Old 24-09-2004, 02:01 AM
Ray

Nights are typically cooler, which is more favorable to fungal growth.

If your plants are THAT dry after a day, then you're not watering well
enough and/or your environment is too dry. Misting the roots alone does not
add all that much of a fungal threat. It's the crown I was concerned about.

..
"Xi Wang" wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks for your comments Ray. I know it's not great to mist the roots in
the evening, and they say you should do it in the morning, but sometimes
if the aerial roots have been dry all day then I just can't help it. What
is the reasoning behind the whole 'mist in the morning' maxim? I mean, I
see no reason why fungi would be more likely to strike at night than
during the day.

Cheers,
Xi

Ray wrote:
Oh, yeah, one more thing: the sentence that has the words "night" and
"misting" is not so good a sign. Leaving a plant damp in the evening is
not a good idea, as that's a perfect invitation for rot.

Old 24-09-2004, 06:54 AM
Xi Wang

Hi Ray

Thanks for the advice. But no, I was aware of crown rot and I'm always
careful about not getting water in there. I lost my first phal to crown
rot, but since then I have learned my lesson and haven't had any more
problems. I just mist the aerial roots sticking out of the pot, the
other roots that are in the mix are usually never dried out.

Cheers,
Xi

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
success saving jade from root rot sebres Gardening 0 01-06-2003 05:20 PM
crown rot Orchids 6 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
crown rot -- please advise! Tanya Orchids 8 04-03-2003 05:39 PM
root rot bb Orchids 4 08-02-2003 01:49 PM