Old 16-09-2003, 06:33 AM
zookeeper

Default OT - Newsgroup server problems

Well, I'm soooo frustrated. After weeks of only one or two messages a
day, and many missing messages in threads, I discovered our local
newsgroup server seems to be hiccuping, or in the past few days, not
even breathing. Out of 661 threads posted recently, I've received only
about ~240 messages. The only way to read a thread completely is to read
it somewhere on line, which takes up too much of my time and ties up my
phone for too long. If I had any extra money, I'd get DSL installed now
and maybe even choose a different ISP.

Sorry for the vent -- hope all your ponds are well and thriving. We've
had a few days of rain and a 20* drop in temperatures, then a few days
of sunshine and a 15* rise in temperatures, so the koi don't know what's
up or down. But they're still begging for food -- one even sits at the
surface with his mouth open and sucking until I toss something in it,
whether it's koi food, an earthworm or a piece of pond plant. Too funny!

There, now I feel a little better, posting about my pond.
--
zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 16-09-2003, 01:22 PM
xyz

zookeeper wrote:
[...]

ZK

There are plenty of free access news servers out there.

I am posting this test from one now. freenews.netfront.net

News Servers Posting Total Groups Total
Articles New Groups New Articles
freenews.netfront.net Y 48625 5130056
7 469562

From the list at this link
http://www.free-newsservers.com/free_list1.asp The above server has the
most groups for a server that allows posting, It does not seam to have
the best retention rate for rec. ponds (only 388 messages when I tested
it out today)

You could try my ISPs server (reader2.news.rcn.net) it MAY be READ
ONLY when logged on as a guest. I'm Not sure.

Username: guest
P/W : guest

Chagoi

Old 16-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Steve J. Noll

You're not alone - I'm on my 5th ISP. The first four were all locals,
and were all disasters. Now on Earthlink, no serious complaints.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700, zookeeper
wrote:

[...]

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California
Old 16-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Dan D.

zookeeper wrote in message ...
phone for too long. If I had any extra money, I'd get DSL installed now
and maybe even choose a different ISP.

http://www.access4less.net
6 bucks a month unlimited minutes. No kidding.
I've been with them several months with no problems at all.
Hope they have a phone number in your area!

Good luck!
Peace!!
Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA
Old 16-09-2003, 09:22 PM
mad

i solved the problem by getting a second phone line. i ordered it so that it
would only work on local cals--NO LONG-DISTANCE--and that costs about half
of what the local and long-distance phone line costs.

i have another friend who uses his cell phone as his primary phone line and
his landline is only for his computer, again, local calls only. i would do
this myself, but i live in a valley surrounded by mountains. the cell signal
can't get out. so...
mad
--
Beauty fades; dumb is forever.
Murray Blum, Judge Judy's dad

From: zookeeper
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700
Subject: OT - Newsgroup server problems

Old 16-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Nedra

Long Live Murray Blum!! LOLOLOL
mad, you are the greatest for finding
these jewels of sigs.

Nedra

From: zookeeper
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700

Old 16-09-2003, 11:02 PM
mad

i'm glad you like it. its one of my faves...
how are your grandsons?
mad
--
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
George Carlin

From: zookeeper
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700

Old 16-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Nedra

Thanks for asking about the boys ... Nathan is still somewhere north of
Baghdad... 101st Airborne so you know he's busy.
Mike is still on the Vinson ... still
wearing the purple shirt. I'm so PROUD of these boys!

Nedra

From: zookeeper
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700

Old 17-09-2003, 12:24 AM
mad

i know you are! i am too, and i've never even met them! :-D
mad
--
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us some E-mail...

From: zookeeper
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700

Old 17-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Nedra

I finally told Mom about them being wounded. She took it better
than I have! That is why she has made it to 100 !!!
today - 9/16/1903 is her date of birth.
Holy Moly ... Whatta Lady.

Nedra

From: zookeeper
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700

Old 17-09-2003, 01:12 AM
mad

my dad would have been 100 in november. your mother's life has been lived
around the whole history of flight. i can't EVEN fathom it.
mad
--
"...think of life as a terminal illness because if you do,
you will live it with joy and passion as it ought to be lived."

From: zookeeper
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:14:49 -0700

From: "Nedra"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:44:51 GMT

"mad" wrote in message
i solved the problem by getting a second phone line. i ordered it so
that
it
would only work on local cals--NO LONG-DISTANCE--and that costs about
half
of what the local and long-distance phone line costs.

i have another friend who uses his cell phone as his primary phone

line
and
his landline is only for his computer, again, local calls only. i

would[color=green][color=darkred]
Old 18-09-2003, 01:32 AM
dkat

Thank you for this post. My news server (optonline) has been driving me
nuts. I sometimes cannot even get posts from the previous day. This is
exactly what I needed.

DKat

"xyz" wrote in message ...
ZK

There are plenty of free access news servers out there.

I am posting this test from one now. freenews.netfront.net

News Servers Posting Total Groups Total
Articles New Groups New Articles
freenews.netfront.net Y 48625 5130056
7 469562

From the list at this link

Old 18-09-2003, 02:02 AM
dkat

sorry for the double post... I'm still working the bugs out. My optonline
server has 189 messages while the new one has 3191... problem is that I
can't get the good one to post....
DK
et...

"xyz" wrote in message ...
ZK

There are plenty of free access news servers out there.

I am posting this test from one now. freenews.netfront.net

News Servers Posting Total Groups Total
Articles New Groups New Articles
freenews.netfront.net Y 48625 5130056
7 469562

From the list at this link

Old 18-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Chagoi

Your Welcome

I've used; freenews.netfront.net several times when RCNs server was down
to read newgroups
but I never posted through it until now.

Chagoi

"xyz" wrote in message ...

ZK

There are plenty of free access news servers out there.

I am posting this test from one now. freenews.netfront.net

SNIP

server problems ? Tiziano Bonsai 0 04-11-2005 07:03 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 06:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM
just having some minor problems with visuals on newsgroup Madgardener Gardening 0 01-11-2003 04:12 PM
spam through newsgroup server keith Orchids 0 22-09-2003 06:32 PM