Old 26-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Larry

Default phal money

I have a phal labeled Phal. money. I remember buying it from a vendor at an
orchid show a couple years ago. It has not bloomed yet, though it is very
healthy with 3 leaves, several new and old healthy roots, and growing
nicely. It is mounted on a thick wooden branch (I think a grape vine). The
humor was "money growing on trees".

Surprisingly, I tried to find a picture of one but can't, even after an
extensive Google search.

Can anyone point me to a photo?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Old 26-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Xi Wang

The orchid may be too new:
Phal. Money [Hausermann 2002] = Phal. Mary Rose X Phal. Dawn Treader

I couldn't find a pic of the former, but Phal. Dawn Treader is pictured here
http://orchidview.com/gallery2.htm

Cheers,
Xi

Old 27-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Xi Wang

Hi Larry,

I've done some number crunching, and the composition of Phal. Money is
roughly as follows:

40.7% amabilis
12.6% aphrodite
3.5% equestris
3.1% lueddemanniana
5.1% sanderiana
17.6% schilleriana
17.3% stuartiana
0.1% rounding error.

It has the equivalent of 15 generations of breeding in it. From the
genetics and immediate parents/grandparents of the plant, I'd say
classic big white phal with light spotting centrally. Hopefully it will
bloom soon - remember to send me a picture okay?

Cheers,
Xi

Larry wrote:
Thanks!

Larry

Old 27-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Ray

EFG grows many of them mounted on driftwood. The plant was named as a joke
to prove "money does grow on trees."

If I recall, they're pretty much standard whites.

. ..

Old 28-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Larry

It's very possible I bought it from EFG, since they frequently are vendors
at the Jacksonville orchid show each Spring.

Larry

"Ray" wrote in message
EFG grows many of them mounted on driftwood. The plant was named as a
joke to prove "money does grow on trees."

If I recall, they're pretty much standard whites.

. ..