Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
John DeGood

Default disposable orchids

I received a nice phalaenopsis from my family today for my birthday.
The attached tag (from KB aka Klassic Beauties aka Kerry's Bromeliad
Nursery) contained accurate culture information, and it even referenced
the AOS website "for advanced growing information."

But the back of the tag disturbed me. It featured a tombstone icon
marked with an orchid flower and the letters "RIP", followed by this
caption:

"Plants can be discarded when no longer
flowering. It's okay. We'll grow more!"

Imagine the outcry if a pet store sold their product with similar labeling:

"Cats can be discarded when no longer
kittens. It's okay. We'll grow more!"

I'm indignant!

John (opposed to orchid euthanasia)
Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Ray

Time to write to Kerries...

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM
RPM1

"John DeGood"
"Plants can be discarded when no longer
flowering. It's okay. We'll grow more!"

Nooooooooooooo! Send them to ME! I love
rejects.

I have a bunch of plants which I literally fished out
of the trash. They're all coming along just fine. They
just need what they need and they need and time to
figure out that they can live.

I actually have a Trash Rescue Mystery Orchid
(TRMO) in bloom now. Would love to get RGOs
opinions on it but my server won't let me post a
jpg to the binary ng. :-\

Ruth CM

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Stephen

John penned the following:

". It featured a tombstone icon
marked with an orchid flower and the letters "RIP", followed by this
caption:

"Plants can be discarded when no longer
flowering. It's okay. We'll grow more!"
I'm indignant!

Sparty penned this reply:

Me Too, aren't 'Depends' good enough for them???

Spartacus

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
J Fortuna

Ruth,
Do you have access to a Web site where you could post the jpg of your
mystery orchid,
and then send rgo a link to this Web page?
Joanna

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
RPM1

"J Fortuna"
Ruth,
Do you have access to a Web site where you could post the jpg of your
mystery orchid,
and then send rgo a link to this Web page?
Joanna

Ideally that's what I'd like to do but my server says
no way. I could try it when I go to work Thursday.

Ruth CM

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
solo_voyager

From my point of view, most of the orchids that are mass produced and
supplied to HD, Lowes and other similar type outlets including many
standard orchid outlets, are meant to be "throw away" plants. My
experience with this type of orchid plant is that generally they have
been pushed so hard to make them flower so "prettily" that they're
exhausted. It can take 2 or more years to bring them back into
reasonable health to get them to bloom again. Healthy seedlings would
be a better buy.
S V

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Matthew Donadio

"RPM1" wrote in message
I have a bunch of plants which I literally fished out
of the trash. They're all coming along just fine. They
just need what they need and they need and time to
figure out that they can live.

I used to buy cheap plants coming off bloom from large stores (HD, Lowes,
etc). However, one turned out to be a critter factory and my collection got
decimated...

--Matt

Old 06-04-2004, 09:18 PM
RPM1

"Matthew Donadio"
I used to buy cheap plants coming off bloom from large stores (HD, Lowes,
etc). However, one turned out to be a critter factory and my collection

got
decimated...

OMG I never even thought about critters!

Just yesterday my husband asked if I was going to
put the orchids outside for the summer. I told him
I wouldn't want my plants to come into contact with
bugs and icky things. Funny, I thought of that but not
about bringing bugs home from the reject bin. So far
so good but I bet my number is going to come up soon.

Maybe I should stop while I'm ahead. :-\

Ruth CM

Disposable Overall for sale Pointer United Kingdom 13 18-11-2004 09:39 AM
disposable orchids John DeGood Orchids 1 06-04-2004 09:17 PM
Make a disposable Slug trap :what bait? Joseph Chong Gardening 16 08-02-2004 05:32 PM
Make a disposable Slug trap Phisherman Gardening 5 30-01-2004 01:02 PM
growing orchids outside = burned orchids? Lil Orchids 5 18-07-2003 04:52 PM