Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 PM
OrchidKitty

Default repotting in sheath

I have several recently acquired catts in sheath (nothing in the
sheaths yet), and I'd like to repot the plants and put them outside for
the summer. Is it safe to repot them when they are in the "early
sheath" stage? The media isn't totally toast, but it's disintegrating.
If it is safe to repot them now, should I stick to the same bark media
they're in, or can I switch to semi-hydro without sending them into
shock? Thanks for any input.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:46 PM
keith ;-\)

If you are just potting on into a larger pot they should be o.k.If you are
dividing /trimming roots etc I would leave them until they have
flowered,best when the new growths are emerging so you know there will be
good root activity so the plant isn't sitting in new bark and not growing.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
oups.com...

Old 06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
Steve

OrchidKitty wrote:
I have several recently acquired catts in sheath (nothing in the
sheaths yet), and I'd like to repot the plants and put them outside for
the summer. Is it safe to repot them when they are in the "early
sheath" stage? The media isn't totally toast, but it's disintegrating.
If it is safe to repot them now, should I stick to the same bark media
they're in, or can I switch to semi-hydro without sending them into
shock? Thanks for any input.

I can think of 2 good reasons to wait. If you disturb them by repotting
now, any buds that do decide to form in those sheaths have an increased
chance of failing. Even if you are gentle they will be disturbed because
you really should clean off all the old medium since it is
disintegrating. If you decide on semi-hydro, even more reason to clean
the roots well.
The other reason to hold off is because of what wind does to newly
potted plants. Maybe your location isn't as prone to wind as mine and
maybe you are good at using rhizome clips and stakes. You will find that
if the plant moves around when the wind blows it will not make new roots
as it should.
That brings me to reason 2A (roots continued). You really should try to
repot right as the plant starts growing new roots. That's just as (if
not more) important when you switch over to semi-hydro. If some of your
Catts happen to be at that stage and if you can prevent wind from
rocking the plants in their pots and damaging the root tips, then give
it a try if you want. You still might slightly increase the chance of
failing buds but not nearly as much as a plant that has to sit for weeks
or months with compromised roots.

Steve (who appears to be feeling very chatty tonight)