Old 08-11-2004, 10:10 PM
bk

Default Liquid Nail

I've never used Liquid Nail to attach plants to trees, but yesterday Martin
Motes of Motes Orchids, suggested that's the best way to get your orchids on
trees. I've always used stiff wire. Half hour at RF Orchids, they told us
never to Liguid Nails and only use wire.

Any thoughts out there??

Old 08-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Kenni Judd

For small plants, Liquid Nails can work OK, although you still have to find
a way to secure the plant while it dries. But the very best thing is nylons
[pantyhose, stockings, etc.]. Cut the legs into long strips about 1/2"
wide.

If you don't have access to some that are destined for the trash due to
runs, visit your local grocery or drug store and check the bargain/clearance
carts; there are usually some Queensize on sale for 69-89 cents.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

ink.net...

Old 09-11-2004, 12:31 AM
bb

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:10:46 GMT, "bk" wrote:

I've never used Liquid Nail to attach plants to trees, but yesterday Martin
Motes of Motes Orchids, suggested that's the best way to get your orchids on
trees. I've always used stiff wire. Half hour at RF Orchids, they told us
never to Liguid Nails and only use wire.

Any thoughts out there??

Liquid nails? Heck, I just use a galvanized 16 penny nail, as long as
it's not aa very big plant. Ain't never had one fall off the plank.

bb

Old 09-11-2004, 04:32 PM
K Barrett

Hot glue guns work too. Greg Allikas used to talk about that on
OrchidSafari.

K Barrett

ink.net...

Old 09-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

The reason why Liquid Nails is mentioned is that it is not toxic to orchids,
as are some other glues (don't ask: I don't have a list!). Elmer's Glue is
also okay with orchids.

Diana

Old 10-11-2004, 12:03 AM
bk

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
The reason why Liquid Nails is mentioned is that it is not toxic to
orchids,
as are some other glues (don't ask: I don't have a list!). Elmer's Glue
is
also okay with orchids.

Diana

Nice to know. I can't image Elmer's sticking to a tree, but the liquid nail
sets pretty fast.

Old 10-11-2004, 05:51 PM
J. Del Col

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message link.net...
The reason why Liquid Nails is mentioned is that it is not toxic to orchids,
as are some other glues (don't ask: I don't have a list!). Elmer's Glue is
also okay with orchids.

Will Elmer's hold up to moisture?

J. Del Col
Old 10-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Dewitt

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:32:03 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Hot glue guns work too. Greg Allikas used to talk about that on
OrchidSafari.

I read somewhere that hot glues melt at different temps and that the
ones with lower melting points were less likely to damage plants.

deg

Old 10-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Diana Kulaga

Will Elmer's hold up to moisture?

Seems to, but for how long I won't say. We have used it to fasten bromeliads
to driftwood, but we also used some ties along with it. Think about how we
mix Elmer's with cinnamon for a fungal paste; seems to hold up pretty well.
If I were tying an orchid to a tree I'd use more than either Elmer's or
Liquid Nails, I think. A little wire or some old pantyhose (which works
better than wire, really) along with the glue makes for a secure attachment
until the plant takes hold.

Diana

Old 11-11-2004, 04:14 AM
Bob Walsh

I've not seen any reference to which Elmer's Glue people are talking about.
There are Elmer's for school, probably dissolves in water, Elmer's for
woodworking, doesn't dissolve easily if at all (don't let it dry on your
clothes), an Elmer's for offices and an Elmer's for woodworking thats
polyurethane that I know nothing about.

In short, check out which glue your going to use and its qualities first.
Maybe those who have used Elmer's could tell which Emler's has worked for
them.

Bob

Old 11-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Ray

The household Elmer's glue is casein-based (milk) and is water soluble, but
the dissolution is very slow unless immersed.

According to a few of my customers, if applied to a mount and the plant is
held in place until it dries thoroughly, it will do quite a decent job
holding the plant in place until the roots take over the job. If the glue
stays wet, let's say due to water trapped between the plant and the mount,
it will dissolve faster, but if it gets wet then dries quickly, it should
not be a problem.

Personally, I take the quick way out and spread coconut husk fiber over the
roots and use a staple gun to attach the periphery of the "net" to the
mount. Once the plant is established, the staples are really easy to remove

..

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message

link.net...
The reason why Liquid Nails is mentioned is that it is not toxic to

orchids,
as are some other glues (don't ask: I don't have a list!). Elmer's

Glue is
also okay with orchids.

Will Elmer's hold up to moisture?

J. Del Col

Bostitch C5R80BDG Thickcoat 1-3/4-Inch by .080-Inch by 15 Degree Ring Shank Coil Siding Nail (4,200 per Box) [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 22-05-2009 02:13 AM
nail holes in liner Michael Shaffer Ponds 1 06-04-2003 09:56 PM
Nail-biting time animaux Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Liquid Design on HGTV K30a Ponds 10 27-01-2003 04:07 AM