Old 18-05-2004, 04:11 AM
J Fortuna

Default server trouble :-(

When I came home, I saw several new messages on rgo, and two of these
messages, when I clicked on them led to the message "this message is no
longer available on the server", and these were definitely new messages!
Could there have been other messages that did not even make it that far?
Maybe I am missing several fascinating new threads. :-( Grrr! Diana, I can
understand your frustration better now, and I wish I didn't.

Joanna

Old 18-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

That's a function of your ISP's message retention methodology. Some keep a message for "X" days,
and some until that newsgroup has accumulated "Y" megabytes of total, at which point the oldest go
away from their server.

That's one of the reasons some of us gripe about people posting excessively large images on ABPO, as
for some participants, it drastically shortens the time all of the images will be available on their
ISP's servers.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 18-05-2004, 01:05 PM
J Fortuna

Ray,
Actually no, what happened yesterday was definitely not a normal function of
the ISP. As you point out, in a correctly functioning ISP, when the maximum
is reached or when a certain amount of time has passed "the oldest go away
from their server", but what happened to me yesterday was that the newest
messages disappeared. One of the messages that disappeared was a message by
molli in response to Diana's "Redland Loot". I can actually see it now in
the archive at groups.google.com
(http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...n-iQ%404dv.net
posted yesterday at 18:45), and the other message that has disappeared from
my ISP's server is the fertilizing questions post
(http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...speer2.tds.net posted
yesterday at 19:09) that you, Ray, responded to this morning. My ISP has
your response, but they do not have the post with the question any more. The
two posts disappeared within 4 hours after being posted. That is definitely
not normal ISP behavior! Or shouldn't be anyway.
Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
That's a function of your ISP's message retention methodology. Some keep

a message for "X" days,
and some until that newsgroup has accumulated "Y" megabytes of total, at

which point the oldest go
away from their server.

That's one of the reasons some of us gripe about people posting

excessively large images on ABPO, as
for some participants, it drastically shortens the time all of the images

will be available on their
ISP's servers.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 19-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Ray

You're right! That sure ain't normal.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 19-05-2004, 04:06 AM
J Fortuna

Actually, I just found out that this was not server trouble nor ISP fault at
all, but a client side problem caused by Outlook Express (I will need to get
a better news reader soon). My ISP (Verizon) was very helpful in
establishing the cause of this problem, and pointing out to me how to
correct this in Outlook Express.

Joanna

Old 19-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Ray

OK, you want to share the problem and correction?

I've been using OE exclusively for a few years, and have yet to experience any of the problems folks
have associated with it, but then again, maybe I just don't know what I'm missing!

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 19-05-2004, 01:04 PM
J Fortuna

Ray,
Apparently if you ever suspect that there may be messages on the server that
you are not getting, in Outlook Express you can

-- go to the Tools menu Options Maintenance
-- press the "Clean Up Now" button
-- using the "Browse" button next to Local Files for, select the newsgroup
that you would like to refresh
-- then use the "Reset" button to delete all local versions of the messages
from you machine for this newsgroup and clean its memory of already having
downloaded these messages
-- it will ask you if you are sure
-- if you agree, it will delete the local copies, and then you can
synchronize all messages from the server again, and you should get all
messages that are on the server
-- Right click the newsgroup and use "Catch Up" to mark all messages as read
(if you like), otherwise all will be unread at this point

In my case the two messages for which I was getting the error that they are
no longer on the server were among those that got downloaded.

One possibility that has occurred to me of what may have happened:
-- When the headers of these two messages were first downloaded obviously
these two messages had to be on the server
-- When I got the error message that the message is no longer on the server,
maybe the messages were not on the server at that time or maybe there was an
error in communication between the client and the server ... Anyway at that
time the full messages could not be downloaded, however since the headers
had already been downloaded earlier, Outlook from then on kept track of
these messages as ones that should not be synchronized any more.
-- However, Resetting the client revealed that these two messages were on
the server later on (or maybe they had been there all along but
client-server communication was not working, or something like that.

That's what I think happened. But I may be wrong.

Joanna

Old 19-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Diana Kulaga

Can I get in on this thread? I didn't get the original header here (I've
been able to read it now, though), and it happens with enough regularity
lately that it's become a real nuisance. Refreshing doesn't seem to work.
At least now I know it's probably not Earthlink, since others are having
problems.

Diana

.. .

the archive at groups.google.com

"Ray" wrote in message
That's a function of your ISP's message retention methodology.

Some
keep
a message for "X" days,
and some until that newsgroup has accumulated "Y" megabytes of

total,
at
which point the oldest go
away from their server.

That's one of the reasons some of us gripe about people posting
excessively large images on ABPO, as
for some participants, it drastically shortens the time all of

the
images
will be available on their
ISP's servers.

. . . . . . . . . .

..
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
When I came home, I saw several new messages on rgo, and two

of
these
messages, when I clicked on them led to the message "this

message is
no
longer available on the server", and these were definitely new
messages!
Could there have been other messages that did not even make it

that
far?
Maybe I am missing several fascinating new threads. :-( Grrr!

Diana,
can
understand your frustration better now, and I wish I didn't.

Joanna

Trouble ID'ing lawn trouble GaryM Gardening 0 24-05-2004 10:05 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 06:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:55 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM
OT - Newsgroup server problems zookeeper Ponds 14 18-09-2003 02:12 AM