Old 12-09-2004, 04:06 PM
dd

Default Roots instead of spikes...

This morning when I was watering, I noticed that many of my S/H
phals--more than 30-- have developed or are developing aerial roots
where I'd expect a spike. These are plants that previously did not have
aerial roots. Argh!

I looked in Mary Noble's Phal book, and she writes: "Along the sides of
the stem in the axil of each leaf are two or three tiny buds...these
buds are like little bumps. They are capable of developing into
flowering or vegetative parts." [ I assume that "vegetative parts"
includes "roots".] These buds remain quiescent until envronmental
conditions induce the plant to produce flowers or new growths. "

Okay, so why am I getting all these roots instead of spikes? Is the
plant merely reacting to S/H? Am I over-fertilizing? Am I doing
something else wrong? How can I reverse this trend toward roots instead
of flowers?

My primary fertilizer is Dyna-Gro Grow, 7-9-5, and the leaves do not
exhibit fertilizer burn. The plants look healthy, except that they are
not setting spikes. They are getting almost a 15-degree drop in
temperature at night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
K Barrett

What's the night time temperatures?

http://primera.tamu.edu/orchids/orchids.htm

K Barrett

Old 12-09-2004, 05:23 PM
dd

About 65 degrees.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:23:03 +0000, dd wrote:

About 65 degrees.

A lower nightime temp is needed to get the blooming cycle going I believe.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
dd

Thanks, I'll drop it to 60 degrees and see what happens. I have some
phals in bloom and in spike, so all of them aren't reacting like
this--just some of them. Right now, the temperature is 82 degrees.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:05 PM
danny

I've managed to bloom a lot of Phals without getting the temp much below 70,
although dropping to 60 a few nights would certainly help some of the
plants. Make sure they are getting enough light. Is it time for them to
spike in your part of the country? It's still too early here for most of
the standard white/pink hybrids.

I think the dormant buds you mentioned can only become spikes or new growths
(keikeis), not spikes or roots. It's quite common for my Phals to grow some
of the roots laterally as the plant gets older and starts climbing higher in
the pot.

-danny

Old 13-09-2004, 12:11 AM
mg

I've seen this with Phals in SH. My conclusion is that the roots in the
pot are wet and the plant is climbing out of the pot. I don't consider
aerial roots a bad thing.

Old 13-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Ray

I have all of my collection of phal hybrids in S/H, and some do the aerial
root thing and some don't. I don't see it as a problem either way.

FWIW, the phals I have had for resale - mostly in CHC/perlite/charcoal - do
the same thing, which leads me to conclude that it's not a s/h issue.

FWIW, part 2: Since upping my feeding rate to about 125 ppm N, I see a lot
less of it.

..

Old 13-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Reka

The consensus, if I remember correctly, is that a drop in temperature from day to night of about 10-15°F is more important than the
absolute night temperature.
--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:23:03 +0000, dd wrote:

About 65 degrees.

A lower nightime temp is needed to get the blooming cycle going I believe.

---

Old 13-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Reka

wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:23:03 +0000, dd wrote:

About 65 degrees.

A lower nightime temp is needed to get the blooming cycle going I believe.

---

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Phal: spikes and roots Reka Orchids 7 14-11-2004 08:43 AM
white conical spikes on tomato plants Salty Thumb Gardening 5 17-06-2003 03:08 PM
Anyone ever use Miracle-grow spikes? Jerry Lawns 0 30-03-2003 05:20 PM
Miracle Grow Plant Spikes Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 27-03-2003 12:44 AM