Old 29-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Sinister

Default Plans for a Dracula

I have found a suitable Vendor, thanks to the help of all of you.

This is what I plan...If it is impossible it would be very kind of you to
let me know.

I plan to grow these Draculas without a greenhouse, I plan to grow them in
my very own bedroom. There is air cirrculation, there is just the right
amount of light, it is very humid (I.E. 80% and ^up) The most the
temperatures can ever vary is from 65-82 F. I'll hang it from my ceiling in
a wire mesh basket filled Sphagnum

I saw a picture of a Vampira and fell in love. I'll do anything it takes to
raise one properly.

If this is naive or just plain stupid please inform me as this is my first
attempt. Note that my mission is to grow a Vampira anything less or
different will not work, If my ways are in error please correct me.

Thanx to all of you from a wet-eared, green-thumbed, fool that loves
Pleurothallids.

-Sinister

Old 29-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Bolero

It wouldn't hurt for the temps to get cooler than 65F, mine grow below 40F
and seem to do fine.

I think your overall setup sounds good though, it can't hurt to give it a
try and if it fails then you know you need to change something.

I usually just go and buy one and if my plan doesn't work then I'll try
something different next time. No one can guarantee you success but it
sounds like you are on the right track.

nk.net...

Old 30-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Aaron Hicks

Glad you found your drac. I was going to suggest the ol' Google
trick:

"Dracula vampira" + price

Always comes up with a few hits, some of which are invariably from
dealers. (Hint to dealers out the Put the word "price" on your pages!)

Dracs may be difficult or even impossible to grow, depending upon
your location and your cultural conditions. High humidity is considered
very important for success, many growers noting that the "typical" 60-80%
for orchids is a bit low for these guys. Although very high levels of
humidity aren't necessarily critical, it lends well to good culture. Ditto
with the usuals that come with that high humidity- good quality water (low
TDS), and high air circulation. Most dracs (don't know about D. vampira)
won't take high temperatures, and require a good temperature split between
day and night.

These cultural conditions (low temperature- usually below 80F
during the day- in particular) are difficult to achieve without expensive
environmental controls in most areas. If you're really nutso about these
guys and don't have the right greenhouse conditions, an orchidarium or
do-it-yourself environmental chamber is required. Similarly, if you can't
keep them below 80F with the lights on, you'll require chilling. This
ranges from the do-it-yourself dorm refrigerator cooling loop to
expensive chillers for sal****er aquaria. Similar rigs can be produced
using retired refrigerators (such as those used for keeping Disa roots
cool in "casket" freezers), Peltier coolers for computer chips and
refrigerators, that sort of thing.

Rule #1 for orchid growing is to grow what you CAN grow. Of
course, we always want what we can't have, which is rule number 2 (grow
the plants you want the most). (Apologies to Rob for bending his rules!)
Dracs may or may not be difficult for you, depending upon your own
conditions.

I also note that American Science and Surplus (www.sciplus.com)
sells cute little Peltiers that are designed to operate off of 12 volts
that would be ideal for a do-it-yourself chiller. Product code 35206. No
idea if they've been used, or if they're new.

E-mail address in the header is a spam trap. Don't send mail
there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Dracula's Syona Rose Too Orchids 0 02-06-2004 01:04 PM
All I wanted was a Dracula Vampira...but I can't find a vendor! Sinister Orchids 5 01-06-2004 09:05 PM
dracula vampira agnatha3141 Orchids 7 18-11-2003 10:02 AM
Dracula erythrochaete GrlIntrpted Orchids 9 18-11-2003 02:04 AM
Dracula vampira (was Time to fess up - What the most you've paid?) TU Orchids 2 02-03-2003 09:05 AM