Old 22-04-2004, 02:09 AM
John Mallery

Default Orlando Area Orchid Growers

My children have decided I'm the worst Father ever because they are the only
children in their school that have never been to Disney World. So sometime
this summer we are heading to Orlando - and as much as I enjoy Disney World,
I was hoping to visit some Orchid Growers and Orchid Related attractions
during the trip. Does anyone have any "must see's" in the Orlando area
(within a 30 to 45 mile drive)? Thank you for your help/assistance.

--
John Mallery
Husband, Father, Juggler, Comedian and Gardener

Old 22-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

I agree.

One place to avoid is A World of Orchids

.. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 22-04-2004, 01:04 PM
John Mallery

Thanks for the Info.

John

"Ray" wrote in message
I agree.

One place to avoid is A World of Orchids

. . . . . . . . . . .
. ..

Old 22-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Rob Halgren

John Mallery wrote:

My children have decided I'm the worst Father ever because they are the only
children in their school that have never been to Disney World. So sometime
this summer we are heading to Orlando - and as much as I enjoy Disney World,
I was hoping to visit some Orchid Growers and Orchid Related attractions
during the trip. Does anyone have any "must see's" in the Orlando area
(within a 30 to 45 mile drive)? Thank you for your help/assistance.

Go on, go out to Miami or Delray Beach... It is only a couple
hours. Maybe 3 or 4, I was young and stupid when I tried it. I did
that when I was in Orlando, but I didn't have kids or a spouse to lug
around back then. I did like Krull-Smith, and it is reasonably close to
Orlando, never tried the 'World of Orchids' place. The best part about
Orlando is the number of toll booths between the airport and Disney.
They really know how to best extract money from tourists in Orlando...

Try to bring your orchids home as carry on luggage, and get the
flight crew to put them in one of the lockers or bins up near the front
of the plane. They look at you funny, but it is far better than
trying to stuff plants into the overheads. Another option (and a good
one if you buy more than a few plants) is to have the grower box them up
and ship them to you. Then you can buy as many as you want, and it is a
lot easier to lug them through the airport.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 22-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Bobby Baxter

If you do go to Krull-Smith that you will see some beautiful daylilies too.
Frank just emailed me two new seedling pictures that bloomed yesterday. I
put them on his web site last night. He called today and says I would not
believe what he had bloom today.

His daylily web site is http://franksmithdaylilies.com

His orchids are also looking good right now.

Enjoy,

Bobby Baxter
Orchid Videos From Happy Moose
http://happymoosegardens.com

Old 22-04-2004, 10:03 PM
GrlIntrpted

"Ray" wrote in message

One place to avoid is A World of Orchids

May I ask why?

-M

Old 22-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Ray

It's a big, potentially beautiful place that ought to have lots of great orchids, but it doesn't.
It was a HUGE disappointment when I visited a few years ago.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
. net...

Old 23-04-2004, 02:05 AM
John Mallery

thanks for all the tips and comments. I have brought orchids home with me on
the plane before - I now prefer having them shipped. Much easier and you
tend to buy more that way...

We will probably get outside of the Disney area for part of the trip. I used
to live in Tampa and I worked for an improvisational theatre company based
in Orlando (Epcot). I really would like my son to see some native orchids,
so we would probably have to head south for that...

I will post a report regarding the orchid related part of the trip when we
return.

John

Old 23-04-2004, 07:04 AM
Reka

For example from the Google archive of rgo:
http://tinyurl.com/385w9
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

"GrlIntrpted" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. net...

"Ray" wrote in message

One place to avoid is A World of Orchids

May I ask why?

-M

---

Old 23-04-2004, 09:04 PM
GrlIntrpted

I'm surprised to be quite frank. In fact, I posted photos from our last
trip to Orlando of the World of Orchids on abpo. It had a very good amount
of orchid books. Two mature bulbo phalaenopsis for sale (both in large
baskets). A very nice assortment of the novelty phals (and very decently
priced). I got to see their flask room while people were working inside it.
They had a small assortment of Paph hybrids, and a very good amount of the
Laelia Cattleya hybrids. Terrific price on wooden baskets (literally
pennies), and other necessary orchid supplies.

The "nature" area in the back had an enormous amount of phals mounted on
trees and in full bloom. A smaller amount of dendrobs also mounted on trees,
Epidendrums high up in the trees, jewel orchids, and other orchids like
Phaius, and bulbos all over that area. I purchased a Phal Be Tris in full
bloom for $6.00 from them. Not the most amazing or fascintating place that
I've ever seen, and I certainly visited many others to which World of
Orchids can not compare, but overall I couldn't call it a waste of time.

Mariana

Old 24-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Ray

Maybe it has improved.

It certainly had lots of room for improvement, and needed it badly!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 25-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Steve

Reka wrote:

For example from the Google archive of rgo:

http://tinyurl.com/385w9

I was tempted to make a comment about this but Reka has saved me
some typing time. :-)
What I said back then is probably still true except, hopefully, the
part about the road construction.

Steve

Old 25-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Steve

GrlIntrpted wrote:

I'm surprised to be quite frank. ..................
...... I got to see their flask room while people were working inside it.

The "nature" area in the back had an enormous amount of phals mounted on
trees and in full bloom. A smaller amount of dendrobs also mounted on trees,
Epidendrums high up in the trees,..................
Mariana

Well, that is a huge improvement from what was there when I went a
few years ago. (I'm hoping you went after I did and not years before.)
I could peek through some cracks and see orchid plants in a
greenhouse but it was off limits. We did the nature walk. There were
a few orchids attached to the trees but they were all dried up and
some were obviously dead.

Steve

Old 26-04-2004, 03:02 PM
John Mallery

Thank you for the invitation. If our trip takes us that direction we will
definitely stop by.

John

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
news
These are both good. World of Orchids varies -- I've been there when it
was
great, other times it wasn't even worth getting off the Turnpike, much

less
the admission fee.

If you do head south to Delray or Miami, you'll pass within minutes of our
place, hope you'll stop by.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Dada" wrote in message
. ..
Krull Smith out in Apopka and Tropic 1 in Kissimmee.....

"John Mallery" wrote in message
My children have decided I'm the worst Father ever because they are

the
only
children in their school that have never been to Disney World. So

sometime
this summer we are heading to Orlando - and as much as I enjoy Disney

World,
I was hoping to visit some Orchid Growers and Orchid Related

attractions
during the trip. Does anyone have any "must see's" in the Orlando area
(within a 30 to 45 mile drive)? Thank you for your help/assistance.

--
John Mallery
Husband, Father, Juggler, Comedian and Gardener
www.tallbaldandcrazy.com

[IBC] Bonsai Nursey - Orlando area Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 07-12-2004 03:31 PM
koi dealers near orlando Gunnar Ponds 5 21-02-2004 04:34 AM
Where to rent a chipper/shredder in Orlando? [email protected] Gardening 0 15-01-2004 07:44 PM
Orlando Growers doug houseman Orchids 1 23-11-2003 07:19 PM
Orchid Show--Florida Mall Orlando William Hill Orchids 1 16-04-2003 11:20 PM