weeks.I put it in a shadier
place and kept the compost moist,its leaves perked up quite quickly.I was
underwatering it and giving it to much light.It is now showing signs of root
growth.

--
Thanks Keith,UK.

Old 31-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Tom Randy

"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
s.com:

I also had the same problem with a phal I repotted as there weren't
many roots left and the plant was constantly limp for weeks.I put it
in a shadier place and kept the compost moist,its leaves perked up
quite quickly.I was underwatering it and giving it to much light.It is
now showing signs of root growth.

I discovered 2 weeks ago I wan't watering MINE enough either. I was
doing it once a week but saw little root growth. Switched to every 2-3
days and now I have LOTS of new green roots making their way around the
pot. Clear pots are great!

Tom

Old 31-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Rosa Palmén

"Tom Randy" wrote in message
. ..
"kenty ;-\)" wrote in
s.com:

I also had the same problem with a phal I repotted as there weren't
many roots left and the plant was constantly limp for weeks.I put it
in a shadier place and kept the compost moist,its leaves perked up
quite quickly.I was underwatering it and giving it to much light.It is
now showing signs of root growth.

I discovered 2 weeks ago I wan't watering MINE enough either. I was
doing it once a week but saw little root growth. Switched to every 2-3
days and now I have LOTS of new green roots making their way around the
pot. Clear pots are great!

Tom

How do you keep the pot clean and clear? My algea grows better than the
orchids...

Old 31-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Rosa Palmén

"Tom Randy" wrote in message