Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Xi Wang

Default sulfur fungicide on orchids

Hi group,

I went out to check out some of the fungicides available where I live,
and I found one that seems pretty broad spectrum. It's a sulfur based
fungicide though (~12% sulfur) and I was wondering, would this be safe
for my orchids? I know some people dust fresh cuttings with sulfur...
Any info would be appeciated. TIA

Cheers,
Xi
Old 08-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Phalguy

Hello!

I know some people dust fresh cuttings with ground cinnamon !

Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Aaron Hicks

I think "Safer's" makes a spray fungicide that uses sulfur as the
active ingredient.

Many years ago, I used some Frasch sulfur from my rock collection
to clear up mildew that had absolutely covered the medium in which I was
growing at the time (tree fern- circa 1985). It worked very well, and had
no discernable negative impact on the phal seedlings.

The address in the header doesn't work. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 08-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Xi Wang

Hi,

Yea, that's actually the one that I saw at the store. It's supposed to
be 12% sulfur. I'm not sure how they get it in solution really, because
it's supposedly elemental sulfur according to the CAS registry number.

Cheers,
Xi

Old 09-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Aaron Hicks

I don't think the sulfur is dissolved. I've never used the stuff,
but it's probably just ultra-fine sulfur mixed with water.

If the bottle suggests shaking it really, really well before
application, than this is probably the case!

The address in the header is bogus. Send no e-mail there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

LIme sulfur or copper or sulfur spray Sandra Bodycoat Australia 8 08-07-2010 02:04 PM
[IBC] Applying Lime Sulfur Bill Watkins Bonsai 33 22-10-2004 06:09 PM
Sulfur query dada Orchids 5 08-06-2004 04:32 PM
dormant spray questions? sulfur vs. copper etc r1 Gardening 3 16-12-2003 05:04 PM
[IBC] Lime Sulfur Bill Watkins Bonsai 9 03-12-2003 03:08 PM