Old 25-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Heather

Default White fuzz

Help…. I have some sort of white fuzzy stuff on my indoor plants. It
started on the fronds of a lady palm and has killed both those plants.
Now I've seen it on the orchids both the phalaenopsis (under the
leaves and like fluff where the leaf attaches to the stem) and in
the dendrobiums under the leaves. This morning I noticed it in my
Swedish ivy. The only place that I've not yet seen it is in the
cactuses (in the mammillaria family) and on other hanging type plant
with round waxy leaves and small pink flowers (it was a rescue so I'm
not sure what it actually is).
I've tried washing the orchids with a dawn solution and then rinsing
thoroughly but the fuzz has come back. What is it and what can I do
about it.
Thanks
Heather
Old 25-10-2004, 08:51 PM
kenty ;-\)

Hi Heather,it could/sounds like mealy bug.These are tough to get rid of.I
would spray/soak the plant with a systemic solution.I am in the U.K,we use
ultimate bug killer which is really good stuff.Were are you from?You want to
do a google search and look for what you have.There are others with more
experience than me who might have other ideas.
Check out the link below for pests.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3640.html

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
om...

Old 26-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Heather

Well we didn't have any alcohol in the house this morning and I was
frustrated so I poured Scope mouthwash on one of the orchids this
morning. Hope it doesn't hurt anything too much. I'll head to the
store this afternoon and see what I can find.
Heather

Old 29-10-2004, 02:42 AM

Hi Heather,

Sorry bout your mealie bug problem. Don't even get me started, I
hate those things. As for your waxy plant it sounds like a Hoya.
Absolutely beautiful, tropical, like from Hawaii. Now before I go any
further, quick, run grab this plant and hide it. I had a hoya once and
the dreaded mealies killed it in a matter of days. Remember they hide
every where, the medium, pot, tray, stand, and under the leaves. Keep
this group posted on your progress. I for one want to remember some
treatment for this dreaded bug. I want to start a revolt on them where
when someone screams mealie we all come a runnin with total eradication
on our minds. I'm gonna get me a t-shirt that says I loath, hate,
despise, have no use for mealies. Good luck, go get em!!!! Keep us
posted.

Burr

Old 02-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Don

Mixture of 40 parts water, 8 parts dish soap, 10 parts alcohol in a spray
bottle will give good control.
Spray the entire plant, pay close attention to the under side of all leaves.
Rinse the plant with clear water after 10 minutes or so. Now the important
part, repeat this 3 times with in the next 10 days to break the life cycle
of the mealies.
This has always worked for me. I can spray the entire greenhouse in a
couple of hours and not have to worry about the possible toxic effects of
commercial products, and besides I am cheap - why pay the big bucks when you
can get effective control with house hold products.
All the best
Don

Old 14-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather
Help…. I have some sort of white fuzzy stuff on my indoor plants. It
started on the fronds of a lady palm and has killed both those plants.
Now I've seen it on the orchids both the phalaenopsis (under the
leaves and like fluff where the leaf attaches to the stem) and in
the dendrobiums under the leaves. This morning I noticed it in my
Swedish ivy. The only place that I've not yet seen it is in the
cactuses (in the mammillaria family) and on other hanging type plant
with round waxy leaves and small pink flowers (it was a rescue so I'm
not sure what it actually is).
I've tried washing the orchids with a dawn solution and then rinsing
thoroughly but the fuzz has come back. What is it and what can I do
about it.
Thanks
Heather
Hi Don,

I live in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and am having Mealie Bug problems on my Hibiscus - we cannot get alcohol out here easily - any other solution to the problem beside Malathion?

Bernie
Old 14-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Rob Halgren

I live in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and am having Mealie Bug
problems on my Hibiscus - we cannot get alcohol out here easily - any
other solution to the problem beside Malathion?

Bernie

That's ok, Bernie. The kind of alcohol you want to use is not the
kind that people drink. You want isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol,
medicinal alcohol - the stuff they swab on your arm before you get a
vaccination). You should be able to find some at the local pharmacist.
Ask for isopropyl alcohol by name. Sometimes they dye it blue or green.

Alcohol for human consumption is ethanol. Don't ever drink
isopropanol, it will kill you quite dead. Failing finding any of those
things, look for a horticultural grade oil. Apply per directions. It
suffocates the bugs. Some people spray with a detergent solution (a
little dish soap in water, shake well and spray). That removes the waxy
coating from the bugs and they dry out and die. All sorts of ways to
kill bugs.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 14-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Rob Halgren

[...]

Brown/Green spots and White fuzz chris Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-08-2005 10:25 AM
White fuzz Heather Orchids 0 25-10-2004 08:18 PM
White fuzz on top of soil Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 31-07-2004 06:15 PM
White fuzz on top of soil maccheesedog United Kingdom 1 31-07-2004 06:15 PM
white fuzz on Daylily tops Richard D Gardening 0 03-06-2003 09:20 PM